Windows 10: Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

Discus and support Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 960. The 960 has 2 hard drives. I made a system image, (Macrium) of drive C, (Windows 7) I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Landngroove, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

I have been running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 960. The 960 has 2 hard drives. I made a system image, (Macrium) of drive C, (Windows 7) I then installed that image on the second hard drive (F). I unplugged the first hard drive, (C) and booted into second drive, (F), fired up Windows 7, and did upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrade went as it should. Can run Windows 10 on (F) with no problems. Now I reconnect hard drive (C) . Fire up the 960, go to bios and select (F) drive. Windows 10. No go. Screen says there is a problem, and Windows 10 does not load. However, if I fire up the 960, and go to bios, and select (C) drive Windows 7 starts. So why won't Windows 10 on second hard drive work?

:)

Landngroove, Jun 7, 2016
  2. gscosta Win User

Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Jun 7, 2016
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Jun 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

Since what you are wanting to do violates the End Users License Agreement for Windows, we can't really help you here at Tenforums because it violates the forum rules.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  5. Did not know that.

Landngroove, Jun 7, 2016
  6. I was going to suggest virtualization, instead of dual-booting, but that also would require two licenses in your case. That's the deal with the free upgrade, is that it replaces the license for the previous OS. So, buy doing the upgrade process, you invalidated your Windows 7 license.

Most of us have ended up doing a clean install of 10 once the upgrade process has finished and activated. Sounds like this might be a great time to do so.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

1. Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot

2. Is Dual Boot still allowed on a single PC with a digital license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is Dual Boot still allowed on a single PC with a digital license?: I have a single PC that I dual boot into two Win10 installations: one for work, one for gaming. Both installations use the same retail digital license. I got hit by a Windows activation bug where a BIOS upgrade resulted in both installations losing activation because Windows...
  3. Is Dual Boot still allowed on a single PC with a digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Dual Boot still allowed on a single PC with a digital license?: I have a single PC that I dual boot into two Win10 installations: one for work, one for gaming. Both installations use the same retail digital license. I got hit by a Windows activation bug where a BIOS upgrade resulted in both installations losing activation because Windows...
  4. Is Dual Boot still allowed on a single PC with a digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Linux can see my HDD but not windows after a dual boot

Linux can see my HDD but not windows after a dual boot: Hello everyone so first of all i know this might not be the perfect forum to post this but i am really starting to get desperate : So like the title says I can access my HDD on Linux mint but absolutely not in windows. this happend after a dual boot install of cinnamon mint....
  6. Linux can see my HDD but not windows after a dual boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Linux can see my HDD but not windows after a dual boot: Hello everyone so first of all i know this might not be the perfect forum to post this but i am really starting to get desperate : So like the title says I can access my HDD on Linux mint but absolutely not in windows. this happend after a dual boot install of cinnamon mint....
  7. Linux can see my HDD but not windows after a dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  9. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  10. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...