Windows 10: Dual boot

Discus and support Dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 7 installed on my desktop. I created a partition (E) and would like to install 10 there. Once Windows 10 is downloaded to my system, can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pete27540, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Pete27540 Win User

Dual boot

I have Windows 7 installed on my desktop. I created a partition (E) and would like to install 10 there. Once Windows 10 is downloaded to my system, can I specify where I want it or will it just overwrite my Windows 7 C drive?
    Thanks very much for any light you can shed on this.

:)

Pete27540, Nov 29, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Always booting from the wrong drive

Drive K is not a boot drive.

If dual booting Windows located on the drive K: it will be changed to C:

You have to do the dual boot from the BIOS.

Check post from Andre da Costa on Dual booting.

lacrumb, Nov 29, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Boot Issues, Partitioning Errors, Backup, and Dual-Booting Windows 10

This was in fact a dual boot problem. All VM is dual boot.

lacrumb, Nov 29, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual boot

First, do you have a separate, purchased license for Windows 10? If not, what you want to do violates the EULA.

If you boot from a Windows 10 install media and select the custom install option, it will ask you where you want to install it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Pete27540 Win User
    I have been waiting for notification from Microsoft that my system was eligible for an upgrade. That appeared earlier this week. I decided to go the dual boot route because I have some older versions of software that will require Windows 7. I started the procedure but stopped it because I was concerned about it writing over my Windows 7 C drive.

Will the file Microsoft sends me allow me to create installation media or does it just start installing it to C:
    Thanks for helping with this.

Pete27540, Nov 29, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    From Windows Update (the notification that Microsoft sends you) it will only allow you to upgrade your current OS to Windows 10 because that is all that you are entitled to do for free.

Again, what you want to do violates the End Users License Agreement and we can't help you do that. You want to run a second, separate install of Windows 10 alongside your Windows 7 - and that requires a second license to do.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
  7. Pete27540 Win User
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.
    Pete

Pete27540, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual boot

1. Dual boot - Similar Threads - Dual boot

2. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  3. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  4. Windows refuses to change the timezone since dual booting linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows refuses to change the timezone since dual booting linux: I've recently installed Linux Mint on my machine for school and since then Windows 10 refuses to acknowledge that I am on the east coast. Mint has the time right, but Windows is stuck on pacific time. Changing the timezone in the settings app does nothing and setting it to...
  5. Install Windows 10 dual boot with PhoenixOS

Install Windows 10 dual boot with PhoenixOS: I want to dual boot them but without touching my partitions because I don't want to mess with existing windows 10 boot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-dual-boot-with-phoenixos/7d93d1b0-cfc7-4458-a6ac-bc8f44c1ff46
  6. Fixing dual boot machine that won't boot Windows..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fixing dual boot machine that won't boot Windows..: So I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I wanted to dual boot and install Ubuntu on it. I shrunk the size of my partition and made a small one for Ubuntu. It now boots up automatically when I turn the computer on. If I go into boot options and select hard drive to boot...
  7. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  8. Dual booting on Surface Pro 6

Dual booting on Surface Pro 6: I have a surface pro 6 and ive installed windows server 2016 on it. However every time i boot into Server 2016, it makes a low audible sound that repeats over and over. The best way to describe the sound is making the “p” sound softly with your lips. And when i boot back into...
  9. Windows not working after dual boot

Windows not working after dual boot: I have Dell Inspiron 5570, i5 8th gen, 2 TB Hard drive, 16GB intel optane and 8 GB RAM. I tried dual boot my PC with ubuntu 16.04, but I was not getting any drive details. So I used terminal in live ubuntu environment with following command: sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda After...
  10. How do I make my Win 10 SSD bootable after dual boot failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I make my Win 10 SSD bootable after dual boot failure?: Hi, My machine was built with Win7 on a mechanical HD, a SSD was added onto which Win10 was installed. At power-on a Dual Boot option menu was displayed - and timed out to Win10. The HD has now falied (and has been disconnected) but the SSD does not boot by itself. How...