Windows 10: Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

Discus and support Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by David P. Vancouver, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Everything was working well until I added an HDMI electronic switch between the computer and the HDTV So I can connect other video sources; the HDTV has just 2 HDMI inputs and one is taken by my cable TV box. everything else goes through the HDMI switch.

I frequently use the display mode of "Extend these monitors" for applications like ZOOM, but always set the displays to "Show only on the Lenovo monitor" before I shut down. Since I have introduced the switch, I get strange and inconsistent behaviour when I boot the PC. Some of the time, Windows tries to run on the HDTV monitor, even if it is not powered on. If I do have both the Lenovo monitor and the HDTV on and the PC decides to boot to the HDTV, I see the Windows logo, but then Windows seems to revert to the Lenovo monitor. The problem is that in this mode, the Lenovo monitor is in some kind of super-magnified mode, where I can see just a few extra large icons and no taskbar. I can't use windows at all. The only way out seems to be to power off the PC and then power it back on, until it boots into a normal state.

How can I get my PC to always boot to the Lenovo monitor?

:)

David P. Vancouver, Apr 15, 2021
  2. echoDL Win User

Dual monitors, both say they are the primary display. Help?

So I was gaming on Facebook in full screen on my secondary display (because I can still see the clock on the primary display, smart huh) when the primary display went black like it just went to sleep. I don't have a task bar on the secondary display, no
    clock, no start button, no restart your computer, just hit the big red switch and pray, right? I tried ctr/alt/del, but I guess that popped up on the primary display which was still black. I right-clicked on the secondary display, went to screen resolution
    and set that to the primary which worked fine. The task bar switched over and I was able to restart the computer. Both monitors came back up just fine, one with the primary display, one just a blank background. Tracking from left screen to right is fine, but
    the screens are switched. Then I went to set the other monitor back to the primary display, but in the screen resolution window, that monitor says it is set as the primary display which it clearly is not. I checked the other monitor. That one says it is set
    as the primary display too. AAAHHH! I suppose I could just swap the cables, Windows will still say both are the primary display, but they will work in the right order. But, how can I actually fix the problem?

echoDL, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    How to make external monitor as primary monitor?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to make the external monitor connected to the laptop as a primary display and do not want to mirror the laptop display.

We would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + P, and select
      Extend.
    2. Now, press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on System, and select
      Display
      on the left pane.
    4. Now, under Rearrange your displays, click on Identify to
      Identify the displays.
    5. Click on the display number that is for external monitor.
    6. Scroll down, and click on the checkbox for
      Make this my main display.

Refer the screenshots below:

Identify and select Display:

Dual monitors:  keeping the primary display primary 011e4133-69c0-4702-8fd5-668b7efa16bb?upload=true.png

Select Primary display:

Dual monitors:  keeping the primary display primary 2aee1086-e3a9-454e-96b5-5fc599d2efbc?upload=true.png

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

How do I make games open on the primary display?

I have 3 monitors on a nvidia GTX660Ti, with the latest drivers, on windows 10, upgraded from win7, on a PC that I have been gaming on for quite some time now. The hardware itself has been an excellent gaming rig up until the windows upgrade and/or the
    nvidia driver upgrade, but now a number of my games will not start on the primary display, they start on the first display in the list, which is not marked as primary. Both the windows display settings and the nvidia control panel have my central monitor
    identified as the primary display.

• Has anybody encountered this behavior?
    • Is it likely to be windows 10 related or decided by the nvidia driver?
    • Any suggestions on getting this to behave properly, like it used to, without requiring me to disable the other displays to get the primary to be used?

Les Ferguson, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

1. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary - Similar Threads - Dual monitors keeping

2. Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor keeps disappearing!: My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen. The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode,...
  3. Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

Primary monitor keeps disappearing!: My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen. The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode,...
  4. Primary display is not recognizing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary display is not recognizing.: HI, I AM USING HP LAPTOP, I CONNECTED A SECONDARY MONITOR LG BY USING HDMI CABLE , FROM THERE THE SECONDARY MONITORS IS ACT AS AN PRIMARY DISPLAY THE LAPTOP DISPLAY IS NOT DISPLAYING AND ALSO THE WINDOWS NOT RECOGNIZING THE LAPTOP DISPLAY AS PRIMARY DISPALY, IN...
  5. Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10: First of all I am not sure the problem is with Windows or NVidia or both, but this issue has been frustrating me for a while and I finally need to find a solution, or in the worst case - who to blame : My setup: PC with i9-9900 3.6GhZ processor, 64Gb RAM NVidia Geforce...
  6. Icons to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  7. Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...: I have a dual monitor setup and I use an application (ninjatrader) that includes multiple windows. If I position all the windows where I want them (i.e. so that they're all visible in the right places, non are overlapping etc.), but then power down the monitors at night so...
  8. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

No display on monitor when TV set as primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...
  9. TV primary display

TV primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...
  10. 1 monitor primary display and 4 monitor secondary display

1 monitor primary display and 4 monitor secondary display: Our church wants to setup a display composed of four 20" square monitor. This will be our secondary display. Computer specs at the moment: CPU: Intel i3-3210 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210 RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz MB: ASUS P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0 OS: Windows 10 Pro x64...