Windows 10: Dual boot with Arch Linux

Discus and support Dual boot with Arch Linux in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrLemming93, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Dual boot with Arch Linux

I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch a few times so i’m familar with its installation. However, i cannot seem to find any clear information on how to be able to “dual boot” them. Previously i have had to go into the BIOS and select which hard drive i want to boot from. I would prefer if i could use the windows boot manager or GRUB to select between the two. Following the archwiki installation guide it tells you to create a gpt partition table on the ssd you want to install the linux OS on, then create an EFI partition, swap partition etc... my question is, do i need that EFI partition on the second drive or is there some way in which i use the existing EFI partition that windows created upon its installation?

:)

MrLemming93, Jan 9, 2021

2. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

Hi Xelany

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

You should try repairing your Windows 10 installation using the following steps:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10...

If that restores Windows 10, use EasyBCD to add an entry for Linux mint:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-wind...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Irshad Win User
    Dual boot Arch Linux with Windows 10

On my Acer laptop I have Windows 10 installed on /dev/sda4 and the ESP partition is /dev/sda2.

As described in the Beginner's Guide I installed Arch Linux on a newly created partition /dev/sda5 and swap /dev/sda6 with the Windows 10 created ESP /dev/sda2 as /boot.

As the bootloader I chose systemd-boot which is recommended by the guide if the motherboard is UEFI (which it is).

I configured the /boot/loader/loader.conf as follows:

I created an entry for arch.conf at /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf as follows;

But after rebooting Windows 10 boots by default. I couldn't even see the bootloader menu. Also no option to select the Linux boot loader in the boot options. What am I doing wrong?

Note: Both fastboot(Windows 10) and secureboot (UEFI) are off.

In the question Windows 10 / Linux Dual Boot - Boot-loader Problems the OP uses GRUB for the bootloader. In my case I'm using systemd-boot. And in my setup fastboot aka fast startup is already disabled.

#efibootmgr -v returns all my boot options. It has the Linux boot manager in the list, but the boot order didn't specify anything about it. So, I manually edited the boot order by # efibootmgr -o 1003,1001,2001. But, the problem is the same. The boot order is reverted back after an reboot.

Irshad, Jan 9, 2021
  4. Dual boot with Arch Linux

Musings about Dual Booting Linux & Windows, HELP!

Hi roadie133

Were there any steps attempted to setup the dual boot with the Linux and Windows 10 as described in the article?

Andre for Directly, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Dual boot with Arch Linux

1. Dual boot with Arch Linux - Similar Threads - Dual boot Arch

2. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  3. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  4. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  5. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Dual Booting with Arch

Dual Booting with Arch: If anyone here knows how to solve this problem, please help. genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab doesnt work and i dont know what to do. It doesnt return anything but if I take the next step and type in 'vi' it says that the command was not found. Thanks...
  7. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  8. Uninstall Linux dual boot

Uninstall Linux dual boot: Hello everyone ! I first want to mention thant english is not my first language, so, sorry if I make mistakes and am not clear enough ! I just received a second hand computer with windows10 and linux installed on it. The person I got it to told me it would be easy to get...
  9. Dual boot Windows with Linux

Dual boot Windows with Linux: Is there a tutorial here (I didn't find, so maybe in another place there's a good tutorial?) on how to be able to install both Linux and Windows 10 on my laptop's hard drive? So that when I restart my laptop I will be able to choose from either Windows 10 or Linux? I did...
  10. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. easybcd systemd-boot