Windows 10: Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1

Discus and support Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have installed Windows 8.1 on a separate drive. Windows 10 (20h2) already installed on my Dell desktop. 8.1 was installed independent of 10 (drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rickk, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Rickk Win User

Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1

Hi I have installed Windows 8.1 on a separate drive. Windows 10 (20h2) already installed on my Dell desktop. 8.1 was installed independent of 10 (drive disconnected) so the boot loader choices was not picked up
    I have two questions :
    1. Do or should I disable fast boot and secure boot in Bios?
    2. I am using easy bcd to set up the dual boot option screen. Which bootloader should I use as default 10 or 8
    1?
    Any and all advise appreciated

:)

Rickk, Mar 28, 2021
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, Mar 28, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Dual booting Windows 10 with 8.1 - Similar Threads - Dual booting

2. Upgraded Win 10 Home OEM to Win 10 Pro, will Dual Boot to Linux affect my Win 10 Pro license ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded Win 10 Home OEM to Win 10 Pro, will Dual Boot to Linux affect my Win 10 Pro license ?: Upgraded Win 10 Home OEM to Win 10 Pro. I want to use Linux also and want to use Dual boot to use Linux. Will it affect my Win 10 Pro license ?...
  3. BSOD In Windows 10 Dual Boot With Ubuntu 20.04

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD In Windows 10 Dual Boot With Ubuntu 20.04: Warm Greetings, My Windows 10 Crashes within 5 Minutes of use. It also changes the BIOS Settings and next time when I try to Boot an Error Shows up stating EFI IPv4 BOOT FAILED. Default Boot order: 1. Ubuntu 2. Windows 3. EFI My Ubuntu works perfectly well, but...
  4. Removing CentOS Dual Boot

Removing CentOS Dual Boot: Hello! I have a Dell Precision 3551, which I dual booted to run CentOS 8 with Windows 10. Now that I don't need Linux, I needed to remove the dual boot. I deleted the partition and created Windows 10 installation media on a USB. BUT... After booting to my USB, going to...
  5. HOW TO INSTALL Android x86 and Dual Boot with Windows 10 on ANY PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HOW TO INSTALL Android x86 and Dual Boot with Windows 10 on ANY PC: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Gromish1995 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mn225j/how_to_install_android_x86_and_dual_boot_with/
  6. Dual Boot Menu missing after data migration

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Boot Menu missing after data migration: Hello Community, I migrated two systems W8.1 and W10 from two different HDDs onto two SSDs. The systems start well individually but I have to enter the BIOS to choose either one of them. Prior to the data migration, I had the dual boot function straight upon startup. Now it...
  7. For any Dual Booters with GRUB first booting-How to make it so you can get into Bitlocker...

For any Dual Booters with GRUB first booting-How to make it so you can get into Bitlocker...: I am setting up a dual boot system, and have it so GRUB comes up first- The issue is, when I turned on Bitlocker after setting up Windows then Debian, I noticed in GRUB, whenever i select Windows Boot Manager, I just get a black screen.... Note:everything is UEFI and Secure...
  8. Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]: Good morning / evening everyone i have windows and kali linux installed on my machine , when i first installed kali , there was a problem and it's that kali didn't appear in the dual boot menu , only windows 10 did , i solved this issue by booting into windows then going to...
  9. Dual boot and time synchronization

Dual boot and time synchronization: On my PC I've two OS: the main one, Windows 10, and the one I use for some university classes, Ubuntu. The whole setup is set up like this: If I want to use Windows, I simply turn on the PC, without entering the Boot menu, even if I was using Ubuntu; If I want to use...
  10. weird system drive letter on dual boot

weird system drive letter on dual boot: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...