Windows 10: Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Discus and support Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm baffled! I don't remember ever doing all of this. I've never unplugged other drives. How is the boot loader supposed to create a sequence if the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephanie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

I only suggested disconnecting external drives to make it easier to remove drive letters. Why remove drive letters?
    This should prevent the install from using them for other purposes (page file?). I forget if it remembers that the drive letters are not assigned when you startup windows the first time or if you have to remove them again in Windows.

As long as the other OS drive is connected the Install will enumerate the boot - it doesn't care about drive letters.

If it turns out that Windows does NOT remember that the other drives are not assigned letters, I will just remove that as an extraneous step. I don't want to go through the exercise now bcz there will be a new release soon and I'll be doing this all again.

Having just written that, stealth2920 might want to wait for the next drop - I would.

But there's that shiny new SSD just sitting there waiting! Let it wait for the next release - no sense putting 9926 only to have it updated a few days or a week later. You could - your system has everything it needs except the install media

9926 Insider Pro edition: Download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

9926 TechNet Enterprise edition: Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview | TechNet Evaluation Center

You should sign up for the Insider pgm and you have to sign-in for the TechNet evaluation pgm.

Burn it to disc to avoid the UEFI issues on flash drive install media (FAT32 formatting, not NTFS)

By the time Windows Update brings the install up-to-date, it will probably offer the next release - but I'm being optimistic because I have March 12th in the pool for the next drop *Wink

Slartybart, Mar 10, 2015

2. Thanks I am going to wait for the next release

stealth2920, Mar 10, 2015
  3. It wasn't actually "hibernation" (per se) that caused the problem with Win8 and Win10 not being able to share the same "data" drive.

After some testing, I learned that it was "FastStartup" that was the culprit. I had forgotten that Win8 and Win10 enable it by default.

So, I was making changes to the drive in Win8, clicking Restart -- not realizing that this would "hibernate" the data drive.

When I started Win10, the change I had made in Win8 weren't visible. So, I made some change in Win10, clicked Restart, and went into Win8 -- where the changes I made in Win10 weren't visible.

So basically, because I was using Restart and hadn't disabled FastStartup, hibernation was taking place without me knowing about it.

To fix this, I had to made two changes:
    1) Disable FastStartup in both Win8 and Win10
    2) Choose ShutDown, not Restart, when switching between the OSs.

Since I've done this, I've had no problems with the "shared" drive.

Mark Phelps, Mar 10, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Thanks for sharing that Mark

5. Boozad Win User
    I'll be ordering a new SSD shortly for a dual boot with W10, but I'll be waiting for the full release to set it up as I can't be bothered to keep disconnecting drives to do the updating. Getting to that side of my case is a real pain.

Boozad, Mar 11, 2015
  6. That is good info Mark
    In my last go around I did install 9926 twice and a third doing it from 9879 to 9926,
    So I suppose the last I might of forgotten to disable fast start I'm not sure anymore :/
    https://www.tenforums.com/installati...partition.html

Either way I do have a cheap hdd to do another test on for the next build to see what happens with the system reserve partition if it's created or not which 9926 refused to do which to this day I'm still wondering why 9926 will not create the 350mb reserved :/
    @Boozad I bought a dual ssd hot swap case just for easy swapping of ssd's to ensure total disconnect between os's for dual booting
    So far it's proved to be a good device to have around *Smile
    7-8.1-10-Linux all on separate ssd's or hdd's *Smile

ThrashZone, Mar 11, 2015
  7. What SSD hot swap case did you get? I would be interested in doing that also as unplugging my hard drives would be a pain also.

stealth2920, Mar 11, 2015
  8. Boozad Win User

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Nice idea Mike, I'll have to look into those. I suppose then I could install all three OS (7, 8.1, 10) on three separate SSDs in one sitting meaning I'll only have to disconnect my HDDs once. What's the connectivity for the case to the PC?

Boozad, Mar 11, 2015
  9. EZ Swap EVO

Great little device I believe BadRobot suggested it *Smile

ThrashZone, Mar 11, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    Yup. I have 2 ssd and 1 hdd removable trays on my pc. If I need more tray for ssd, I also use the ssd to hdd adapter.

badrobot, Mar 11, 2015
  11. Boozad Win User
    I've just ordered a Samsung 850 Evo 128GB SSD ready for W10. I suppose it will be a while until I install it but it will be worth the wait, I have a 2TB WD Caviar Black as a secondary drive to dedicate to the W10 install and it will be nice having two SSDs in my system.

Boozad, Mar 11, 2015
  12. Yea I just got another crucial 128ssd but I doubt I'll put 10 on it I'm saving it for a Linux version for my lappy,
    I planned on putting 10 on a crucial 256 but I doubt I will seeing as 8-10 are fast enough to not need a ssd beside Linux 17.1 now is on it *Tongue

Wicked setup Badrobot and thanks again for the device suggestion *Thumbs

ThrashZone, Mar 11, 2015
  13. Boozad Win User

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

So the SSD has turned up, but do I install it now or wait for the full release of 10? Decisions, decisions...

Boozad, Mar 13, 2015
  14. Great info. I just installed two of these so I can place all my SSD's in these and swap out when necessary. When I decide to install Win 10, it will be easy to disconnect the other drives during install without taking apart my case.

stealth2920, Mar 13, 2015
  15. Dude Win User
    Install it now *Cool

Thema:

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

1. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Win7

2. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  5. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  8. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  9. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...