Windows 10: Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10

Discus and support Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; First of all I am not sure the problem is with Windows or NVidia or both, but this issue has been frustrating me for a while and I finally need to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sesamme, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Sesamme Win User

Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10

First of all I am not sure the problem is with Windows or NVidia or both, but this issue has been frustrating me for a while and I finally need to find a solution, or in the worst case - who to blame :

My setup:

PC with i9-9900 3.6GhZ processor, 64Gb RAM

NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Dell P2415Q display connected to a DisplayPort

Wacom Cintiq 22" display connected to the DVI port primary display

The problem is that every time I wake up Windows from sleep or restart everything resets to the primary display. It seems that when my Dell display goes to sleep, Windows thinks it is completely disconnected and that there is only one display left. I have tried to reinstall Nvidia drivers several times with different driver versions, tried to "remember windows position" with the Dell Display Manager, tried even to prevent computer form sleeping. Absolutely nothing helps.

I have read somewhere that it's possible to override the EDID signal somehow, but couldn't find how - at least not something simple enough for a user to do.

I also found that many people have this problem and most of them don't have a solution. But I am posting this here again because each hardware setup is different and some solutions that help one don't work on others...

:)

Sesamme, Oct 30, 2020

2. Double Monitor Setup is not connecting

Hi Yuri,

To setup dual monitors, I suggest you to press Windows + P keys
    and select Extend or the required option and check for status. If you are still unable to setup dual monitor, suggest you to update the Display Adapter driver by following the steps provided below and check for status.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Andre for Directly, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10

Taskbar displaying in an incorrect position when using scaling on a dual monitor setup

Hi Jav,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the display on dual monitor. Do not worry will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the make and model of your device?

This issue might have occurred due to display drivers. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the display drivers and check if the issue persists.

Steps to Update Graphics Driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Also, check if the issue persists on 100% screen resolution as well.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10

1. Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Dual monitors setup

2. Dual Monitor Setup Display Jittering While on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitor Setup Display Jittering While on Windows 10: So, I recently switched from MacOS to windows on my Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics Mac Pro 2013. Everything was fine and i installed it without Bootcamp because i don’t want to Dual Boot. I simply just plugged in a USB stick that had the Windows 10 installer on it, and booted...
  3. Dual Monitor Setup Display Jittering While on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitor Setup Display Jittering While on Windows 10: So, I recently switched from MacOS to windows on my Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics Mac Pro 2013. Everything was fine and i installed it without Bootcamp because i don’t want to Dual Boot. I simply just plugged in a USB stick that had the Windows 10 installer on it, and booted...
  4. Dual Monitor Setup Display Jittering While on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Dual monitor setup keeps resetting to "duplicate" after every startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor setup keeps resetting to "duplicate" after every startup.: At first, when the dual monitors would duplicate, if I did a shutdown & restart, it would be "fixed.". Then, I had to start doing 1 or 2 more shutdowns/reboots & it would work. Now, it happens with every startup & doing a shutdown/reboot doesn't even work. I have tried...
  6. Dual monitor setup keeps resetting to "duplicate" after every startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor setup keeps resetting to "duplicate" after every startup.: At first, when the dual monitors would duplicate, if I did a shutdown & restart, it would be "fixed.". Then, I had to start doing 1 or 2 more shutdowns/reboots & it would work. Now, it happens with every startup & doing a shutdown/reboot doesn't even work. I have tried...
  7. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  8. Dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual monitor setup: I am trying to set up two different screens, but the settings aren't detecting the other monitor. I am using a hp dms 59 to dual vga y split cable adapter, and it doesnt seem to work....
  9. Dual Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor Setup: I am trying to connect (2) ACER X183h monitors to my computer (Windows 10). The ACER monitors are VGA connected to a dual VGA --> HDMI adapter. The HDMI is plugged into the HDMI port. The computer does not have a VGA port. I've tried to hit the "detect" button on a second...
  10. Dual Monitor Setup?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Setup?: I have a dell xps 9550 laptop that i connect to an external monitor as my primary monitor. Its syncmaster t240 hd and its 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an old asus 24' monitor that a while back no longer worked... it stopped working and i brought it to a few repair...