Windows 10: Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's

Discus and support Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just checked, and my BIOS is legacy. Exact same procedure anyway. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jim1931, Feb 26, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's

Exact same procedure anyway.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2016
  2. CountMike New Member

Just one thing less to worry about.

CountMike, Dec 7, 2016
  3. Guys, I need help please.

I just bought an MSI gaming laptop, it came with windows 10 and I need to install windows 7 too. I want dual boot 7 and 10.
    There are 2 drives. Disk 0 where windows 10 is installed is an SSD, Disk 1 is a 1TB hard disk. I partitioned the 1TB in 2, creating a 250 GB Disk 1 Partition 1. I then ran the setup.exe for windows 7. When I tried to installed to Disk 1 Partition 1 it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
    I have the Windows 7 .iso file in an USB drive. I used RUFUS to create the .iso, first I tried MBR Partition scheme, which it did not work either, then I tried GBT partition, same problem.
    I called MSI support and they said there is no way to dual boot windows 7 and 10 because the BIOS is UEFI. If I wanted to install both I'd have to boot legacy when I wanted windows 7, and boot UEFI when I want to start windows 10. I think MSI is more clueless than me.

Windows 7 apparently will install on my disk 0, but that means I will loose windows 10.

Is there a way in my case, with windows 10 already installed in disk 0, to install windows 7 to disk 1 ?
    I saw several software that promise to convert from GPT to MBR, but they are expensive.

What are my options? Install windows 7 on partition 0, loose everything on that disk, and then install windows 10 on another partition?

Thanks
    Will

william0203usa, Dec 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2016
  5. Thank you. I was able to convert to GPT. It started the windows 7 installation in the Disk 1 Partition 1, however during the first reboot required during windows 7 installation, it gave me 2 options WINDOWS SET UP or WINDOWS 10, when I click on WINDOWS SET UP it gave me the following error: windload.efi, then I went into the BIOS and disabled secured boot. I was able to click on windows setup, however it freezes in the STARTING WINDOWS logo and it does not progress with the installation.

Any thoughts? Change the BIOS to legacy? Keep secure boot turned off?

Thanks
    Will

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Keep secure boot off for sure. Windows 7 is not compatible with secure boot.

Is your USB flash drive for Windows 7 FAT32 or NTFS? It has to be FAT32 to boot and install UEFI and lots of people don't pick the correct and overly complicated settings in Rufus to get it right. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to use Rufus to create the Windows USB flash drive with and a lot of people have issues setting it up correctly.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2016
  7. Here are the Rufus settings:
    GPT Partition scheme for UEFI
    FAT 32
    4096 bytes
    quick format
    created bootable (.iso for windows 7)
    create extended label

Thanks
    Will

8. NavyLCDR New Member

That should work, but there are more reliable ways to do it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2016
  9. Hello,

First of all, thanks for your help.

I've spent all day trying to install Windows 7 in a different partition to no avail. From what I read, I guess I will have to clean install Windows 7 first and then add windows 10. Adding windows 7 to windows 10 apparently is not very easy to do. I've read MSI forums where people clean installed Windows 7 on Disk 0 and then added windows 10, I've not read anybody that added 7 to 1

My MSI laptop has one 512 GB SSD and 1TB hard drive.

Is it possible to split this 512GB SSD in 2 and install windows 7 in one partition and later install windows 10 in the other partition?

Do you see any other way out or just install Windows 7 and then add windows 10?

Thanks
    Will
    +1 386 301 9109

william0203usa, Dec 14, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Set your UEFI to boot from the HDD first by default. When you boot the computer without overriding anything you should get an error. Boot the computer from the Windows 7 USB flash drive.

When given the chance to pick the partition on disk 1 to install to, delete every partition on disk 1 and install Windows 7 to the unallocated space. Once you get a Windows 7 going on disk 1, change the UEFI back to boot from drive 0 and we'll tell you how to add Windows 7 to the Windows 10 boot menu.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's - Similar Threads - Dual boot using

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  4. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  6. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...