Windows 10: DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

Discus and support DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Notebook with external monitor. Active Desktop is on embedded monitor. Close lid, desktop jumpes to external monitor. How to stop that bad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traveler99, Jan 7, 2019.

1. DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

Hello

Notebook with external monitor.
    Active Desktop is on embedded monitor.
    Close lid, desktop jumpes to external monitor. How to stop that bad behavior?

Power Options: When I close the lid: Do Nothing.
    That's a blatant lie. It does something. I moves the desktop to the external monitor, which is not helpful.

:)

Traveler99, Jan 7, 2019
  2. jsmith613 Win User

Close laptop lid - external monitor

Yep. The computer remained and I could use the external monitor. But all windows on the laptop screen moved over. Currently when the lid is closed, the windows remain on the laptop screen which is then "off"

jsmith613, Jan 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Jan 7, 2019
  4. slurins Win User

DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

How to use my Win 10 laptop either as a standalone laptop or in a desktop setup with an external monitor attached and my lid closed

I recently got a desktop organizer that allows me to have my monitor screwed into its platform, and this puts my monitor at the optimal level.

Up until now I've been using my laptop's keyboard, and I would prefer to have the laptop lid closed and use the new keyboard and monitor setup instead of my laptop's keyboard and screen.

What steps do I need to take so that I can close my laptop's lid and work this way?

Thanks in advance,

slurins, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

1. DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves - Similar Threads - DUal monitor close

2. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  3. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  4. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dual Monitors with Laptop closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors with Laptop closed: I am running Windows 11 with dual monitors and having my laptop CLOSED.When I open certain programs, they open on the CLOSED laptop. Why is it doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitors-with-laptop-closed/431a6e31-12c9-4eb0-a647-84a37967022e
  6. Dual Monitors with Laptop closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors with Laptop closed: I am running Windows 11 with dual monitors and having my laptop CLOSED.When I open certain programs, they open on the CLOSED laptop. Why is it doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitors-with-laptop-closed/431a6e31-12c9-4eb0-a647-84a37967022e
  7. Using External Monitors with lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  8. Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid: Hi, I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that when I close the lid, the laptop automatically turns off the laptop display and stops using the internal video card which...
  9. Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Icons on Dual Monitors: On my dual monitor system there are shortcut icons that will move themselves to the 2nd monitor (HDMI connection). I don't use the 2nd full time so I would like them to stay on the 1st. To move them back I have to turn on the other monitor and drag them back. If I unplug the...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...