Windows 10: Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

Discus and support Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have a Dell 23" monitor that i have been using on my desktop PC, i recently tried to connect my old TV with HDMI to it with HDMI to HDMI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Georgefw, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Georgefw Win User

Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

Hi guys,

I have a Dell 23" monitor that i have been using on my desktop PC, i recently tried to connect my old TV with HDMI to it with HDMI to HDMI cable as a dual monitor set up or just to use as my default screen when watching movies.

When I plug in my Dell monitor all works fine, the moment I plug in the HDMI into the TV as well my PC screen turns off and the TV stays on but with no picture or display.

It did work for a moment but when I tried to change the resolution for the TV in my windows display settings this happened. It almost looks like it is picking up my TV as my default display now but it is not showing anything.

Is there a way to revert these settings or make a change?
    My TV is not picked up in my display settings when i turn it off?

:)

Georgefw, Apr 30, 2017
  2. bnowak47 Win User

Display settings, turning on second display

Hello,

I have two displays: monitor and tv from my computer. In the Display Settings screen, they both show up- Display 1 is the tv, display 2 if the monitor and set as main display and extends to the tv. (I'd like the renumber these as well, but that's not entirely
    important.)

I only use my tv to watch a tv show or movie. Thus, it is turned off most of the time. However, when I turn the tv on, my monitor flashes black for a moment, and if I check the Display Settings, Display 1 (the tv) disappears for about 5 seconds. Display
    2 (the monitor) shows as the only display and is thus Display 1. However, when it comes back, they revert to as described in the first paragraph.

My question is, how do I get the tv not to disappear when I turn it on in Display Settings? I never had this problem in Windows 7 so I have no idea why it's happening now (though that was with a different computer, but there shouldn't be an issue).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

bnowak47, Apr 30, 2017
  3. 3rd Display Not Working

I have a unique set up in that I have 2 monitors I use for normal use (one is DVI and the other display port), and a 3rd connection to a TV for gaming/movies (HDMI).

The behavior I have is an extended monitor between the two primary screens, and when the TV is on, windows is set to only display on the TV.

Up until recently this has worked mostly ok. I have had issues with certain applications not displaying full screen if one of my primary monitors is connected though. Today I turned on my TV, and every 2-3 the TV disconnects and re-connects. This can be
    seen in the display settings window where the TV disappears from the list seconds before I lose picture.

Oddly enough, if I turn off my primary display (display port) this issue does not occur any more, just like previously with my full screen applications. Turning off the monitor to play certain games was something I could work with, but having to turn off
    my primary monitor every time I turn on my TV is annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core I7-6700 @ 3.40GHz

16GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Primary Display: ASUS V5247 (display port)

Secondary Display: Philips 220SW (DVI)

TV: SEIKI SE39UY04

LithiumDebator, Apr 30, 2017
Thema:

Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

1. Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on - Similar Threads - Dual Monitor set

2. Third monitor/TV doesnt turn off on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Third monitor/TV doesnt turn off on PC: Hi, I bought a TV some time ago and wanted to connect it to my computer, but after turning off the TV the computer still thinks the device is connected. I wanted to solve this via win+P, but it doesn't offer me exactly what I need. I can either just use my main or secondary...
  3. when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...: Hello could you please help me with my problem. i recently started conecting my pc to my 4k lg tv and in the display options i selected that it should show only on the tv screen which when enabled turns the computer monitor screen off but after that i saw that there is an...
  4. when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...

when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...: Hello could you please help me with my problem. i recently started conecting my pc to my 4k lg tv and in the display options i selected that it should show only on the tv screen which when enabled turns the computer monitor screen off but after that i saw that there is an...
  5. when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Random External TV/Monitor Display Turning Off & Back On

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random External TV/Monitor Display Turning Off & Back On: Dell G5 15 Laptop, running Windows 10 - drivers, Windows Updates, etc. kept up to dateTV is a Vizeo V505-G9 - keeps itself up to date on firmware/software/etc.Monitors are Acer KG251QDetails Happened on more than one setup.TV only on HDMI, external monitor on USBC/Thunderbolt...
  7. Random External TV/Monitor Display Turning Off & Back On

Random External TV/Monitor Display Turning Off & Back On: Dell G5 15 Laptop, running Windows 10 - drivers, Windows Updates, etc. kept up to dateTV is a Vizeo V505-G9 - keeps itself up to date on firmware/software/etc.Monitors are Acer KG251QDetails Happened on more than one setup.TV only on HDMI, external monitor on USBC/Thunderbolt...
  8. Random External TV/Monitor Display Turning Off & Back On

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Monitor doesn't turn off when TV is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor doesn't turn off when TV is plugged in?: So here's the set up: WIN10 pro 64bit MSI X470 Gamingplus + AMD Ryzen 7 2700 RTX2070 MSI MAG322CQR (connected with displayport) Samsung TV (connected with HDMI) Now all works fine if I unplug the TV from GPU. But when I plug in the HDMI to connect my TV, my monitor...
  10. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

in Windows 10 Customization
    No display on monitor when TV set as primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...