Windows 10: Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04

Discus and support Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've just built my desktop and I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04. I've already partitioned my hard drive, and installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by libertax, Oct 14, 2015.

1. libertax Win User

Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04

Hi,

I've just built my desktop and I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04.

I've already partitioned my hard drive, and installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04, but I'm trying to get to a place where I can choose what OS to start whenever I turn on my computer.

At the moment, I can run both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04 if I go into the BIOS and rearrange my boot priorities, but that's just a huge hassle. Is there a convenient way to choose at startup, similar to how Windows 8 had this?

Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04 [​IMG]

Thanks

:)

libertax, Oct 14, 2015

2. win 7 to 10 update, error "80073bc3-20009"

I did it!

okay so I have to separate drives. one with Ubuntu 15.04 and the other had windows 7.

mbr was on the windows disk. I powered down my pc and unplugged the sata cable on the Ubuntu drive.

next got my windows 7 disk and booted to it. choose the language and keyboard. then clicked repair my computer. it asks which os you'd like to repair, windows duh. clicked next. then ran the old cmd. ran
    bootrec.exe /fixboot

and then (still in cmd) bootrec.exe /fixmbr then rebooted to my windows drive (removed the windows 7 disk.)

did security updates and turned of Microsoft security essentials. rebooted as needed and then went ahead on the update.

now I have windows ten. then I had to reinstall grub for Linux/windows dual boot. plugged the Ubuntu drive back in and loaded an installation usb with my Ubuntu version on it. you must use the same version 14.04 drive then 14.04 usb/ 15.04 drive then 15.04
    usb. installed and ran boot repair. followed the steps here

Boot-Repair - Community Help Wiki

all done and dual booting

hope this helps

johnockert, Oct 14, 2015
  3. How to install dual OS in my Laptop?

I am using windows 10 operating system which is genuine, now i want to install Ubuntu 15.04 into to my laptop.Tell me the suggestions about how to install dual Os?

karthikvankara, Oct 14, 2015
  4. Jimysbil Win User

I don't realy understand what you have done.
    As you said you have create a new partition in order to install ubuntu (you probably have create a swap partition too).
    Those actions are telling me you have installed both Operating Systems on the same hard disk.So if you are setting boot priority from bios it means you have install each one on separated hard disks with separated bootloaders or you simply have install only linux bootloader on an other disk.
    In any case you can setup grub to boot every OS you have installed on any hard disk.

Jimysbil, Oct 14, 2015
  5. libertax Win User
    My BIOS can rearrange partitions for booting order. Also, I can't seem to get to grub, it either boots straight into ubuntu or straight into windows depending on which booting priority I put the BIOS into.

libertax, Oct 14, 2015
  6. So you're saying not only can you specify which disk you boot off but also any partition off the chosen disk, I'm getting on a bit and it's news to me.
    How many physical disks are installed?

Torquemada, Oct 14, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Doesn't matter. When in Windows 10 you can use bcdedit to create a new boot entry to point to Ubuntu. Of course this is difficult as it involves using the command prompt. Fortunately you can do that easier using a utility such as EasyBCD.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  8. libertax Win User

Only one physical disk is installed at the moment.

libertax, Oct 14, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    So all you need is add a boot entry for Ubuntu in Windows Boot Loader with EasyBCD.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  10. It sounds like he's Windows in UEFI mode and Ubuntu in Legacy(MBR) mode and he's switching between UEFI/Legacy (MBR) hence no Grub.

I'm not sure whether the Windows (UEFI) boot loader will switch to legacy mode. I'm not au fait with UEFI systems. Too old and stuck in MBR *Biggrin

Torquemada, Oct 14, 2015
  11. spapakons Win User
    In either case, he will have dual boot by adding a boot entry for Ubuntu in Windows Boot Loader.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  12. Jimysbil Win User
    He could also make grub his first bootloader and set it to chainload windows bootmanager.But if he had use wubi for virtual installation the only solution would be to setup windows bootmanager.

Jimysbil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04 - Similar Threads - Dual Booting Ubuntu

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu

Dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu: Hi I've got Windows 10 and Ubuntu. My problem is that if I choose Ubuntu as default OS I can choose between Ubuntu and Windows but if I choose Windows as default OS I have no choice. I remember that some time ago I could choose OS from some blue menu. How to deal with this...
  5. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  6. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  7. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  8. Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18

Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18: Hi there I tried to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on a Dell XPS laptop. Originally it had Win10. After partitioning and installing Ubuntu, Windows now no longer booting. "no accessible boot device" I tried to change many settings in BIOS: SATA: AHCI UEFI...
  9. How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?: Hi I want to dual boot ubuntu with windows. It seems i need to unlock some settings in windows 10 to dual boot ubuntu. What settings do i need to unlock? After installation, i always want windows to boot by default, i don't choose option. Not linux....
  10. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...