Windows 10: Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

Discus and support Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Dual monitors are set up in the control panel - display - screen resolution as Monitor 1 on the Left and Monitor 2 on the Right. The mouse moves... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Obwan, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Obwan Win User

Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

Dual monitors are set up in the control panel - display - screen resolution as Monitor 1 on the Left and Monitor 2 on the Right. The mouse moves between the monitors normally, stopping at the far right on monitor 2 and far left on Monitor 1. It all looks good.
    Randomly during the day the mouse changes direction and starts moving between monitors in the opposite directions.
    Any ideas what would cause this? Is it a combination of short cut keys?

:)

Obwan, Sep 26, 2016
  2. kenjpet Win User

Both monitors work but cant drag to second one.

I recently reset my windows 10 system. I have dual monitors. I now have to drag objects to the right to get to my monitor on the left. I saw some other posts about swapping the cables which I can't because one is HDMI and the other is VGA. Is there an easier
    way? I could swap the monitors but don't use the one on the left which is the VGA often and prefer the HDMI monitor in front of me, which I do use always, instead of at the side. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

kenjpet, Sep 26, 2016
  3. Dual monitor in Windows 10

The cursor glitches problem mentioned in another post is exacerbated with dual monitors. The cursor randomly jumps from one monitor to another making the second monitor unusable.

RobMacmillan, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

Shouldn't be shortcut keys, but..........

When you say the mouse changes direction, do you mean it actually moves in the opposite direction of what you are moving the mouse or do you mean it moves between monitors the opposite of what you want?

Anyway, what is your graphics card? In NVidia you can change the monitor orientation by dragging one screen to the right or left of the other and then setting the one as default. If you haven't explicitly done this in the card's software, I would try resetting it there first.

OldGuyGeek, Sep 27, 2016
  5. Obwan Win User
    Sorry, the mouse moves between monitors the opposite of what we have set. We have set the monitor orientation by dragging screens. At any point during the day the mouse just changes direction. Our short term solution is to reset the monitors or just pick the monitors up and manually swap them around. We can do this 3 or 4 times in a day. It just changes on it's own.

Obwan, Sep 27, 2016
  6. So the monitor position switches from 1 - 2 to 2 - 1 all on its own? How are these monitors connected, video card wise?

alphanumeric, Sep 27, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Have you checked the cables to make sure theyre secure?

swarfega, Sep 27, 2016
  8. Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

I doubt that it is a software issue, but if it could be that the video driver fails and then 'recovers'. However you would get an on-screen message for that. You might want to do a 'clean install' of your driver so that it installs a completely fresh version.

But I'm suspecting that the video card loses the physical connection to one of the monitors for a second or two and defaults back to 1 monitor. Then immediately detects the other one and brings it up but in the natural order that they are connected. This is probably caused by a hardware issue rather than a software one.

• Are you used the screws on the cables or are you just inserting them? One monitor might be a little finicky about connections. On the other hand, if it is a cable issue and if you have spare cables, maybe try completely different cables first. At least that would eliminate one possible cause.
    • Your video card could be overheating on one of the connections and resets itself. If your video card has more than 2 connections, try different connections, although the card may still have the problem no matter which output you use.
    • Your monitors probably have more than one type of connector. Try using different type of cables or use adapters to use a different connection on each of the monitors.
    If you do these tests one cable or monitor at a time, you can find out which was your problem. If you swap out both cables or change both connections at the same time, you may fix it but never know what caused the problem. If you don't care, then toss both of the old cables. If it's a monitor's connection. you'll be wondering next time you need to reconfigure if the monitor's connector is good or not.

In any case, good luck.

OldGuyGeek, Sep 27, 2016
  9. Obwan Win User
    One monitor suddenly started flashing. Before rebooting I swapped the monitor out but the replacement monitor continue to flash. I then rebooted and it seems to have settled. One is connected via VGA and the 2nd DVI. I had previously tried swapping the 2 cables between monitors.
    Thank you for your ideas. I will see if if settles today. If the problem returns I will replace the PC - it's doing the users head in.

Obwan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

1. Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides - Similar Threads - Dual Monitors Randomly

2. How to swap an old HDmonitor with a new 4K monitor in a dual monitor setup and apply same...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to swap an old HDmonitor with a new 4K monitor in a dual monitor setup and apply same...: Hi In a dual monitor setup, I have recently changed from having one 4k monitor and one regular HD monitor to having two 4k monitors. However, in my display settings, the new monitor shows as if it is the old HD monitor in terms of resolution, and I cannot change to a 4k...
  3. Screen interface glitching when dual monitor on specific side?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen interface glitching when dual monitor on specific side?: I use a dual monitor for my work with my laptop on the left and monitor on the right. I configured the screen settings to replicate this, but using a software I commonly use at work is presenting some issues. When I align the screens in the settings in their correct...
  4. Screen interface glitching when dual monitor on specific side?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen interface glitching when dual monitor on specific side?: I use a dual monitor for my work with my laptop on the left and monitor on the right. I configured the screen settings to replicate this, but using a software I commonly use at work is presenting some issues. When I align the screens in the settings in their correct...
  5. Random black screen on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screen on dual monitors: I’m having a issue with my gaming pc that sometimes it randomly gives me a black screen for one or both of my monitors and I’m trying to figure out how to fix it...
  6. Random black screen on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random black screen on dual monitors: I’m having a issue with my gaming pc that sometimes it randomly gives me a black screen for one or both of my monitors and I’m trying to figure out how to fix it...
  7. Dual monitor taskbars keep swapping?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor taskbars keep swapping?: Hey all, I've recently picked up a second monitor. I was able to pretty easily figure out how to unlock the taskbar at the bottom and move it to the rightmost screen's bottom right corner (as opposed to the left, where it was sitting), and relock them. However, every once...
  8. Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side: A couple weeks ago I upgraded my computer to a newer mother board and processor. Everything is alright unless by the fact that Ten seems not decide where to keep my desktop icons. One time all my icons -- including the trashcan -- are at the left monitor (that would be...
  9. Disable Delay side snap for Dual Monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable Delay side snap for Dual Monitor: Hello, How do I disable the Snap setting for when I move my window from one monitor to the other? All the answers I found for this are now outdated. Thanks!...
  10. Recently Dual monitors are swapped

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recently Dual monitors are swapped: Hello, Recently, dual montiors are swapped in Windows 10 Creators edition. In Settings - Displays 1 and 2 are placed Left and Right. When Detect is selected the positions are Right and Left or 2 and 1. Desktop is on Display 2, instead of Display 1. Samsung has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. swapping display sides

2. change default montitor for dual monitors