Windows 10: Dual boot windows with two completely isolated drives. Is that possible?

Discus and support Dual boot windows with two completely isolated drives. Is that possible? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello guys, I would like to ask if that's possible to have 2 windows OS on 2 separate hard drives and make them completely unaware of each other. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Garmash G, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Garmash G Win User

Dual boot windows with two completely isolated drives. Is that possible?

Hello guys, I would like to ask if that's possible to have 2 windows OS on 2 separate hard drives and make them completely unaware of each other. I know there's plenty of info about this topic on the internet but i still have some questions even after reading quite a lot of them, so i was hoping someone here could help me out with that. So to put it simply i would like to have 2 windows OS on two separate SSD drives on my laptopOne SSD will be always connected to the motherboard, while the 2nd one i will plug through type-C only when i need it My main concern is that i want the OS on the exte

:)

Garmash G, Feb 1, 2023
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Feb 2, 2023
  3. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Hello.

I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case),
    where Ubuntu was stored. But, now whenever I boot my system, a black grub screen comes with the following message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

Upon writing 'exit', I am able to enter Windows.

1. I wish to know the reason behind it and how it can be removed.

2. I found this site, Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot, I went ahead and performed all the steps. But somehow
    ended up with this error.

Also, I saw your reply on this thread Redirecting.
    But it did not help me to remove my error. I will really appreciate your help in removing this error.

Thank you.

ShreyaShah7, Feb 2, 2023
  4. BhavyaP C Win User

Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10

Hello.

I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 18.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, where Ubuntu was stored.
    But, now whenever I boot my system, a black grub screen comes with the following message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

Upon writing 'exit', I am able to enter Windows.

Can anyone help in getting windows working normal without loosing data in other drives.

BhavyaP C, Feb 2, 2023
Thema:

1. Dual boot windows with two completely isolated drives. Is that possible? - Similar Threads - Dual boot completely

2. Dual boot windows with two completely isolated drives. Is that possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot windows with two completely isolated drives. Is that possible?: Hello guys, I would like to ask if that's possible to have 2 windows OS on 2 separate hard drives and make them completely unaware of each other. I know there's plenty of info about this topic on the internet but i still have some questions even after reading quite a lot of...
  3. Dual Boot two Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot two Windows: Can I setup a Dual boot of two Window on same laptop having two different licenses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-two-windows/fc7ec334-c03a-4172-8b7e-d25da81c6763"
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  5. Dual Boot Two Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Dual Boot Two Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  6. Dual boot on different hard drives completely isolated from each other

Dual boot on different hard drives completely isolated from each other: I have a configuration with 2 hard drives and I'd like to install Ubuntu and Windows 10- let's say- Ubuntu on hard drive C, Windows 10 on hard drive D. To prevent malwares from spreading from an OS to the other, I'd like to permanently disable ubuntu's hdd in Windows and...
  7. Dual boot on different hard drives completely isolated from each other

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot on different hard drives completely isolated from each other: I have a configuration with 2 hard drives and I'd like to install Ubuntu and Windows 10- let's say- Ubuntu on hard drive C, Windows 10 on hard drive D. To prevent malwares from spreading from an OS to the other, I'd like to permanently disable ubuntu's hdd in Windows and...
  8. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  9. Is it possible to make it dual boot?

Is it possible to make it dual boot?: I had to replace the Hard Disk on my Lenovo Flex14. I was running it in dual boot - Win10 and Linux. I set up the entire drive under NTFS. Now is it possible to make it dual boot. Also, I am on Win10 Single Language (ie Home). Is there any way to run a virtual machine in...
  10. Dual boot. Two problems.

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot. Two problems.: Problem 1 *Smile I've successfully installed W10 to dual boot with Vista. It works well but for one irritation, which is that I am asked for my password every time I select and boot to W10. I get that multi-coloured W10 rainbow lock screen ? the one that you click and it...