Windows 10: Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up

Discus and support Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a play system with Win10 installed and wanted to put XP on it as well and be able to dual boot. Of course I've done it the wrong way round and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sam Vimes, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up

I have a play system with Win10 installed and wanted to put XP on it as well and be able to dual boot. Of course I've done it the wrong way round and wonder if there's anyway to recover from my screw up without reloading WIn10, which is not a big deal anyway, just time consuming.

Having Win10 installed already I shrank the Win10 partition (CDual boot Win10 and XP screw up :) and made a new one (DDual boot Win10 and XP screw up :) and installed XP into this. Now the machine boots directly to XP, when I'd really like to be able to choose which one to use.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Sam Vimes, Feb 6, 2019
  2. bobrcnut Win User

Replace dual boot XP/Win8.1 with dual boot XP/Win10?

From what I've seen here, it will not be possible to set up a new dual boot system with Windows 10 in one partition, but what about replacing Win8.1 with Windows 10 on a system that is ALREADY dual boot? In other words, can I boot into the existing Win8.1
    system, then do the Win10 upgrade to that partition without affecting the XP partition?

bobrcnut, Feb 6, 2019
  3. dcf-joe Win User
    dual boot xp and ubuntu

I had that problem a few months ago, but dual-booting is really easy. I am currently dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Use this website here for a guide to dual-booting XP and Ubuntu: APC's February 2019 issue is out now! | TechRadar (I actually did not use this guide at all, but I did pretty much the same thing!)

If you are unable to get your boot working with this guide, reply to this message, and I will write out a step-by-step guide, but it will involve you already having a partition set out for XP (as in you are not already using your entire hard drive space for XP alone.) Even though I write the guide with experience from Vista, it will work with XP

dcf-joe, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up

1. Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up - Similar Threads - Dual boot Win10

2. Screwed up Windows 10 paritions/booting after dual-boot attemp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screwed up Windows 10 paritions/booting after dual-boot attemp: I tried to install my first dual boot since high school and it didn't all go according to plan.. I backed up all my important files on another computer fortunately, but I can't boot into Windows anymore. What I tried to do: Install Ubuntu 20.10 on my 120GB-SSD Cut an...
  3. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. It was lightning fast when booting. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. BIOS, not UEFI and MBR. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64 as a...
  4. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. It was lightning fast when booting. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64. Since doing so, I get a blank screen...
  5. XP dual boot with W10

XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  6. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  7. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  8. Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 dual boot: Hey there I want some help with my dual boot.i have windows 10 and windows xp installed in my laptop and I want to see the boot choice menu before windows 10 load.Now windows 10 is loading first and give me the choice of Os,for that reason if I choose windows xp my laptop...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010