Windows 10: Dual monitor setup - secondary monitor failing to post on startup

Discus and support Dual monitor setup - secondary monitor failing to post on startup in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all, I have been running a dual monitor setup on a Windows 10 PC and ever since a windows update a few weeks ago I have been having the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by cjhill44, Sep 25, 2017.

1. cjhill44 Win User

Dual monitor setup - secondary monitor failing to post on startup

Hi all,

I have been running a dual monitor setup on a Windows 10 PC and ever since a windows update a few weeks ago I have been having the following issue..

When I boot up the PC initially I see the same display on both screens, all perfectly normal. However when I land on the PC login screen all i see is a black screen with a cursor.

Just before the PC loads up this screen, my 2nd monitor (which should display the password login screen) loses signal, so I know the PC is loading up fine, it's just not displaying on the monitor.

Strangely when I manually switch the PC off via the power button and then switch it back on again everything starts up fine, the 2nd monitor is posting/receiving a signal.

I have checked for updates on my graphics card but I have the most recent ones. The graphics card is quite old (roughly 7 year old Nvidia card.

I have looked at the display settings menu and the monitors appear to be configured correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this can be solved?

Thanks,

Chris

:)

cjhill44, Sep 25, 2017

2. Blank Screen with Personalized Settings Comes Up Upon Logging In

I should add, I'm using a dual monitor setup, and this occurs on my primary monitor. My secondary monitor is just a blank screen, though my mouse cursor can be put onto it.

DurchBurch, Sep 25, 2017
  3. Dual Monitor Issue

I have a dual monitor setup, the secondary monitor is a different format, but Windows 10 treats it like it is the same as the primary monitor. It didn't used to be this way with previous versions of Windows. How can I remedy this problem?

KidHarrison, Sep 25, 2017
  4. THX1138 Win User

POST means power-on self-test and is something done by the motherboard before booting the operating system. I can't really help with your problem but I can tell you that your monitor is not "failing to POST".

Is the graphics driver the most up-to-date available?

THX1138, Sep 26, 2017
  5. cjhill44 Win User
    OK thanks, I would edit my post if I had the ability to simply state that the monitor is not receiving a signal.

The graphics card does have the latest driver yes, I checked that

cjhill44, Sep 26, 2017
  6. THX1138 Win User
    If you right click on the desktop and choose one of the bottom options that says something like display settings and scroll to the bottom, does the drop down box say "extend desktop to this display" for the offending monitor? Can you make the cursor go outside the boundary of your primary monitor?

THX1138, Sep 26, 2017
  7. cjhill44 Win User
    Yes both say the same. Both monitors work fine after a manual reboot via the power button on the tower.

Just that on the initial boot up the screen that should show the login screen appears to lose signal when it boots up to the windows 10 login screen.

I have tried switching the monitors over in display settings so that it will display the login screen but the 2nd monitor still says 'no signal'

cjhill44, Sep 26, 2017
  8. THX1138 Win User

If you physically swap the monitor cables does the fault move with the cables or stay on the same monitor?

THX1138, Sep 26, 2017
  9. alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual monitor setup - secondary monitor failing to post on startup - Similar Threads - Dual monitor setup

2. Dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor setup: I have upgraded my GPU and no longer have a DVI port now 1x HDMI & 3x Display Port so I bought a VGA to DP cable. My second and older monitor is VGA connection and had an adaptor for VGA to DVI. Both monitors are working, but the older monitor is classed as 1 now and not 2....
  3. Dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor setup: I have upgraded my GPU and no longer have a DVI port now 1x HDMI & 3x Display Port so I bought a VGA to DP cable. My second and older monitor is VGA connection and had an adaptor for VGA to DVI. Both monitors are working, but the older monitor is classed as 1 now and not 2....
  4. Dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dual monitor setup

Dual monitor setup: I am trying to set up two different screens, but the settings aren't detecting the other monitor. I am using a hp dms 59 to dual vga y split cable adapter, and it doesnt seem to work....
  6. Dual Monitor Setup

Dual Monitor Setup: I just installed a second monitor on my desktop pc. My original monitor is connected via HDMI. My second monitor is connected via VGA. Windows 10 automatically detected my additional monitor and set it up with the correct settings for best picture EXCEPT for one thing. My...
  7. Dual Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor Setup: I am trying to connect (2) ACER X183h monitors to my computer (Windows 10). The ACER monitors are VGA connected to a dual VGA --> HDMI adapter. The HDMI is plugged into the HDMI port. The computer does not have a VGA port. I've tried to hit the "detect" button on a second...
  8. Dual Monitor Setup?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Setup?: I have a dell xps 9550 laptop that i connect to an external monitor as my primary monitor. Its syncmaster t240 hd and its 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an old asus 24' monitor that a while back no longer worked... it stopped working and i brought it to a few repair...
  9. Dual Monitor Setup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor Setup?: I have a dell xps 9550 laptop that i connect to an external monitor as my primary monitor. Its syncmaster t240 hd and its 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an old asus 24' monitor that a while back no longer worked... it stopped working and i brought it to a few repair...
  10. Dual Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Setup: I have had a dual monitor setup for at least a year now with no issues on either monitor. A month ago, I decided to buy a new monitor and I set my wife up with my old monitor so she could use a dual monitor setup for herself. I plugged the monitors in and it booted up just...