Windows 10: Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

Discus and support Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s). [img] [img] While both were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CountMike, May 7, 2017.

1. CountMike New Member

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s).

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI [​IMG]

While both were in "normal legacy BIOS" way, non-UEFI I was able to make it dual BOOT but now my favorite, EasyBCD can't make working BOOT menu but now:

I used Ext2 File System Driver for Windows download | SourceForge.net to mount EFI (Fat32) and GPT Linux partitions but choosing any of them doesn't let me BOOT Mint fro BOOT menu. It works fine when booted thru BIOS.

:)

CountMike, May 7, 2017

2. Grub 2 does not detect windows partition by osprober

Dear Don Cuthbert,

Thanks for your help.Since I was used to first dos partition to boot either windows or linux in dual boot on bios systems I thought UEFI just records the address to point to windows or linux sector for booting. Thought Microsoft system bootloader partiton contains
    all files for booting and rest of files in windows 10 basic partition. As linux hanged on upgrade from Fedora 26 to Fedora 27 I wanted to delete UEFI which I thought is a UEFI linux loader as I am used to efibootmgr in Fedora and wondering why the osprobe
    is not recognising windows.My basic thinking for GPT UEFI was wrong as I thought it just records the pointer to windows or linux.

But now you made the concept clear. Now I am sure I will be able to dual boot windows 10 and Fedora 27 with this help.

Really appreciate your help.

Dr Nagalkar

Dr. S. D.Nagalkar, May 7, 2017
  3. RMDEQ Win User
    Can Windows Boot Manager boot Linux in UEFI system with GPT M.2 disk?

There are other boot managers, but I like Windows Boot Manager and boot to Windows 10 most of the time. Back when I had a BIOS system with a MBR SSD, dual boot was as easy as EasyBCD. Note that I have and want true GPT, not the hybrid kind-of-have-an-MBR
    on a GPT disk.

After a lot of work, I got Windows 10 to boot on this system with just copying partitions and not a clean install. But, the Linux partition right now is just a copy of what was on the SSD. I can't boot to it, although I might if I chose to use rEFInd or
    GRUB2 as a boot manager. All the Linux advice I can find predates Windows 10 and says Windows Boot Manager can't do this on GPT drives. I'm looking for an answer from 2016.

For the sake of this question assume Secure Boot and Fast Boot are non issues. If it matters, my preferred Linux distro is Ubuntu 14.04. My processor is from the Skylake family: i7-6700.

RMDEQ, May 7, 2017
Thema:

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

1. Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI - Similar Threads - Dual BOOT Linux

2. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  3. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  4. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  5. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  6. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  7. Uninstall Linux dual boot

Uninstall Linux dual boot: Hello everyone ! I first want to mention thant english is not my first language, so, sorry if I make mistakes and am not clear enough ! I just received a second hand computer with windows10 and linux installed on it. The person I got it to told me it would be easy to get...
  8. Dual boot Windows with Linux

Dual boot Windows with Linux: Is there a tutorial here (I didn't find, so maybe in another place there's a good tutorial?) on how to be able to install both Linux and Windows 10 on my laptop's hard drive? So that when I restart my laptop I will be able to choose from either Windows 10 or Linux? I did...
  9. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...
  10. Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI): So for the last 4 years I have played with linux installs on and off. But something I ALWAYS encounter, is when I eventually get tired of linux (from not being able to play my games), during the removal process I always screw up my bootloader then struggle to fix it. Is there...