Windows 10: Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 from a single hard disk drive

Discus and support Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 from a single hard disk drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Would like to dual boot Win 8.1 and Win 10 Lenovo Ideacentre Horizon 27 - Machine type: 6266, Model: 57315178, Bios version: EDKT20AUS. Has Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gurunix, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Gurunix Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 from a single hard disk drive

Would like to dual boot Win 8.1 and Win 10

Lenovo Ideacentre Horizon 27 - Machine type: 6266, Model: 57315178, Bios version: EDKT20AUS.

Has Windows 10 Home, Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042 - with digital license.

Original OS was Win 8/8.1

Current config: Windows 8.1 in one internal drive and Win 10 20H2 on another internal drive.

To go from 8.1 to 10 or vice versa, I need to go bios boot options and change the boot priority.

Like to have both OS' in one hard disk drive.

Already tried the method discussed at:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-or-windows-8-with/9ac7acc1-2152-4907-a9de-bd507273a57d

Would like to dual boot Win 8.1 and Win 10

----

After I run setup.exe from the Win 8.1 ISO DVD ,

I get the “Windows 8—Preparing…” window

Once completed, I get “Get important update” window.

I click next to get “License terms” window. Once accepted, I get

Choose what to keep window

Once I chose an option and click “Next”, it starts installing.

I do not get the “Which type of Installation do you want” where I can chose to install on another partition.

How do I get to “Which type of Installation do you want" option?

Same problem, if I start with a Win 8.1 and want to install Win 10 in dual boot --

I do not get the “Which type of Installation do you want” window.

:)

Gurunix, Mar 27, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Mar 27, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Mar 27, 2021
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 from a single hard disk drive - Similar Threads - Dual boot single

2. Booting Windows 10 from external hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting Windows 10 from external hard disk: Greetings. I have a laptop (Predator Helios 300) with Windows 10 (Home, upgraded to Pro with Win7 key) installation that I like to keep clean. From time to time I will have to find a new piece of software for certain task. Normally I would start by trying out programs from...
  3. How to dual boot Windows 10 on both different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to dual boot Windows 10 on both different hard drives?: I have a PC with 2 different hard drives: 1 - 1 TB HDD ; 1 - 250 GB SSD. Last time, I installed Windows 10 on both hard drives in the same way (through USB installation). After some time, the HDD keeps crashing and can't boot windows. It happened to me like 3 times already....
  4. Moving Windows 10 from RAID 1 to single drive install

Moving Windows 10 from RAID 1 to single drive install: I had Windows 10 installed on a RAID 1 set of 2 SSD drives. I replaced those SSDs in the RAID 1 with an internal NVMe drive just 1 single one. I copied my Windows 10 Installation over to this NVMe drive. Now when my Windows 10 boots I get an error message saying its...
  5. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  6. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  7. Convert dual boot disk into single OS

Convert dual boot disk into single OS: Greetings all. May I ask for a bit of sanity check please. I have a PC running two Windows 10 OS's on two separate partitions. Windows asks me which one I want to run when booting up. I now want to remove one OS and recover its space. If I understand correctly I need to:...
  8. Migrating from single disk to Raid 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Migrating from single disk to Raid 1: Hi all! Setting up my first Raid 1 NAS because I want redundancy for my important files. So here is my proposed plan. 1. I have a 3 TB drive with about 2 TB data on it - I'll call this the source disk. It has never been in an array, just a normal single disk. I purchase a...
  9. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8: How to: Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 [img] Information Windows 10 is here. This tutorial will show you step by step on how to dual-boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8....