Windows 10: Dual Monitor Y-Cable

Discus and support Dual Monitor Y-Cable in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I did, some years ago, implement a couple of dual monitor solutions with Dell machines using a Y-Cable provided by Dell (using a DMS59 socket on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by papa2jaja, Nov 20, 2015.

1. papa2jaja Win User

Dual Monitor Y-Cable

I did, some years ago, implement a couple of dual monitor solutions with Dell machines using a Y-Cable provided by Dell (using a DMS59 socket on the computer). I'd like to do that at home now.

I have a Radeon 7850, which has a fully populated DVI-I-plug (i.e. two monitor signals). I want to buy a DVI-Y-cable, connect two monitors to it, and let Windows 10 (1511) create a Desktop which spans these two monitors (monitors have same resolution and frequency).

Now, I read on Amazon a lot of talk that you actually cannot do that with a Y cable, you can only have the same content on both monitors. Which is the opposite of what my own experience tells me, and also seems unlogical, since there are two fully equipped data channels which can provide a horizontal resolution of at least 2560 pixels, and I have done this before, a few years ago, and it worked.

Can anyone please she some light on this for me - am I missing something? Can this be done with my graphics card and a Y-cable, or do I need some sort of active box which splits the signals onto two monitors for me?

Thank in advance for all comments!

:)

papa2jaja, Nov 20, 2015
  2. SML1693 Win User

dual monitors using a 2 port VGA monitor splitter Y cable?

How can I get Windows 10 to recognize dual monitors using a 2 port VGA monitor splitter Y cable? Display settings does not detect the second monitor.

SML1693, Nov 20, 2015
  3. SML1693 Win User
    dual monitor using VGA splitter Y cable

I have added a second monitor using a 2 port VGA monitor splitter VGA HD-15 splitter Y cable. Second monitor simply displays same thing as 1st one. Windows cannot detect the second monitor. Help?

SML1693, Nov 20, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Dual Monitor Y-Cable

What makes you think the content is different on the Analog vs Digital lines of a single socket?

Mystere, Nov 20, 2015
  5. papa2jaja Win User
    Nothing. But looking at the pin layout of a DVI plug, there seem to be two complete digital data channels in it, and I thought Windows or the Grafix card drivers can somehow work with that. The analog part is the 4 pins in a square layout on the side right ? That is not what I was referring to .

If I am entirely mistaken - then what do I have to do to get an extended W10-Desktop across two monitors? I know what I have to do in Windows, but how do I have to connect the monitors? Or do I need a graphics card with two separate DVI sockets

papa2jaja, Nov 20, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    For dual mode to work, you must use two separate outputs, like a DVI and a VGA. Using a Y cable on a single output, you simply split the signal on two monitors, but you see the same picture. This is used with projectors so you can see the picture on the projector, as well as another screen. What outputs your graphics card provides? HDMI can be converted to DVD and vice versa with a simple adaptor. DVI-I (including the analog pins) can be converted to analog VGA with an adaptor. HDMI can be converted to VGA or vice versa with a converter (more expensive than a simple adaptor as it has to convert from digital to analog and vice versa). As long as you have at least two SEPARATE outputs, you can have two separate pictures in dual mode. To get more you need to install a second graphics card. For motherboards with a single PCI-E 16x slot, you can install a legacy PCI VGA card (don't expect big performance, but it works).

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  7. papa2jaja Win User
    Thank you spapakon. My card has a Mini-Displayport and a DVI port. So I need an adaptor Mini Displayport -> DVI adaptor, as my monitors don't have a Displayport. Thank you for your help!

papa2jaja, Nov 20, 2015
  8. Dual Monitor Y-Cable

The DMS59 port on your old computer was specifically designed for dual monitors though a single port. DVI on the other hand was not, Dual-Link DVI does not mean it supports multiple monitors, it means it supports higher resolution displays. The only modern port that supports multiple monitors though a single port is DisplayPort.

To further add, while the DVI port has separate pins for analog adapters, the interface repurpose the other digital pins for analog output when a proper analog adapter is used.

logicearth, Nov 20, 2015
  9. papa2jaja Win User
    Thank you for explaining, logicearth!

papa2jaja, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Dual Monitor Y-Cable

1. Dual Monitor Y-Cable - Similar Threads - Dual Monitor Cable

2. dual monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual monitors: I have dual monitor set up working fine with one monitor with converted dvi to hdmi set up. The other monitor is running on vga connection solely, but when attempting to convert vga to hdmi as well is when I encountered the problem that this monitor went "black" with no...
  3. Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitors: We are running enterprise edition Windows 10 64 bit. My user has dual monitors at their desk and is connected to those monitors via a WD19 docking station, and the computer is a Dell Latitude 7400. In the display settings it always shows 3 screens and their icons keep moving...
  4. Dual 2560x1440 Monitors using DisplayPort Cable

Dual 2560x1440 Monitors using DisplayPort Cable: I have two identical HP EliteDisplay E273q 27-Inch LED Monitors. HP Probook Laptop HP usb-c Dock Adapter Intel UHD Graphics 350 My trouble is that when I use the dock which has two DisplayPort ports - one monitor shows up at 2560x1440 while the other gets stuck at...
  5. dual monitors

dual monitors: I'm working from home temporarily, my personal laptop desktop detects my second monitor and is working well. but when I access my work desktop via my personal laptop, it doesn't even detect a second monitor. in display settings, it doesn't even ask to detect a second monitor....
  6. Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitors: Greetings. I have two monitors that are not side by side but on top of one another. One is a laptop and the other is a large Monitor that sits above it. I would like to move between screens by moving the mouse up and down instead of side to side. I use Windows 10. Is that...
  7. Dual monitors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual monitors: So I recently purchased a mid tier gaming pc and I'm having difficulty getting my second monitor to work. I know both monitors are in perfect working condition so that's not the problem. In display settings the computer is telling me that is recognizes 2 displays and I can...
  8. dual monitors

dual monitors: I don't know what I did but my dual monitors now display the same screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitors/62c8b91d-637c-4073-b21a-a8b25c161db6
  9. Dual monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitors: I have a second monitor but my pc does not seem to detect it. I've tried everething on youtube but cannot find a solution plz help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitors/67f9623f-cb78-456f-bd4f-651bb46b2d6f
  10. [Need help] Problems using dual monitors via HDMI cable.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    [Need help] Problems using dual monitors via HDMI cable.: As the topics aid above ,I have a problem with dual monitor via HDMI. I want to connect my laptop to the second monitor via HDMI cable. I can connect it with out any problem but the the second is display Not optimus , recommend 1600*900 60Hz And the font in the...