Windows 10: Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1

Discus and support Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have installed Windows 8.1 on a separate drive. Windows 10 (20h2) already installed on my Dell desktop. 8.1 was installed independent of 10 (drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rickk, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Rickk Win User

Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1

Hi I have installed Windows 8.1 on a separate drive. Windows 10 (20h2) already installed on my Dell desktop. 8.1 was installed independent of 10 (drive disconnected) so the boot loader choices was not picked up
    I have two questions :
    1. Do or should I disable fast boot and secure boot in Bios?
    2. I am using easy bcd to set up the dual boot option screen. Which bootloader should I use as default 10 or 8
    1?
    Any and all advise appreciated

:)

Rickk, Mar 28, 2021
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, Mar 28, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1 - Similar Threads - Dual booting

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  6. Windows dual boot

Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  7. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  8. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  9. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows: I like to mess around with different operating systems, but for convenience, I often return to Windows regularly.It would really help me to set up a Dual boot on my Main PC with Windows and Arch Linux so i can mess with diffrend Operating systems Via Distro box or similar...