Windows 10: Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Discus and support Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fireberd, Jul 23, 2015.

1. fireberd Win User

Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system?

I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format.

:)

fireberd, Jul 23, 2015
  2. Alex Ice Win User
    Downloading Win 10 & creating an USB bootable Win 10 MBR flash drive using Media Creation Tool .

Dave & Andre, I created stick with Media Creation Tool but I cannot download no ISO on my PC. I know that MBR is for oldest hdd and GPT for the newest but if we want dual boot Win 10 & Linux the MBR type is so useful in this case. That's why i want to
    create USB bootable Win 10 MBR flash drive. Dave, i can see that your C partition is NTFS but i don't know if is GPT or MBR style. I think if you use comand diskpart and select disk, in comand prompt you will be able to see if is MBR or GPT. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives? ;)

Alex Ice, Jul 23, 2015
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

obviously you won't be able to dual boot from TWO partitions on the same drive. Two different drives should be fine - but switching from UEFI to a normal boot you'd probably have to go into the BIOS before using the other drive to enable legacy boot --depends on your BIOS --if you are lucky the boot menu will give you a choice.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 23, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User
    You can however switch boot up drives on start up (F9 and F8 keys on my PCs) and just manually select the drive you want to boot up with either GPT or MBR as long as your motherboard supports enabling both modes at the same time.

badrobot, Jul 23, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    what will happen with two HDD's one mbr and one GPT

is you will find the GPT boot manager under UEFI boot options
    and the MBR boot manager under the legacy boot options

you would have to select the device - the same way you select a bootable USB device, through the boot menu

6. fireberd Win User
    So I won't be able to select the OS like I am now with the Dual Boot? Each OS is on a separate SSD drive.

fireberd, Jul 24, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User

two different drives - two different formats, two different boot loaders..

same boot menu, Nope

8. fireberd Win User
    Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like I can do that, other than using the F12 at boot up to select which drive to boot from.

fireberd, Jul 24, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You Might be able to use a 3rd party Boot manager - although if you mess up booting you'll have to have some type of recovery to restore.

GRUB2 (Linux) also will offer a boot menu

You can have a UEFI and non UEFI boot menu (On the same Menu BTW) -- but you will need 3rd party boot manager or Linux GRUB2.

I've abandoned dual booting a LONG LONG while ago -- IMO it's easier to use a Virtual Machine for other OS'es. Overheads these days on using a VM are not high and modern VM software allows almost all hardware to work. For a serious gamer use the HOST OS (your main one) for the Games and use the VM's for legacy stuff (or totally new like W10 until W10 runs the games you want).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 25, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    If 7 is important to you, having the 2 on different formats is a good thing. W10 won't be able to mess 7 up during updates.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot GPT

2. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  3. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  4. Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT: After failing the Win11 check due to my boot drive being MBR, i've read so much on changing my drive to GPT (I use UEFI BIOS already). The MBR2GPT tool on Windows fails as it says it can't create an EFI partition. I'm assuming now that I can't change my boot drive from MBR to...
  5. KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR: Had several updates to windows. Did not notice when the problem first appears as I rarely use the 2nd disk drive.The drive no longer shows up in win10x64 20H2. The event viewer is full of errors about duplicate disk drives and even more ahci reset commands issued to that D...
  6. MBR to GPT had drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to GPT had drive: I’m trying to do a build with my cousin, he set the drive with windows to GPT because he said the msi MB can’t read MBR. Computer booted fine with just the windows drive. We plugged in my other drives and got this error https://i.imgur.com/CcjpMMA.jpg. His friend is claiming...
  7. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  8. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  9. mbr and gpt on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...
  10. Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?: My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS. I'm about to upgrade to Win 10. Is there any benefit to redoing the boot drive with GPT partitions as part of that process? 49832

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot gpt formatted drive

2. usb window dual gpt and mbr install

3. win 7 can not install on gpt dual boot win 10

4. dualboot gpt mbr,
  5. dual boot menu for mbr disks