Windows 10: Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

Discus and support Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ameneses54, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.
    This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

:)

ameneses54, Sep 3, 2015

2. Windows Defender Will Not Start This operation returned because the timeout period expired W10

Nope - None. Started as a Clean install on a Win 8.1 partition on a dual boot (Win7/Win8) machine. Used Windows Defender on the Win 8.1 partition, Upgraded to Win 10, After the Upgrade Windows Defender stopped working.

Fixed it by copying ALL Windows Defender files in my son's win 10 machine, and dual booted my machine in to Win 7, and then copied my sons files in the Windows Defender Directory on the Win 10 partition.

Worked, But not really a portable solution.

doug_Some_Ramdom_Number, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Micode Win User
    Remove Dual Boot Setup "Windows 7 and Windows 8.1" Upgraged Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Hello everyone, I have a problem;

I'm running a Dual Boot Setup "Win 7 and Win 8.1" then I proceeded to upgrade Win 8.1 to Win 10. Now my current setup is still dual boot, Windows 7 and Windows 10. I'm satisfied with Windows 10 and want to Remove, Uninstall or Delete Win 7.

Can someone help ? without me having to NUKE my system and Reinstall.

Regards,

Micode, Sep 3, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

Shawn has a good tutorial for this. Read carefully and give it a try. Remember to backup anything you don't want to lose. System image, personal files, etc.
    Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums

EDIT: Please update your system specs. https://www.tenforums.com/profile.php?do=extra It's very helpful to any forum member that is trying to help. And welcome to the Forum!

f14tomcat, Sep 3, 2015
  5. Thanks for your quick reply. Your link references installing win 10 on a win 8 system, what I want to do is the opposite . I have win 10 installed and I need to install Win 8 as a dual boot.
    Please advise.

ameneses54, Sep 3, 2015
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    If you have valid license keys, it should not be a problem. As you can see from my specs, I am triple booting 2 win 10's and 8.1. Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management screen? It may be as simple as partitioning an area for the 8.1 install. Boot from the 8.1 install media and let it do it's thing. Need to see that screenshot first. Get back to me....

f14tomcat, Sep 3, 2015
  7. Rocky Win User
    Do you have two valid license keys? If you do, then it should be no big hassle to accomplish what you want.

Rocky, Sep 3, 2015
  8. f14tomcat Win User

With all due respect, I think I just said that. No offense intended.

f14tomcat, Sep 3, 2015
  9. Unfortunately, I don't have a valid 8.1 license, any options?

ameneses54, Sep 3, 2015
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    I can't help you with that. Sorry.... ​Forum Rules - Windows 10 Forums 4) No piracy or discussion of piracy allowed at all. Such as software, music, videos and other intellectual property violations (e.g. downloading youtube videos locally etc).

f14tomcat, Sep 3, 2015
  11. Charlie Win User
    Amen
    How did you upgrade to 10 if you have no 8. You have a critical app for work. And need 8 to run it. We must assume that you had Windows 8 somehow before. More info is needed from you to proceed. *Biggrin

Charlie, Sep 3, 2015
  12. I had Windows 7 previously installed.

ameneses54, Sep 3, 2015
  13. genet Win User

You will not be able to install Windows 8.1 if you do not have Windows 8/8.1 product key.

How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 -> link

genet, Sep 3, 2015
  14. Rocky Win User
Thema:

1. Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed - Similar Threads - Dual boot installed

2. Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10: I have problem related to setting up a dual boot. i am running Windows version 20H2 . When I tried to install windows on a partition using the latest Windows 10 USB installation, the setup continually rebooted after copying the installation files. I tried several times and...
  3. Dual Installations of Win 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Installations of Win 10?: Hello!, I teach video editing and I need multiple versions of DaVinci Resolve installed on my system at any given time (different clients). The software cannot be installed multiple times in Windows though. My desktop PC has two internal M.2 NVMe drives. I'm using 1 for...
  4. win 10 dual boot

win 10 dual boot: Running win 7 want to set up win10 in Partition. bought win 10 cd but it wants to overwrite win 7 rather then install in separate partition. I have the key etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-dual-boot/e592c47b-19de-4d84-9df2-7b9c6bb4aed9
  5. Win 10 and Win 7 dual boot possible with only Win 10 installed to start?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 and Win 7 dual boot possible with only Win 10 installed to start?: Plan is to put them both on separate SSDs. All the tutorials I have seen assume you are starting with Windows 7 on the machine and installing Windows 10. I assume I won't have any issues, but if I do, could I take the Win 10 SSD out, install Win 7 on the new SSD, put both...
  6. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  7. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  8. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  9. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...
  10. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...