Windows 10: Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Discus and support Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dskrobow, May 28, 2019.

1. dskrobow Win User

Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB.

I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD.

The installation did not finish, as I got an error related to winload.efi. The error is pictured below.

Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives fddfe3f9-f7ab-47d2-9d92-1a195315d7d5?upload=true.jpg

I'm guessing that I'm experiencing a predictable problem. What did I do wrong?

I can still boot to the 1803-installation on the HDD by pressing F9 from the screen pictured above.

I'd like to be able to boot to the SSD by default but also be able to boot to the HDD if need be. I'd like to avoid having to take the laptop apart again, if possible.

All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

dskrobow, May 28, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, May 28, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, May 28, 2019
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

dual boot windows xp with uefi windows 10

Hi,

It definitely is possible to do a dual boot of Windows 10 with a older version of Windows. There are several steps involved to successfully achieve your objective. For us to resolve your concern, we suggest you follow the step by step process provided by
    Andre Da Costa in the article:
    How to dual boot Windows 10 and older versions of Windows

This covers installing different versions of Windows alongside Windows 10 in a dual boot environment. Take note though to backup any important files that you have before proceeding with any of the steps to prevent any data loss.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, May 28, 2019
Thema:

Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

1. Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Different

2. Can't run two installations of Windows 10 Pro on two drives dual-boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't run two installations of Windows 10 Pro on two drives dual-boot: I have a computer that has a lot of stuff installed and it's acting weird sometimes. I want to reinstall Windows 10 Pro to clean up the system. I figured the best way to move forward would be to install a second SSD, install W10Pro on the SSD, and then dual-boot until I could...
  3. Can't run two installations of Windows 10 Pro on two drives dual-boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't run two installations of Windows 10 Pro on two drives dual-boot: I have a computer that has a lot of stuff installed and it's acting weird sometimes. I want to reinstall Windows 10 Pro to clean up the system. I figured the best way to move forward would be to install a second SSD, install W10Pro on the SSD, and then dual-boot until I could...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 On Different Drives

Dual Boot Windows 10 On Different Drives: I would just like to get confirmation on whether it is possible or not to dual boot two Windows 10 installations on separate drives with the same boot manager. For information I have tried using bcdedit and EasyBCD, and it works flawlessly on two partitions on thesame...
  5. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  6. Dual Boot on Same Drive, different partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot on Same Drive, different partitions: I have two partitions: -Partition One has Windows -Partition Two has a Linux Distro If i reinstall Windows on Partition One and opt to remove everything will it also include wiping Partition Two with the Linux Distro? submitted by /u/AlphaXexia [link] [comments]...
  7. Dual Boot two Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot two Windows: Can I setup a Dual boot of two Window on same laptop having two different licenses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-two-windows/fc7ec334-c03a-4172-8b7e-d25da81c6763"
  8. Dual Boot Two Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Dual Boot Two Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  9. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  10. Two Windows on Two different mode (Bios & UEFI) How to dual boot?

Two Windows on Two different mode (Bios & UEFI) How to dual boot?: I have a 250GB GPT SSD and installed Windows 10-64bit in UEFI mode. Also, I have 1TB MBR HDD and installed Windows 7-32bit in BIOS mode. Currently, I have to go to bios setting every time and change boot priority manually in order to boot from another windows. Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup dual boot on different disks

2. dual booting (separate or different) disks windows 10 linux

3. dual boot windows 10 two drives