Windows 10: dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7

Discus and support dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys. I know this is not W8.1 forum but I assume it's the same like with W10. I have dual boot on this laptop and each time I select W7 in boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frozensun, May 11, 2020.

1. frozensun Win User

dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7

Hi guys.
    I know this is not W8.1 forum but I assume it's the same like with W10.
    I have dual boot on this laptop and each time I select W7 in boot laptop restarts (turns off and turn on) and then it boots to W7.
    Why does it happen,and how can I boot to W7 without reboot,just normal procedure?

:)

frozensun, May 11, 2020
  2. grahambm Win User

Dual boot win10 and win7

Lenovo T520 with Win7 Pro installed on msata ssd is Drive C:. HD with data is drive E:. Laptop has dvd but with adapter, this now has another ssd.

I cloned drive C: to the blank ssd in dvd port.

I then removed the msata ssd and rebooted. Win7 came up fine.

Now downloading and installing Wkn10 upgrade to win7 on the new ssd.

Once I have Win10 up and running,plan is to reinstall the msata ssd with Win 7 with view to being able to dual boot Win 7 & 10.

Is there anything else I need to do in order for a menu to appear offering a choice of which OS to boot?

When updates to either system require a restart, will they automatically restart the original OS?

Appreciate some guidance. Thankz

grahambm, May 11, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Boot issues (Win7/10) and data corruption

Looking at your system specs. You do have a pretty good system and UEFI support:
    Gigabyte GZ-z97X-Gaming 3, i7 4970K......

Your Disk 0 looks OK with Windows 7 installed using MBR partition scheme.
    However, your Disk 1 does not look standard with Windows 10 installed also using MBR partition scheme and might get confused with Windows 7 when boot up.

Normally for Windows 10 installation, you'd would get 500MB (not 350M as you said above, it's true for Windows 8) System Reserved Partition and C drive.

Since your Disk 1 was initialized as MBR disk, that would limit the # of primary partitions to 4 so drives: F, H, I became logical drives.

Here's my suggestion:
    1. Download and install: MiniTool Partition Wizard with Window 7 running. Run and right click on Disk 1 ( Minitool show it as Disk 2) then select convert to GPT disk.
    2. Right click on Windows 10 drive and delete this partition then click Apply to commit the changes of step 1 & 2. Might take a while to complete converting 1TB HD.
    3. Disconnect Disk 0 and boot up Windows installation Media with UEFI Mode selected.
    4. Select Custom->Hi Lite the unallocated partition (do not format) then click Next to install Windows 10.
    5. Once done, you'd get 4 partitions:
      450MB Recovery
      100MB EFI System
      16MB MSR
      C drive
      F,H,I will become Primary partitions.
    6. Reconnect Disk 0 (Win 7)
    7. Use F12 to select which Windows to boot from.

NOTE: Make sure in BIOS you have "Boot Mode Selection set to both "UEFI and Legacy"

Here's how I set up my Windows 7 on disk 1 & 10 on disk 0.

dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7 [​IMG]

Windows Media Center in Windows 10:
    Here is how to install Media Center on Windows 10

dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7 [​IMG]

topgundcp, May 11, 2020
  4. dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7

reboot and select property boot device

You need to set your main Harddrive which has your Operating System on as the first harddrive to boot, if have more than one harddrive.

open Bios
    boot priority
    Select the OS harddrive as first boot drive , If not sure switch between them
    Set correct time and date if wrong
    Save and reboot

If not sure on steps , give the Make and model number of motherboard and can assist you.

Hopefully no damage to the HDD

SnakeDoctor, May 11, 2020
Thema:

dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7

1. dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 ,reboot after I select Win 7 - Similar Threads - dual boot Win8

2. Cannot install win 7 as dual boot as it can't be install to the select

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install win 7 as dual boot as it can't be install to the select: I currently have a windows 10 system (latest version 1909) that is install to an SSD as UEFI. I also have a 2nd drive which is a standard HDD that has 3 partitions. I want to install 7 to one of those partitions but when I attempted the install it will not install saying it...
  3. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  4. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10: Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10...
  5. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  6. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  7. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  8. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  9. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...