Windows 10: Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove?

Discus and support Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to install Linux along side of Windows 10. This was a Forced Upgrade from windows 7, and I am somewhat clueless as to exactly what happens when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove?

I want to install Linux along side of Windows 10. This was a Forced Upgrade from windows 7, and I am somewhat clueless as to exactly what happens when windows 10 comes through like this? I don't know which partitions are left over from 7 and which ones are windows 10.

1. I can only assume the one labeled as 450MB Healthy (Recovery Partition) is from windows 7.

2. along with the FACTORY_IMAGE D: is also from windows 7.

3. It appears that there is only three Primary's, so maybe I can just install along side just the way it is? Or, maybe I can remove those Recovery Partitions and then install Linux in Dual Boot. The Dual Boot part I can handle, it's just trying to figure out if I am indeed seeing only Three Primary's. I will leave the only output I could muster up, if you need a screenshot just say the word. Or a better Command to get the job done, to show all Primary's.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Primary 583 GB 101 MB
    Partition 3 Recovery 450 MB 583 GB
    Partition 4 Primary 11 GB 584 GB

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 0 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
    Volume 1 SYSTEM NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System
    Volume 2 C HP NTFS Partition 583 GB Healthy Boot
    Volume 3 D FACTORY_IMA NTFS Partition 11 GB Healthy
    Volume 4 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

:)

FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017
  2. bobrcnut Win User

Replace dual boot XP/Win8.1 with dual boot XP/Win10?

From what I've seen here, it will not be possible to set up a new dual boot system with Windows 10 in one partition, but what about replacing Win8.1 with Windows 10 on a system that is ALREADY dual boot? In other words, can I boot into the existing Win8.1
    system, then do the Win10 upgrade to that partition without affecting the XP partition?

bobrcnut, Jun 12, 2017
  3. Install Win 10 Pro as dual boot currently have Win 7 Pro

Can you provide tutorial how partition in disk manager in Win 7 Pro?

Also must format partition e.g. NTFS ... if plan dual boot with Win 10 Pro?

also what partition type must do e.g. Primary or Logical or ... ? Win 10 Pro must installed in only Primary partitions as dual boot[2nd OS]?

Lse123polis, Jun 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove?

Partition 1 is the System Reserved Partition that contains the Windows boot loader files (legacy BIOS).
    Partition 2 is the C: drive Windows OS partition
    Partition 3 is the Windows 10 Recovery Environment (the menu that appears if you hold down Shift and click on Restart).
    Partition 4 is the factory recovery partition from Windows 7, which is more than likely unusable now that the OS has been upgraded to Windows 10.

You can delete Partitions 3 and 4. Deleting partition 3 means that to get to the recovery environment menu you would have to boot from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2017
  5. @NavyLCDR, Well that is very interesting, I'll need to think about this and ask questions tomorrow.

I wonder if marking Windows 7 Recovery Partition as Active and Re-Booting would allow to recover it to a usable OS, or if that is any help to me LOL?

I'll probably delete those partitions and install Linux in dual boot for now. Or maybe even leave them, what do you think?

FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The factory recovery partitions are rarely bootable, you can always try. If I wanted to use the space, I would delete them both. And make sure to have a bootable USB flash drive or DVD with recovery capability.

NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2017
  7. I'll go ahead and do that!

FunkMaster, Jun 13, 2017
  8. Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove?

NavyLCDR

Hello,

Wouldn't it be just as easy to shrink the primary to create a new RAW partition space where he could install his new OS?

I just did 5 dual boot systems with dual SSD's, one Win7 the other Win10. Learned long ago fresh installs are the only way to go when putzing with these beasts to get them running stable. I just use F8 at boot up to select what I want to boot from or change the primary boot disk in BIOS to autoboot to the OS I am dealing with on an extended basis. After the fact when installing the OCZ SSD utility for a few of the SSD's did I learn about over-provisioning. Essentially leaving RAW space for future use when the chips start wearing out so you have fresh unused chips to put back online. Two for the price of one! *Smile So on the boxes that didn't have this utility I was forced to use volume shrinking to achieve the same goal and it all works fine.

Just a thought.
    Cheers!

PreyMantas, Jun 13, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. Delete the factory recovery partition and the OP gets an instant 11 GB of free space without affecting the Windows partition at all. In addition, this is a computer booting in legacy BIOS mode with an MBR partitioned drive which has a limit of 4 primary partitions. Only shrinking the OS partition would still leave the drive with the maximum number of partitions on it and one or more of the existing primary partitions would have to be converted to an extended partition with logical drives.

Deleting the next to useless Windows Recovery Environment partition and he instantly gains another 1/2 GB and reduces the number of primary partitions to 2 existing out of 4 maximum.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Re. vols 3 and 4, I think 3 is win 7 old partition, and 4 is Win 10.

cereberus, Jun 13, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 7 Recovery will not fit in 450 MB

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Read first post again. Partition 3 is the large one, and partition 4 is smaller one. I think you have got them back to front.

cereberus, Jun 14, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I think you might be looking at the wrong first post.

Partition 3 at 450 MB is much smaller than Partition 4 at 11 GB.

NavyLCDR, Jun 14, 2017
  14. Hey guys! I was able to Delete only one: Partition 4 Primary 11 GB 584 GB

How can I Delete the Other one?: Partition 3 Recovery 450 MB 583 GB
    I take it this one is only the old Window 7 Recovery Tool, or is it something to do with Windows 10? It doesn't look to be a Primary so Don't really need to Delete it but would like to just to keep things clean.

I will be ready to Dual Boot once I do this.

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Primary 583 GB 101 MB
    Partition 3 Recovery 450 MB 583 GB
    Partition 4 Primary 11 GB 584 GB

FunkMaster, Jun 15, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is keeping you from deleting the partition?

diskpart
    select disk 0
    select part 3 <- assuming the recovery partition is still #3
    delete part override
    exit

NavyLCDR, Jun 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot partitions

2. how to fix dual boot partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to fix dual boot partition?: I have tried easyBCD to fix, bootrec rebuildbcd, nothing worked and I'm not sure whats going on. can't seem to find this issue on google as well. attached screenshot below: (before anyone says anything, windows 10 exhibits the same behavior and I am simply using this...
  3. Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition: Hi so I have had a Windows 10 install on my PC for around 3 years and wanted to try the new Windows 10 insider builds and so I created a separate Windows 10 install on another drive in my PC so it doesn’t conflict with my main Windows 10 install however the new install has...
  4. Delete second EFI partition after removing Linux partition from dual boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete second EFI partition after removing Linux partition from dual boot: [ATTACH] Hi, I've recently uninstalled Linux from my system by just deleting the volume from Windows 10's disk management utility. I tried to delete the second EFI partition I created during the Linux installation [twice - once Kubuntu and once Manjaro]. When I used...
  5. Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up: I am trying to dual boot OSX and Windows 10 on my desktop computer. OSX is fully installed, and I have created Windows 10 install media on a flash drive. I am able to boot into the installer, but when I tell the installer to install in the unallocated space ~250gb, it...
  6. Disk Partition Question After Removing Dual Boot

Disk Partition Question After Removing Dual Boot: I have a desktop PC that was originally Win 7. Back in January, I installed Win 10 in a dual boot configuration. All has been fine with Win 10 so I am ready to remove the dual boot (Win 7) OS. I've read the tutorial on removing it here: How to Remove and Uninstall Windows 7,...
  7. How can I dual boot if I already have 4 partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I dual boot if I already have 4 partitions?: So, I am trying to dual boot a Linux distro (not relevant) but I can't seem to make a partition for it, saying I can't have more than 4 primary partitions, (F:) being the flash drive with the OS. [ATTACH] I have looked at numerous tutorials but I can't seem to understand...
  8. Dual boot remove

Dual boot remove: Hi ...anyone help me to remove window 10 and kali dual boot...i want only windows 10 [ Moved from: Mobile devices / Other Windows mobile devices / Settings / Other/Unknown ]...
  9. Can i install 7 on another partition and have dual boot ?

Can i install 7 on another partition and have dual boot ?: I am thinking of having dual boot to 7 and 10, i have 10 now can i install 7 on another partition and have dual boot ? 68579
  10. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?: This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot environment on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've done this one other systems in the past enough to where it had become pretty...