Windows 10: Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

Discus and support Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 Windows 10 (7 Upgrades) Installed, ...I would like to set them up, so I can Dual Boot them, without re-installing them. 24215 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xtownman, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Xtownman Win User

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

I have 2 Windows 10 (7 Upgrades) Installed,

...I would like to set them up, so I can Dual Boot them, without re-installing them.

:)

Xtownman, Sep 26, 2015

2. Windows boot-dual boot

Hi!

I had installed dual operating systems (windows 10 and Remix OS) in my laptop(both the OS installed in the same drive"X").And I was using windows boot loader to select the operating system. Unfortunately I deleted all the files of the remix os(including
    a file called EFI in the main drive"X" .And also failed to setup mbr boot loader and restarted my laptop using system settings to log into safe mode.

But after restarting Windows is not booting.How do I rectify this?

PS: I have an Ubuntu os installed in my flash drive through which i was able to access all the files in the drive "X"

IbnAbdullah, Sep 26, 2015
  3. aakkam22 Win User
    Two Operating Systems on one Computer

Q. Can I dual-boot Windows 10?

A. If you're going to take advantage of the free upgrade offer, then no, you won't be able to dual-boot. This is because the upgrade is designed to upgrade your current OS; you will not be able to specify a location for the installation.

If you buy a retail license of Windows 10, then you'll be able to dual-boot by installing it next to your existing OS as a clean installation.

aakkam22, Sep 26, 2015
  4. Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

Hello Xtownman Welcome to the Ten Forums!

When you say twin upgrades from 7 to 10 are you referring to having two separate editions of 7 such as 7 Home Premium and 7 Pro each upgraded to 10 Home and 10 Pro? each on separate drives? To add a boot entry for one of the two you can easily download a BCD editing program called EasyBCD which can add the boot for into the BCD store(boot loader configuration) of the 10 upgrade that happens to be on the drive set as the default Disk 0 usually but not always but which drive is set as default in the bios set up program.

Note for each and every download of the EasyBCD program or other free OS utilities seen at Neosmart you will have to re-enter the email address used the first time to register at the sight there. This allows support to contact you as well as you to contact them if you have any problems with the free for home use of their utility programs. Buy options are intended for corporate and other then home type applications.

If you elect to see the upgrades which could become buggy replaced by a clean install of one or the other that will automatically detect and add the boot entry in for you. You can also reset the default OS by opening up the msconfig tool by right clicking on the Start button and scrolling down the right click menu there to the "run" command line option and simply "msconfig" and press the enter/return button to bring that screen up where you click to open the Boot tab and click to highlight the other 10 to see it set as the default. The time out option for how long the boot options will remain in view default 30 seconds can be adjusted there as well as when using the EasyBCD options.

Night Hawk, Sep 26, 2015
  5. Xtownman Win User
    Thank you for the information

Xtownman, Sep 26, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    • Boot up Windows 10
    • Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    • Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    • Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Sep 26, 2015
  7. You can simply slap a boot entry in with a command but won't be able to set or change which will be the default or even back up and restore the mbr without a little help.

The EasyBCD program allows you to review as well as edit the boot entries including seeing them renamed which can quite useful for you there since you are running two not just one single 10 upgrade install. Instead of seeing "Windows 10" twice on the boot options screen you can easily see "Windows 10 Home or Pro 32bit or x86 if not 64bit or x64" applied according when going to rename one or both entries! To get a better idea on how that would turn refer to the guide on dual booting 7 or 8, 8.1 with 10. Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Sep 26, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

What ever you said here, can be done without easybcd.

topgundcp, Sep 26, 2015
  9. EasyBCD was designed to simplify things rather then to complicate them since many will automatically prefer a gui option. Plus you have to consider the possible want to change something later once the entry is added and not simply to removed but tweak things. And what about a possible triple boot coming up? This will be strictly Xtowman will need to decide for himself there however as all we can do is point out the options.

Night Hawk, Sep 26, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Sorry but I am not trying to complicate anything but just doing 3 steps below then you are done. No need to install anything.

• bcdboot X:\Windows
    • bcdedit /set description "Menu description goes here"
    • To change boot order, run msconfig then set whatever you want to run first to default

topgundcp, Sep 26, 2015
  11. Hey EasyBCD is simply an option. I found it reliable however since dual booting XP with Vista when that was first developed and have the latest on the 10/7 dual boot across drives seen on two separate desktops. Plus I have to set up another dual boot on another desktop where the owner has a reading disability to simplify things for that person's use.

For those who are "Tech Savay" on the other hand they will likely pay a visit to TechNet and be familiarized with the BCDEdit Command-Line Options covered there. That covers a potential list of errors as well as listing the various command references.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs) - Similar Threads - Dual Booting Drives

2. Dual booting windows with existing installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting windows with existing installation: Hi all, For various (annoying) reasons, I would like to dual boot two windows installations on my laptop. Currently, Windows 10 Enterprise is installed. Would it be possible to create a new partition from which I could boot a new installation of windows 10 for education? I...
  3. Windows 10 install on dual boot 2 drive Windows-Ubuntu setup

Windows 10 install on dual boot 2 drive Windows-Ubuntu setup: I really need some help getting my dual boot Ubuntu - Windows 10 setup working properly. The issue is a partially corrupted Windows install do to a recent aborted format operation. I originally partitioned and set up my dual boot over 2 years ago and didn't keep detailed...
  4. Windows 10 installation as a dual boot os

Windows 10 installation as a dual boot os: I have a dell Inspiron laptop. It came with windows 7 preinstalled. Now I want to install windows 10 as welp by partitioning the drive. I have created a bootable usb using the windows ISO file downloaded from windows website and using rufus tool, i have formatted the usb...
  5. dual boot Windows 10 with an existing Windows 7 OS & 2 partition NTFS hard drive

dual boot Windows 10 with an existing Windows 7 OS & 2 partition NTFS hard drive: I would like to dual-boot windows 7 and 10 .When I try to install windows 10 on my 2nd 900 GB NTFS partition . I never get a custom install option it just wants to upgrade my 1st partition which is windows 7 OS . I am using a windows a 10 full version dvd ....
  6. 2 x Windows 10 on Dual Boot - 1 OS will not Start/Repair/Reset etc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2 x Windows 10 on Dual Boot - 1 OS will not Start/Repair/Reset etc: Hi, I'm kind of at the end of my tether having tried various solutions over the web to try and fix this problem. I have 2 x Windows 10 on my PC, 1 OS works and one doesn't. The failing one will not repair, no restore points, Have tried SFC scannow, CHkdsk, DISM commands...
  7. Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.: I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the disk is unallocated space. In the BIOS, I set the bios to look for the DVD drive before loading the hard disk. I first tried...
  8. Install older OS as dual boot?

Install older OS as dual boot?: I read on the MS help website that you cannot install older versions of windows as dualboot, however I am having issues playing the same games that I played on win8.1. Microsoft promised that Win10 would improve games, but some of the games I'm playing were rendered...
  9. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?: Hello everyone, Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ? If yes, could i rename one of them, or both, the way i want ? For example, when i select the OS, it should appear something like " Windows 10 gaming "...
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 on Mac OS X El Capitan

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Boot Windows 10 on Mac OS X El Capitan: Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with running windows 10 through boot camp on mac os x? I currently am experiencing glitchy display images as well as not being able to use the search bar next to the windows start menu. 8036