Windows 10: Dual Op Systems on separate drives

Discus and support Dual Op Systems on separate drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, So I'm new to the whole computer game and a little naive when it comes to it. I recently installed a new SSD to replace my old one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ItsNinjaGecko, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Dual Op Systems on separate drives

Hello everyone,

So I'm new to the whole computer game and a little naive when it comes to it. I recently installed a new SSD to replace my old one and in doing so my pc recognized my two SSD's but no longer can find my HDD. After giving up on that problem, I had a great idea to copy windows 10 into my new SSD which I regretted almost instantly. Now I have no visible way to remove the operating system from my new SSD but keep it on my old one. is there a way to remove the OP system from my new SSD will that drive now always have that on it? As you can see in the screenshots below it recognizes I have two drives but both have the op systems installed on them as well if I allocate the remaining of the space on the new drive it still won't show in my file explorer. I need help I royally messed up. Would resetting my PC completely just be the best option? As well, why is my HDD not showing up after I installed the new SSD?

Dual Op Systems on separate drives 4f86567c-b44e-47e3-be76-c94483d05799?upload=true.png

:)

ItsNinjaGecko, Mar 15, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Mar 15, 2020
  3. Avocado Win User
    EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

You can use the "bcdedit /export" command to create a backup file of the current system store contents.

bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak

You can then use the "bcdedit /import" command if you want to restore the state of the system store.

bcdedit /import c:\bcd.bak

How to use BCDBoot to add or repair the boot menu on a dual-boot PC (works on both GPT and MBR disks)

If you've installed more than one copy of Windows on a PC, you can use BCDBoot to add or repair the boot menu.

For example: How to add Windows 7 entry to the boot menu.

On the Windows 10 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following commands.

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 7 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 7 partition)

Now you should see the Windows 7 and Windows 10 entries on the dual-boot screen.

Dual Op Systems on separate drives [​IMG]

Windows 7 style dual-boot screen (see screenshot below).

Windows 10 style dual-boot screen (see screenshot below).

How to restore the Windows 7 style dual-boot screen

On the Windows 7 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following command.

bcdboot %windir%

How to restore the Windows 10 style dual-boot screen

On the Windows 10 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following command.

bcdboot %windir%

How to fix the Windows 10 bootloader

Look at post #24 in this thread: How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd

Avocado, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Dual Op Systems on separate drives

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

Dual Op Systems on separate drives

1. Dual Op Systems on separate drives - Similar Threads - Dual Systems separate

2. Windows 8.1 op THE WORSE OP SYSTEM EVER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8.1 op THE WORSE OP SYSTEM EVER: I NEED TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 OR DOWNGRADE TO WINDOWS 7. ANYTING BUT THIS ITS AWUL. I TRIED TO UPGRADE BUT HAVING PROBLEMS. THIS PC LAPTOP WAS PURCHASED , UNABLE TO USE PUT BACK IN THE BOX.. THE WINDOWS OPS 8 OR 8.1 IS USELESS. I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE TO WIN 10 IF FOR...
  3. Windows 8.1 op THE WORSE OP SYSTEM EVER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8.1 op THE WORSE OP SYSTEM EVER: I NEED TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 OR DOWNGRADE TO WINDOWS 7. ANYTING BUT THIS ITS AWUL. I TRIED TO UPGRADE BUT HAVING PROBLEMS. THIS PC LAPTOP WAS PURCHASED , UNABLE TO USE PUT BACK IN THE BOX.. THE WINDOWS OPS 8 OR 8.1 IS USELESS. I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE TO WIN 10 IF FOR...
  4. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  5. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  6. New Dual Drive System

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Dual Drive System: Hi. I just bought a new system with a 512G Boot Drive and a 1T HDD. This is the first time I've had a dual drive so I've never paid much attention to what's going where. Is the 512G SSD just big enough for Windows stuff, or does that leave enough room to add other things? If...
  7. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives: Hello and thanks for having me on the forum. Not too tech savvy and have a question. Windows 7 user on PC DELL 8700 XPS. I added another drive and and installed W10. All working well. I would like to set up dual boot. I can do it now by hitting F12 and choosing my OS....
  8. W10 OP SYSTEM OPINION

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 OP SYSTEM OPINION: W10 SETTINGS. It’s a MAZE, not as in awe, but a large tall complex hedge puzzle that I don’t have time for. I’ve read blogs etc on the Internet about users opinions of W10. And I find I echo their thoughts. Like others I’ve read, my view is that I seem to have 2 options; I...
  9. Dual monitor separate wallpapers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual monitor separate wallpapers: I am trying to get different wallpapers on both of my monitors however when i right click the images in settings 3 options come up, one saying set for all monitors, and the other two say set for monitor 2, there is no set for monitor 1 option in the list....
  10. Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and...: I have 2 physical drives drive 1 and drive 2. My drive 1 already has a Windows 10 RS5/19H1 installed, and I want to install a Windows 10RS5 on my drive 2. on Driver 1, I can see for partitions: - Ssytem - Recovery - MSR - Primary I first tried to boot from a USB stick...