Windows 10: Dual installation of Windows 10 Pro & Windows XP Pro

Discus and support Dual installation of Windows 10 Pro & Windows XP Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've cleanly installed Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) in UEFI mode in my new computer. I'm planning to have XP by either dual boot (separate hard disk) or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Maria2015, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Maria2015 Win User

Dual installation of Windows 10 Pro & Windows XP Pro

I've cleanly installed Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) in UEFI mode in my new computer.

I'm planning to have XP by either dual boot (separate hard disk) or virtualization.

But this question is strictly regarding with dual boot.

If I unplug hard disk containing Windows 10, install Windows XP in separate hard disk in legacy BIOS mode (as XP doesn't suppoer UEFI), replug hard disk containing Windows 10, would I be able to have properly functioning dual boot?

If not, can you please suggest how to make this to be happen?

:)

Maria2015, Oct 17, 2015
  2. scopeguy Win User

IBM Kiosk 4838-530 touch driver

Could not download any drivers from the IBM website. I formatted the drive and installed XP Pro. I had a real tough time getting drivers for the audio, video, and Ethernet. I finally found them. Then I made a new partition and installed Windows 10 Pro.
    Both Operating systems are fully functional with all drivers now. I finally located the touch drivers, too, so I now have a dual boot XP Pro and Windows 10 Pro system with everything working.

scopeguy, Oct 17, 2015
  3. 1 HD with 2 partitions, 1 with Win 10 & 1 with Win XP. Is this possible? No rollback or system restore, just want to use 1 old program on Win XP & go back to Win 10. Thanks.

Hi

Have you tried to run and install the program in compatibility mode? If not, kindly do so and check if it helps.

Instead of creating a dual-boot configuration, you can also use Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro and install a virtual machine with Windows XP from there. The last option would be to install Windows XP using a dual-boot configuration from a different partition.

We're looking forward to your response.

Jesebel Ova, Oct 17, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would think your process would work. You will have to manually add the entry to boot Windows XP in the BCD on Windows 10 after you go back to booting from the WIndows 10 hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Because Windows own bcdedit involves command line and is difficult to use, I suggest a utility such as EasyBCD where you can add/remove entries easily from a graphics interface.

spapakons, Oct 17, 2015
  6. Maria2015 Win User
    Thanks to your replies.

I wandered through EasyBCD website & https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/uefi tells-
    "If your Windows PC is booting in EFI mode, Microsoft has blocked the loading of legacy or non-Windows operating systems from the BCD menu. This means that you can no longer use EasyBCD to add Windows 9x, XP, or Server 2003 entries to the BCD bootloader menu."

Can I still manually add Windows XP entry in Windows 10 BCD as suggested by NavyLCDR?

Thanks & regards,

Maria.

Maria2015, Oct 18, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    You can download EasyBCD and try. You need a new boot entry that points to the boot.ini file of Windows XP.

spapakons, Oct 18, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You will probably have to turn secure boot off in your bios in order to boot to Windows XP because Windows XP did not support it. It's a security measure that allows bios to only boot an operating system with a valid signature and came out later than Windows XP did.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual installation of Windows 10 Pro & Windows XP Pro - Similar Threads - Dual installation Pro

2. OEM of Windows XP Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM of Windows XP Pro: I am now aware of the limitations of OEM copies about them being tied to the original hardware they were installed on, however I do have a question. Did I do something wrong when I temporarily installed an OEM copy of XP Pro to try to retrieve files from software where the...
  3. OEM of Windows XP Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM of Windows XP Pro: I am now aware of the limitations of OEM copies about them being tied to the original hardware they were installed on, however I do have a question. Did I do something wrong when I temporarily installed an OEM copy of XP Pro to try to retrieve files from software where the...
  4. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  5. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  6. Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro: Greetings, I hope this finds you and yours as well as you can be, in these trying times. I am currently running a laptop with one OEM windows (came with the machine) and a retail copy I purchased, on two different partitions. I use the machine for music production and the...
  7. Dual boot Windows 10 Pro with Windows 10 Pro failed

Dual boot Windows 10 Pro with Windows 10 Pro failed: Hi, I have to make a dual boot with both Windows 10 Pro install on the same SSD of 512 GB. My problem is : The first one is installed well with the 4 partitions on a GPT style partition. When I want to install the second one, it tells me "Cannot install Windows. The...
  8. Office XP Pro on windows 10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office XP Pro on windows 10: I am trying to install Microsoft Office XP Pro with Frontpage 2002 on my windows 10 and it won't install. I get the run option but nothing else happens. Any suggestions? Thanks 48556
  9. Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.: I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the disk is unallocated space. In the BIOS, I set the bios to look for the DVD drive before loading the hard disk. I first tried...
  10. Windows XP PRO version

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows XP PRO version: I am trying to identify if my Windows XP Pro is 32 or 64 bit. I checked the usual places but it just says Windows XP Pro 2000 sp3. My processor is an AMD-64 3000+ and my RAM is 64 bit. How else can I find out? Thank you. 89033