Windows 10: Dual monitors - My windows are resized and moved to my main monitor whenever I wake my PC

Discus and support Dual monitors - My windows are resized and moved to my main monitor whenever I wake my PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Whenever my PC wakes from sleep, all the windows and apps I have open on my secondary monitor are moved to my main display. I have noticed that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CameronSung, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Dual monitors - My windows are resized and moved to my main monitor whenever I wake my PC

Whenever my PC wakes from sleep, all the windows and apps I have open on my secondary monitor are moved to my main display. I have noticed that my second monitor wakes up a few seconds before my main monitor, which could potentially be what is causing the issue both are connected via DisplayPort. This is incredibly frustrating because that means instead of resuming where I left off, I have to manually drag every window back to its intended location, which is extremely disruptive. Does anyone have a fix for this? Yes, I already have the latest AMD graphics drivers and Windows version.

:)

CameronSung, Apr 6, 2020

2. Setting up dual monitor on PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to connecting external monitor to the PC.

Usually, you will receive an error when connecting external monitor when the cable is not connected properly. I would suggest you to follow the suggestions mentioned in the article

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Additionally, you may want to refer the below articles

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Repositioning app window on dual monitor, Windows 10

Hi Dreed,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

1. Launch Skype.
    2. Drag the Skype Window to secondary monitor.
    3. Resize the window as per your preference.
    4. Maximize the Window and Restore Down.
    5. Then close the skype window in secondary monitor.
    6. Then try re-launching and check if the issue resolves.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Apr 6, 2020
  4. 1Kurgan1 Win User

Dual monitors - My windows are resized and moved to my main monitor whenever I wake my PC

W10 Moving Windows to Monitor 1 After Waking.

I run a two monitor setup, got a 1920x1080 main screen and had a 4:3 1280x1024 second monitor for a long time. But finally upgraded my second monitor last week to a 24" 1920x1080 Samsung LED. Scored it for $30, and super happy with it except one thing.

I use my main monitor for gaming. The second monitor holds my Steam Friends List and Steam Chat Windows. As well as Twitch App or Discord. The problem I'm having is since changing the monitor, when I wake the computer back up it moves all windows back to my main monitor. I don't ever let me HDDs sleep, just my screens turn off after a bit. Before the monitor swap it worked fine, nothing moved. After that just the windows move. I didn't change anything else, and icons still stay on screen 2.

But it's frustrating moving those windows back to monitor two every single time I wake the screens. I tried updating video drivers, but it doesn't fix it.

It works fine and remembers when not sleeping. I can move them over, then close the windows and fire them back up and they start on screen two. But once the monitors turn off, back to square one. Any ideas here?

Well, it seems to be some issue with how Display Port works. My 4:3 was running off my DP with a VGA converter. I figured the 1080p would be no different, was using a DP to HDMI adapter. But I guess DP turns off the signal and doesn't know what to do with the windows or something and moves them over the the HDMI monitor (since they must handle sleep differently). Using a DVI to HDMI adapter instead fixed it.

1Kurgan1, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Dual monitors - My windows are resized and moved to my main monitor whenever I wake my PC

1. Dual monitors - My windows are resized and moved to my main monitor whenever I wake my PC - Similar Threads - Dual monitors are

2. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  3. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  4. Apps resized on main monitor when exiting Fullscreen mode Dual monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps resized on main monitor when exiting Fullscreen mode Dual monitors: Hello fellas,I need your help because i have a really annoying problem !I recently bought a new 4K monitor Samsung Odyssey G70A in addition to my AOC FULL-HD monitor. Every time that i'm ALT-TAB or press Windows key to go back on my desktop in my Full-screen game, all apps...
  5. Apps resized on main monitor when exiting Fullscreen mode Dual monitors

Apps resized on main monitor when exiting Fullscreen mode Dual monitors: Hello fellas,I need your help because i have a really annoying problem !I recently bought a new 4K monitor Samsung Odyssey G70A in addition to my AOC FULL-HD monitor. Every time that i'm ALT-TAB or press Windows key to go back on my desktop in my Full-screen game, all apps...
  6. How to turn of my second monitor without everything moving to the main monitor ?

How to turn of my second monitor without everything moving to the main monitor ?: HiI would like to be able to turn of one or both my monitors, without having to reorganise everything when I turn them back on again, as it is now, when I turn off my second monitor everything positioned on that monitor moves to the main monitor, is there a way to turn this...
  7. Dual Monitor Slows My PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitor Slows My PC: Since October 2021 my PC performance slows down when I use dual monitor my PC performance becomes slow then I plugged off my second monitor and never use dual monitor again from my pc but as the time goes by... My PC performance becomes worse. My pc is really slow when I turn...
  8. Dual Monitor Slows My PC

Dual Monitor Slows My PC: Since October 2021 my PC performance slows down when I use dual monitor my PC performance becomes slow then I plugged off my second monitor and never use dual monitor again from my pc but as the time goes by... My PC performance becomes worse. My pc is really slow when I turn...
  9. Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor won't wake up

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor won't wake up: I've got a dual monitor system - Intel I5, Nvidia Geforce GTX960... Anyways, for some reason, here and there when I sit in front of my machine in the morning and wiggle my mouse, my main monitor does not come back to life. I should mention, that the main monitor on this...
  10. Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor sometimes won't wake up??

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor sometimes won't wake up??: I've got a dual monitor system - Intel I5, Nvidia Geforce GTX960... Anyways, for some reason, here and there when I sit in front of my machine in the morning and wiggle my mouse, my main monitor does not come back to life. I should mention, that the main monitor on this...