Windows 10: Dual Monitors going from HDMI to DP

Discus and support Dual Monitors going from HDMI to DP in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 3668 with 1 VGA and 1 HDMI outputs. I have 2 Dell E2216H monitors with 1 VGA and 1 DP outputs on each monitor. The first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by D4B, Feb 14, 2019.

1. D4B
    D4B Win User

Dual Monitors going from HDMI to DP

I have a Dell Inspiron 3668 with 1 VGA and 1 HDMI outputs. I have 2 Dell E2216H monitors with 1 VGA and 1 DP outputs on each monitor. The first monitor hooked up via VGA works fine. I bought a cable with HDMI on 1 end and DP on the other. But the 2nd monitor will not work. It keeps saying that there isn't a cable hooked up. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

2. NavyLCDR Win User

Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

To go from HDMI on computer to DisplayPort on monitor, you need a powered adapter such as this:
    Amazon.com: HDMI to DisplayPort Converter Adapter Cable with USB Power,QGeeM 4K x 2K HDMI to DP Adaptor for HDMI Equipped Systems,Compliant with VESA Dual-Mode DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4 and HDCP: Electronics

The USB-C on your XPS 15 9550 is the DisplayPort. If you want dual external monitors on the XPS 15 9550, the best combination is 1 monitor with HDMI and one monitor with DisplayPort. The HDMI monitor gets connected to the HDMI port on the computer with a simple HDMI cable. The DisplayPort monitor gets connected to the USB-C port on the computer with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable:

Amazon.com: Fixget USB C to DisplayPort Cable (5.49ft/1.8m), 4K@60Hz USB 3.1 Type C (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) to DP Cable for 2016 MacBook Pro, MacBook 12, ChromeBook Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus: Electronics

If you have two external monitors with HDMI, then one goes HDMI to HDMI with the simple cable, and the other goes to the USB-C port on the computer with either a USB-C to HDMI adapter, or USB-C to HDMI cable:

Amazon.com: USB C to HDMI, CableCreation USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI 4K Hub Adapter (Thunderbolt 3), DP Alt Mode, Male to Female, Compatible MacBook Pro/Chromebook Pixel/Dell XPS 13/Yoga 920/Samsung Note S9,S8, White: Electronics

Amazon.com: Aibocn USB C to HDMI Cable, Type C (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) to HDMI 4K Cable for MacBook Pro, Surface Book 2, iMac, Galaxy S9/S8/Note 8, Dell XPS 13/15, Pixelbook and More - 6.5FT/2m: Electronics

The only difficult connection would be to connect a DisplayPort monitor to the HDMI connection on the computer, you don't want to do that.

NavyLCDR, Feb 14, 2019
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Dual monitors with HDMI not working

Hi Anthony,

If both devices aren't detecting each other after properly setting them up, try these steps and see if it helps:

• First you need a video cable for making the physically connection. For better picture quality, you should connect the computer to the TV using standard VGA ports or via the DVI to HDMI cable provided your TV supports these ports.
    • Open the "display settings" in your computer and activate output to the TV screen. You can either mirror content of your computer on the TV or extend the display just like a dual monitor screen.
    • Pick up your TV remote and switch to "External Inputs" from the menu. You will need to change the default "Video 1" to a different selection which may be "HDMI 1" or "Video 2" depending on how you have made the connection.

Important: Make sure you connect the cable to the TV before turning on the computer as sometimes it may fail to recognize external display.

Also, you may refer to Andre Da Costa's How to add multiple monitors to
    your Windows 10 PC
    for more information about setting up dual monitors in Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Feb 14, 2019
  4. mlg63 Win User

mlg63, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Dual Monitors going from HDMI to DP - Similar Threads - Dual Monitors going

2. No Sound from DP on monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Sound from DP on monitor.: I have an ASUS ROG Swift XG27AQ Gaming Monitor and when I have it connected via HDMI port there is sounds from the built in speakers but when I switch to the DP I no longer get any sound from the monitor. I have the latest BIOS and drivers for my motherboard. TX Gaming B760M...
  3. No Sound from DP on monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Sound from DP on monitor.: I have an ASUS ROG Swift XG27AQ Gaming Monitor and when I have it connected via HDMI port there is sounds from the built in speakers but when I switch to the DP I no longer get any sound from the monitor. I have the latest BIOS and drivers for my motherboard. TX Gaming B760M...
  4. Headphone connected to monitor - DP is okay but no audio with HDMI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone connected to monitor - DP is okay but no audio with HDMI: I have a monitor with no speakers. If I connect my headphones to my pc I get audio with both HDMI and DP cables. If I connect it to my monitor though, I only get audio with DP cable. I need it to be connected to the monitor because I use more than one device with audio, and...
  5. Headphone connected to monitor - DP is okay but no audio with HDMI

Headphone connected to monitor - DP is okay but no audio with HDMI: I have a monitor with no speakers. If I connect my headphones to my pc I get audio with both HDMI and DP cables. If I connect it to my monitor though, I only get audio with DP cable. I need it to be connected to the monitor because I use more than one device with audio, and...
  6. Headphone connected to monitor - DP is okay but no audio with HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher: I would like to use my 4x1 HDMI switch with my laptop and my Nintendo Switch into an external monitor. With my wiring as it currently stands, My laptop screen is extended to the external monitor while my Nintendo Switch is not in use. When I use the HDMI switch to play on my...
  8. Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher

Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher: I would like to use my 4x1 HDMI switch with my laptop and my Nintendo Switch into an external monitor. With my wiring as it currently stands, My laptop screen is extended to the external monitor while my Nintendo Switch is not in use. When I use the HDMI switch to play on my...
  9. Windows from HDMI monitor move to DP monitor when monitors go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows from HDMI monitor move to DP monitor when monitors go to sleep.: Hello!I couldn't find anything about this issue using search engines, so I thought I'd try here!I'm using Windows 11.I have two monitors of the same brand and basically the same model. I have a GTX 1660 Super.Monitor 1 is connected through DP.Monitor 2 is connected through...
  10. Windows from HDMI monitor move to DP monitor when monitors go to sleep.

Windows from HDMI monitor move to DP monitor when monitors go to sleep.: Hello!I couldn't find anything about this issue using search engines, so I thought I'd try here!I'm using Windows 11.I have two monitors of the same brand and basically the same model. I have a GTX 1660 Super.Monitor 1 is connected through DP.Monitor 2 is connected through...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dp to hdmi for dual monitors

2. dual monitors with dp and hdmi

3. how to dual screen using a dp and hdmi

4. hdmi to dp dual,
  5. scanning for signal message on dell monitor,
  6. dp adapter hdmi cable vde dual monitors ,
  7. dp and hdmi dual monitor,
  8. hdmi dp dual monitor