Windows 10: Dual monitors setup resets windows positions to main display and desktop when I log off,...

Discus and support Dual monitors setup resets windows positions to main display and desktop when I log off,... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Let me explain the issue i am facing in detail first: I have a dual screen setup that I use regularly with my laptop (laptop display and external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Darkranger919, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Dual monitors setup resets windows positions to main display and desktop when I log off,...

Let me explain the issue i am facing in detail first:

I have a dual screen setup that I use regularly with my laptop (laptop display and external monitor) and I am avid user of the windows desktop feature (I have 4-5 desktops active at a time). Due to this use-case, my issue is very annoying.

There has been an issue that has spontaneously appeared a few months ago that I have been trying to solve but never resolves no matter what I do. Every time my computer goes to sleep naturally, the windows on all desktops rearrange and go back to the display I've set as my main display (my external monitor). Furthermore, all windows of a certain app spread across the different desktops (I use multiple instances of chrome and adobe reader) automatically snap to whatever desktop was open at the time (all other windows of different programs were unaffected). Due to my use case, this issue is extremely annoying as I have to reset my windows and desktops every time I log on, or whenever I get up and take a break.

The issue started a few months ago, I don't recall how exactly. One day, I noticed that the windows stopped automatically setting to their original screen when I woke my computer from sleep. Then, I started using one screen for a period of time (I was only gaming and wanted to use my external monitor to cut down on distractions) and ever since then, the problems above started appearing in full force. I tested a few things out. I found out that the windows also stopped returning to their original position if I am to disconnect my monitor and reconnect it, while it was working fine before.

So I've done a bit of research on the issue and tried the following things:

Resetting display adapters had no effect; they're always up to date as I prefer to be on top of updates. I haven't tried resetting them, and I'd rather not.

I dug a bit around in the windows registry, as per a the instructions from an individual from a thread on a similar issue. The registry address they gave listed the names and registry info of all the display configs the my computer has used up till now. I didn't recognise the names of some monitors that my computer had apparently connected to, but I did notice that there were duplicate entries for my current setup. Somehow, a triple monitor setup was also listed, which may be from when I experimented with wireless displays with another windows laptop I had.

One thread also told me to delete old, placeholder "displays" from the device manager control panel. These are the greyed-out monitors in the monitor section of the device manager when hidden devices can be viewed. Nothing.

I ran scans to test the integrity of the system and fix errors. Nothing came back from the scan. Did an antivirus scan just in case too; again nothing!

I've read several other windows support threads on the same issue (I would list them here, but unfortunately I do not recall their links). Apparently, this issue has persisted ever since windows 7! I couldn't find any active discussions in the near past, so I decided to reopen the issue. Furthermore, my findings are sort of unique as I haven't read anyone complain of windows of one app resetting to one desktop in multiple desktop mode before. I hope these help in finding the exact issue causing this. Anyone with more expertise have any ideas?

:)

Darkranger919, Mar 7, 2019

2. Taskbar displaying in an incorrect position when using scaling on a dual monitor setup

Hi Jav,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the display on dual monitor. Do not worry will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the make and model of your device?

This issue might have occurred due to display drivers. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the display drivers and check if the issue persists.

Steps to Update Graphics Driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Also, check if the issue persists on 100% screen resolution as well.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Double Monitor Setup is not connecting

Hi Yuri,

To setup dual monitors, I suggest you to press Windows + P keys
    and select Extend or the required option and check for status. If you are still unable to setup dual monitor, suggest you to update the Display Adapter driver by following the steps provided below and check for status.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Dual monitors setup resets windows positions to main display and desktop when I log off,...

Andre for Directly, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Dual monitors setup resets windows positions to main display and desktop when I log off,...

1. Dual monitors setup resets windows positions to main display and desktop when I log off,... - Similar Threads - Dual monitors setup

2. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  3. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  4. Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.: I have a dual monitor setup with Windows 10 x64 Enterprise latest updates/build. One monitor, set as my main, is a C1 OLED TV, though I'm not sure this makes any difference. Anyway, if I click the start/windows icon on my secondary monitor the taskbar on my main monitor...
  5. Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.: I have a dual monitor setup with Windows 10 x64 Enterprise latest updates/build. One monitor, set as my main, is a C1 OLED TV, though I'm not sure this makes any difference. Anyway, if I click the start/windows icon on my secondary monitor the taskbar on my main monitor...
  6. Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual monitors setup keeps resetting everything to the primary display on Windows 10: First of all I am not sure the problem is with Windows or NVidia or both, but this issue has been frustrating me for a while and I finally need to find a solution, or in the worst case - who to blame : My setup: PC with i9-9900 3.6GhZ processor, 64Gb RAM NVidia Geforce...
  8. Dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual monitor setup: I am trying to set up two different screens, but the settings aren't detecting the other monitor. I am using a hp dms 59 to dual vga y split cable adapter, and it doesnt seem to work....
  9. Dual Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor Setup: I am trying to connect (2) ACER X183h monitors to my computer (Windows 10). The ACER monitors are VGA connected to a dual VGA --> HDMI adapter. The HDMI is plugged into the HDMI port. The computer does not have a VGA port. I've tried to hit the "detect" button on a second...
  10. Dual Monitor Setup?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Setup?: I have a dell xps 9550 laptop that i connect to an external monitor as my primary monitor. Its syncmaster t240 hd and its 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an old asus 24' monitor that a while back no longer worked... it stopped working and i brought it to a few repair...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows resets main display