Windows 10: Dual Boot - Will this create a problem?

Discus and support Dual Boot - Will this create a problem? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded to W10 from W7 using the free upgrade from MS. All is well. I would like to entertain a dual boot scenario to put W7 back on my HD. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by miata54, Oct 27, 2017.

1. miata54 Win User

Dual Boot - Will this create a problem?

I just upgraded to W10 from W7 using the free upgrade from MS. All is well. I would like to entertain a dual boot scenario to put W7 back on my HD. I have created a new partition for it, however, W7, and all the apps that came with it, are on 4 recovery disks that came with my CTO. Would I be able to install W7 to the new partition using these 4 disks?

Thanks

:)

miata54, Oct 27, 2017

2. Tried to create a dual boot os but failed

Hi all

I believe I have done something very stupid when trying to create a dual boot setup and need assistance fixing it if possible.

I have/had windows 10 installed on my laptop and want to install MS Server 2012rs, I got an iso from the Microsoft website and proceeded to install the sever. As I was installing it I didn’t pay enough attention and didn’t partion the drive and just installed
    it straight on to the C: drive and now when I boot up my laptop it boots straight in to MS Server 2012rs and not into my Windows 10 like it used to.

I was able to find all my Windows 10 files in the windows.old folder but I have no idea how to restore/recover these and get my window 10 back on my laptop.

If any one can help me get off MS Server 2012rs and back on to Windows 10 It would be much appriciated

Knucklez89, Oct 27, 2017
  3. RDrr Win User
    Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a dual-boot computer that also has Windows 7 as the primary OS.

Babu V ...that link is for how to create a dual boot system.

The question was about doing an upgrade of one opsys on an already existing dual boot system.

4. NavyLCDR New Member

1. The factory recovery disks will probably not let you just install Windows 7 to the partition of your choosing.

2. You are not legally entitled to run both Windows 7 and Windows 10 dual booting. You have 1 license for Windows that entitles you to 1 install of Windows, and you are wanting to install two different versions of Windows from that 1 license - violating the EULA.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2017
  5. miata54 Win User
    Thanks Navy LCDR. Just the info I needed.

miata54, Oct 27, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does the computer have a Windows 7 COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on it with a product key printed on it? If so, that is the product key you would use to re-install Windows 7 with, and you can get the generic Windows 7 ISO file from here:
    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2017
  7. miata54 Win User
    Yes, it has the sticker on the side of the case that shows a product key. I will get the generic Win 7 ISO from the link you provided. This ought to keep me busy this weekend!

Thanks

miata54, Oct 27, 2017
  8. Dual Boot - Will this create a problem?

Virtualize Windows 7. If the computer can run Windows 10 natively, then it should easily be able to virtualize Windows 7. It's simple to set up, and won't cause any boot issues.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot - Will this create a problem? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot create

2. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  3. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  4. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem with Dual Boot

Problem with Dual Boot: I had installed Windows 10 and windows 7 on seperate partitions of a drive and the dual boot option was showing and working fine but now, i resized the partition Which failed in the process and now i don't see any windows 10 boot option at startup. My computer boots into...
  6. Dual Boot Problem

Dual Boot Problem: I have a dual boot desktop PC. One SSD is running Windows 10 Home, the other SSD is running an image of the first.I usually create a new image once a month or after a cumulative update and/or feature release has been providedI've just created an image using Acronis Disc...
  7. Dual Booting Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Booting Problem: In my computer I have 2 SSD. 1 is for my personal use. 1 is for work use. The work use one was cloned from my wife's work PC. I would like to be able to choose from either drive upon startup. However, upon installing the work SSD, it appears that it's drive letter is set to...
  8. Dual boot problems

Dual boot problems: I install some days before on a win7 system win10. Dual boot menu was starting at the beginning of every boot and i choose what i wanted. Windows 7 is very importand for me cause i have installed a digital signature on them and it does not work on Win10. Today this menu of...
  9. Dual-Boot Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual-Boot Problems: I want to get Windows 10 to boot by default, but Ubuntu always does. I have an SSD (W10) and an HDD (Ubuntu) installed in my laptop. I cannot get Windows 10 to boot by default? I went into UEFI, boot order, and set OS to boot priority, and then went into the subdirectory of...
  10. Dual boot problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot problems: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 pro configured as a dual boot system, business and personal. My business side boots fine, the personal side accepts password and then goes to a black screen with a mouse pointer showing, the pointer moves with mouse activity but does not...