Windows 10: Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive

Discus and support Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey everyone, Hopefully you guys can help me out. I've just recently started having issues with the display of my second monitor, but have not been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CodyMsmn, Apr 11, 2019.

1. CodyMsmn Win User

Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive

Hey everyone,

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I've just recently started having issues with the display of my second monitor, but have not been able to find a fix as of yet. Basically, after awhile my second monitor will appear to freeze, though I can still drag my mouse over and see it moving around freely. As an example as to how everything is responsive while seemingly frozen on the screen, I could have a few tabs open in my browser on that monitor, yet when I try to switch between tabs, or even close the browser, nothing will appear to happen. If one of those tabs is YouTube, I can click on the video and I can still hear the music play or stop though nothing will visually change. This happens with any application on that display as well as the desktop and task bar.

Now for solutions, I've tried stuff such as reinstalling my GPU drivers, unplugging my monitors and plugging them back in, changing which monitor is the main display and restarting the computer. So far restarting the computer is the only solid and temporary fix as after awhile it will freeze up again. One thing to note is that when I made my second monitor my main display, everything now worked completely fine as though the monitor was never frozen to begin with, however the monitor that used to be my main display, and is now the second, would appear to be frozen instead.

TL;DR: Whichever monitor I change to be my main display works fine, but the secondary display appears to be frozen, though I can still click stuff such as YouTube videos and hear the audio, or open and close tabs/programs without it visually showing that I have done so.

Any help on solving this would be great!

:)

CodyMsmn, Apr 11, 2019

2. Dual Monitor setup, main display is unresponsive/frozen.

So I have just encountered a problem with my main monitor freezing. On the frozen monitor, I can move my mouse cursor and can see it moving onscreen, but I cannot interact with anything on that screen, no clicks work regardless of if I am interacting with
    the desktop or a window above that desktop. If I use the keyboard controls, however, I can move the windows around. If I do the click drag, I also can drag across to the frozen desktop, but only if I start the click drag on the working desktop.

I have restarted the computer, restarted explorer.exe, changed which monitor is the main display and it's always the main display that is frozen. If I make my secondary monitor the main display, that is the monitor that frozen.

Any help? Thanks.

Meeesh11011, Apr 11, 2019
  3. Unable to interact with the content on the secondary monitor

I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro.

Every night I put the computer to sleep. Occasionally, and more frequently the past week, I wake the computer in the morning to find very strange behavior:

• Whatever monitor is my main display works perfectly
    • Secondary monitors turn on and show the last content they had (any open browsers, programs, etc)
    • I can move my mouse into the secondary screens and see it moving around just fine
    • When I click or do any kind of interaction on those screen, the visuals do not update (again, mouse around moving is fine)
      • Click a window, the window focus never shows; scroll or press a button on a website, doesn't show any changes; click the Windows button, menu doesn't open
    • However, I can still interact with the screens despite not being able to see what I'm changing
      • Drag a window off the screen and it magically appears on the main display; press the 1-Click buy on an Amazon item, receive it 2-5 business days later
    • Changing the main display changes the screen I can interact with
    • Mucking with the resolution of the secondary monitors does not fix the issue but it does update their visuals
    • Display driver details:
      • Date: 2018-11-12
      • Version: 25.21.14.1694
    • I am in the process of downloading NVidia 2019 drivers to see if that helps

The only fix I've found so far (with my limited experience debugging display issues) is restarting the computer. Help!

***Modified title from: Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows***

sean.hudson, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive

Single monitor=no transparency in Start menu on dual monitor system

Hello, I can't find any information about this one so here it goes.

My Windows 10 is a dual monitor system and I don't get this problem when both monitors are enabled but when I game I disable the secondary display and then on the primary display the Start menu will lose transparency. It makes me sad. Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive :(

I have installed color profiles for both displays and set them as primary profile for each one. I have also calibrated the color of both displays.

Primary display is AOC 2460 connected with DVI-D

Secondary display is Acer G246HL Connected with HDMI

Graphics card is Nvidia Gerforce 1050 TI 4GB and it has latest drivers

Operating system is Windows 10 Pro v. 1803 (OS-build 17.134.228)

Steps to reproduce:

• On dual monitor system disable secondary monitor
    • Open Start menu and transparency will be lost
    Additional information:

CPU overclocked with multiplier but was at Stock settings when OS was installed

GPU overclocked with Asus GPU Tweak II

snowman666, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive

1. Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive - Similar Threads - Dual Monitors Secondary

2. Dual Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Display: I am running dual monitors and when not active, one screen goes black while the other goes into screen saving mode. Is there a way to keep the one screen from going black?...
  3. Display for Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display for Dual Monitors: For work recently I set up 2 monitors and it presently works, but its a little iffy. While not in use after a few minutes the screen goes black, which isnt odd since it always does that and we are limited on things we can use like screen savers. However while its not in use...
  4. Dual Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor Display: I just recently got a PC and 2 monitors for my office. I have the PC and one monitor hooked together because there was only one HDMI plug. I ordered a dual HDMI splitter so that I could connect too both screens at the same time. However, I want the screens to be connected...
  5. Display on secondary monitor

Display on secondary monitor: My second monitor is going black one second after i connect it and i bought a new adapter and it still does the same thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-on-secondary-monitor/05501634-4ccf-4520-90f8-6975d9ad7e35
  6. dual monitor display

dual monitor display: Hi I recently added an additional monitor using a usb to display port adapter. I am not able to drag open windows to the second monitor. Any ideas would be appreciated....
  7. Dual Monitor not displaying

Dual Monitor not displaying: I hope I'm in the right area as I'm a bit frazzled right now and new to this site. Setting up a 2nd monitor on my Win10 PC - 1st Monitor is Samsung S27E310 connected to NVidia Quadro NVS 290 graphics card. 2nd is Samsung S270C230 plugged into USB via IOGEAR External VGA...
  8. Display Issue with error message: no signal detected on Secondary monitor, Dual monitor set...

Display Issue with error message: no signal detected on Secondary monitor, Dual monitor set...: As the title says, I'm having an issue where the second monitor in my set-up won't display in Windows. Configuration: Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth A170 Mark 1 CPU: Intel i5-6600K GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX590 running Radeon Adrenalin 19.2.2 Monitor 1:...
  9. Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows: I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro. Every night I put the computer to sleep. Occasionally, and more frequently the past week, I wake the computer in the morning to find very strange behavior: Whatever...
  10. Dual Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Display: Had dual monitors working. Do know what happened but know can only get 1 monitor at a time to work. Using a StarTechcom DVI-D to VGA Adapter Converter. When 2nd monitor is attached to adapter, adapter attached to pc tower, will not get any options nor will both displays show....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 second display frozen

2. monitor displays are frozen

3. frozen multiple displays