Windows 10: dual booting sequence problem

Discus and support dual booting sequence problem in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I started with Windows Vista, which I still use 99% of the time. A few months ago I set up dual booting with Windows 10 being the second OS (to watch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Waynec444, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Waynec444 Win User

dual booting sequence problem

I started with Windows Vista, which I still use 99% of the time.

A few months ago I set up dual booting with Windows 10 being the second OS (to watch videos that cannot be run in Vista).

At first I was given a choice during the initial bootup process, Vista or 10.

Later on (all of a sudden) Windows 10 starts booting up and then after a bit of time "Windows 10" is giving me the option of choosing which OS to run. I don't want it getting involved unless I ask it to by choosing Windows 10 at the beginning.

I want to go back to it being a choice at the beginning of the bootup process as it now takes a lot longer to boot into Vista. It is a total waste of time.

How can I fix this, having Windows 10 stay completely dormant until I ask it to start up?

Thank you.

:)

Waynec444, Aug 5, 2019
  2. Solaris17 Win User

Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Aug 5, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Boot problem

Hi Brandon,

Windows boot up problem can be caused by boot sequence and hardware issues.

For us to properly assist you, please answer the following questions:

• To avoid performing the same troubleshooting steps, can you tell us the troubleshooting steps that you've tried performing to resolve Windows 10 boot up problems?
    • Any error messages when booting your PC from the recovery drive?
    • Have you made any hardware or software changes on your device prior to the issue?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Arjay Dom, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

1. dual booting sequence problem - Similar Threads - dual booting sequence

2. Boot Sequence Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Sequence Problem: So i've been setting up the boot sequence every time giving Kali Linux Boot USB highest priority, but it always boots as Windows Boot Manager, not allowing the setup of the Linux to initiate. I have created the Boot USB by Rufus, and works but still booting The USB always...
  3. Boot Sequence Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Sequence Problem: So i've been setting up the boot sequence every time giving Kali Linux Boot USB highest priority, but it always boots as Windows Boot Manager, not allowing the setup of the Linux to initiate. I have created the Boot USB by Rufus, and works but still booting The USB always...
  4. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  5. Boot sequence

Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  6. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Dual Boot Problem

Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  8. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  9. Dual Booting Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Booting Problem: In my computer I have 2 SSD. 1 is for my personal use. 1 is for work use. The work use one was cloned from my wife's work PC. I would like to be able to choose from either drive upon startup. However, upon installing the work SSD, it appears that it's drive letter is set to...
  10. Dual boot problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot problems: I install some days before on a win7 system win10. Dual boot menu was starting at the beginning of every boot and i choose what i wanted. Windows 7 is very importand for me cause i have installed a digital signature on them and it does not work on Win10. Today this menu of...