Windows 10: Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7

Discus and support Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello, I have dual boot systems win7 and win10. Win 10 is primary system on SSD Disk0 with 2 partitions, boot/system and recovery. Bios MBR. (not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by misha, Sep 25, 2018.

1. misha Win User

Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7

hello,

I have dual boot systems win7 and win10.

Win 10 is primary system on SSD Disk0 with 2 partitions, boot/system and recovery. Bios MBR. (not uefi)
    Win 7 is on Disk3 part1 , all is working fine , both systems boot via win10 startup menu.
    Disks 1 and 2 are GPT raid0, data only. (disk1 3tb , disk2 1tb)

disk0 1. win10/boot/sytem 2.recovery (mbr/ssd)
    disk1 1. raida500gb 2. simple (gpt)
    disk2 1.raidb500gb 2. simple 3.simple (gpt)
    disk3 1.win7sys 2. primary 3. primary

Recently (since some sep. win7 kb update, but may not be the reason), my win10 partition become inaccessible in win7 system and is seen as RAW in disk manager and diskpart., BUT!, it is seen normal ntfs in Minitool part manager and other partition software.??

I've tried full shutdown/restart if it were fast-startup the reason in win10 , but to no avail.

Repeat, both systems function normally (it seems), BCD is valid in win10 , but of course it doesn't work in win7 anymore because db is not accessible.

What can be the reason, any ideas?

Thanks

:)

misha, Sep 25, 2018
  2. tdug Win User

Upgrading possible ? Dual boot (XP-32 / W7-64) to (XP-32 / W10-64)

Hi everybody,

I have a dual boot PC with Windows XP (32 bits) and Windows 7 (64 bits), both installed on a 500 Go SSD.

I have a 500 Go HDD for My documents, other data and games. Having two drives on a PC didn't cause any problem for upgrading W7 on another PC
    but there was no other OS.

My 2nd PC is declared to be W10 compatible.

The active partition is the one with XP. So the one with W7 is
    not active.

My two questions :

• Will the upgrade process be able to upgrade W7 even if it is not the active partition ?
    • Will XP and the dual boot persist ?
    Any experience with dual boot and W10 upgrading ?

3. Is it safe to increase the size of my System Reserved partition in a Win7/Win10 dual boot?

I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 in a dual-boot state (Win10 installed after Win7, both on different drives); but my Win7 installation does not create a separate
    System Reserved partition. I assume that all Win10 files which are stored in a
    System Reserved partition are stored in the System Reserved partition created by Win7...

...But there is one problem: As a stand-alone OS, Win10 creates a 500MB
    System Reserved partition, and my Win7 System Reserved partition is only 100MB, and my dual-boot Win10 installation is using or sharing the Win7
    System Reserved partition, since it was created first.

Here's the dual-boot screen:

Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7 cf644c55-f847-422d-bd66-ff09039d0443.jpg

Here's the dual-boot setup in Win10:

Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7 3a5cc4d6-5cfc-42a8-9f59-41e5cd897c8b.jpg

And here is the dual-boot setup in Win7:

Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7 2a45209f-1202-4778-8837-74fa47d5eba0.jpg

Given a test run, I discovered that, with Win7 and Win10 on your machine, you can't have 2 separate
    System Reserved partitions (one on the Win7 drive and one on the Win10 drive), because upon boot of one OS or the other, errors, blue screens and the need to repeatedly check the disks for consistency have the potential to corrupt either one OS or
    both.

Since my assumption is that the Win7/Win10 dual-boot setup shares the same
    System Reserved
    partition, is it safe to increase the size of this partition to 600MB (100MB for Win7 + 500MB for Win10), especially with the possibility that Win10 may dump enough files into this partition to completely fill or overwhelm the original
    100MB that was created with the Win7 installation? I have Acronis Disk Director 12, which can resize any volume, before or after the OS partition.

CookyMonzta, Sep 25, 2018
  4. jbb_user Win User

Win7 / Win10 dual boot only boots to Win10

I have a home build machine with a dual partition for booting either Win7 or Win10 selectable.

The order was Win7 followed by Win10 in the menu.

The machine would always display a screen where I could select either Win7 or Win 10. If I didn't select in time the default was the first in the menu which was Win7

Starting this evening the machine no longer displays the selection menu but instead boots immediately and directly to Win10.

What's wrong?

How can I fix this so it works the original way?

jbb_user, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7 - Similar Threads - Dual boot w10

2. Dead laptop that was running a dual boot with W7 and W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead laptop that was running a dual boot with W7 and W10: I have a HP Pavillion laptop that was faithfully running a dual boot setup with W7 and W10 for a few years. However, I made the fatal mistake of powering off the laptop when it asked which OS should run. Now the laptop is dead. DEAD. When the power button is pushed it...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.

Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.: Just curious, is it possible to carry out a clean install of 10 on my hard drive which has 7 and 10 as a dual boot? obviously on the 10 partition. Thank you. 110034
  5. Dual Boot W10/W7 error message on boot

Dual Boot W10/W7 error message on boot: I have W10 and W7 on separate drives, and used the information on this thread Solved EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives - Windows 10 Forums to enable dual booting without using the F8. The dual boot was followed from the W10 installation, and...
  6. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...
  7. W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem

W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem: I want to Dual Boot my existing W7 pro with W10 pro as in Dual Boot Tutorial by Brink. I made W10 Installation USB removed fast boot & secure boot and installed W10. I have W7 (C drive) on a 500gb SSD and installed a new 500gb SSD for W10 (D drive) I installed W10 on the D...
  8. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot w7 and w10

2. dual boot w7 w10 sdd en hdd

3. dual boot w7 w10

4. oracle dual os w10 64 to w7 32,
  5. duel boot w10 with w10,
  6. w10 with w7