Windows 10: Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Discus and support Dual booting on seperate hard drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible?

:)

xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015

2. Dual Booting on Win10-64 with Win10-32 on seperate hard drives - goes corrupt every time Dual booting on seperate hard drives? :(

Hello,

To help resolve your concern, kindly post your query to
    TechNet forums
    for better assistance.

Regards.

Raymond Ave, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Dual Booting on Win10-64 with Win10-32 on seperate hard drives - goes corrupt every time Dual booting on seperate hard drives? :(

Upon analyzing the details that you have provided, we conclude that the issue is caused by a hardware failure. To
    further assist you, we suggest that you contact your manufacturer to have this check and fix immediately.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Hello xcaliber,

If you upgraded to the free Windows 10 from this Windows 7, then that would violate the EULA. While 10 is installed, you are not suppose to have the 7 key activated. If you do, then you risk having both invalidated.

You would need to purchase either Windows 7 or 10 if you wanted them both installed and activated.

Brink, Aug 15, 2015
  5. i have 2 instances of windows 7 ultimate 64

xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be fine then. Just don't use the Windows 7 key that you upgraded to Windows 10 from. *Smile

Brink, Aug 15, 2015
  7. But how is it done? i have windows 7 installed on my 1000 gig and windows 10 installed on my 500 gig and i dont wana keep switching hds

xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

You should not have to redo anything. With both disks connected, boot up, open disk management and take note of the OS drive letter of the other Windows. Open Admin command prompt then type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter.
    Reboot the PC, you should have a dual boot menu.

NOTE: it is better this way so in the future if you want them to boot separately. Just run msconfig->boot and delete one of the entry then you'll be back to the way it is now.

topgundcp, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Thanks top gun I'll do that now

xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Brilliant this is what I wanted thank you so much

xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Oh and fwiw once I booted from DVD I got the option to choose home or pro upon install windows 10

xcaliber81, Aug 15, 2015
  12. topgundcp Win User
    You are welcome. Glad we could help.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual booting on seperate hard drives? - Similar Threads - Dual booting seperate

2. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management: My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of...
  3. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  4. Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing OS on a seperate hard drive: I am trying to install an OS to a new hard drive for a computer I built, if I purchase the windows 10 OS, can I install it on a hard drive through a SATA reader other than the C: drive or is it going to try to default to my computers C: drive? Also, is the license going to...
  5. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  6. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  7. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...
  8. inquiry about dual booting win10 and osx on seperate drives

inquiry about dual booting win10 and osx on seperate drives: Its my understanding this is much easier (even though i'd prefer the same drive) my set up is convoluted and complicated however. This is due to both my ssd drives being in raid 0 and having windows instealled on them, and my data hdd's are also in raid 0 but have nothing...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives: I want to set up a dual boot system with windows 10 and 7. I have both already installed on separate drives in my desktop system and was wondering if it is still possible to set up a dual boot. Now I just switch boot priority in BIOS, but sometimes when I start up 7 it wants...
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu on Seperate HDDs

Dual Boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu on Seperate HDDs: I am looking to dual boot Windows 10 with Ubuntu. Windows is currently installed on a 256gb SSD while I have a 1TB HDD for general data storage which I don't really use since I have several external devices. Is it possible to dual boot this way since most methods I come...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to instal windows 10 on seperate hdd for dual bootting

2. comand propt to set up dual boots on seperate hard drives