Windows 10: Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side

Discus and support Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; A couple weeks ago I upgraded my computer to a newer mother board and processor. Everything is alright unless by the fact that Ten seems not decide... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by YanKleber, Jan 26, 2021.

1. YanKleber Win User

Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side

A couple weeks ago I upgraded my computer to a newer mother board and processor.
    Everything is alright unless by the fact that Ten seems not decide where to keep my desktop icons.

One time all my icons -- including the trashcan -- are at the left monitor (that would be expected) and the spare files I keep in my desktop are in the right monitor as I have organized it. So the next time I restart Windows (cold or hot boot) I found stuff swapped. The search box in the taskbar seems to stay always in the right monitor though. Today things woke up in my right monitor (last night when I powered my PC down they were in the left side). This is so annoying.

The puzzling part is that the apps will start where it supposed to. For instances, if I opened Chrome for the last time in left monitor it will still reopen there and so on. Also regardless the side where "main screen" wakes the mouse moves correctly from one monitor to the other.

I use Intel Graphics Comman Center. Either in IGCC as well in Windows Display the monitors are arranged as [2][1]. I already tried to use it inverted [1][2] (and in this case I have to invert the monitors physically) but the problem remains.

I wouldn't mind to reorganize my icons to match my preferences (in fact I already did it several times) but Windows keep changing it almost every new boot. Also I can just reboot to "shake" Windows until things return to proper place but this is ridiculous.

Any idea?

:)

YanKleber, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Chris GWL Win User

Windows 10 Desktop Icons Swapping Screens

I'm having issues with some of my users icons swapping from one screen to another when the log on to a different computer on our network.

We are running dual screens for all users, they have desktop icons and shortcuts that they have specifically on the right or the left screens. When those users then access a different PC (they cover our reception desk when they are on lunch) that has a
    the opposite screen as the primary display, its swaps the icons from that users configuration on their regular computer from each screen (Icons on the right screen are now on the left and visa versa). When they return to their regular computer the icons remain
    revered and we have the move them back in place manually.

Thoughts?

Chris GWL, Jan 26, 2021
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side

Icons swapping

Hi SamnWS,

A corrupted icon cache is possibly causing the issue. To help you resolve the issue, I advise resetting the icon cache of your Windows 10 system using an elevated
    Command Prompt. Make sure that you're signed in as the administrator before performing the steps below. Also, please take note that you may need to change the icons again of your personal shortcuts.

1. Close all running programs on your desktop.
    2. Click the Start button and then type Command
      Prompt.
    3. Right-click Command Prompt and then choose
      Run as administrator
    4. If prompted, select Yes or enter the administrator password.
    5. Type or copy/paste the command below to navigate to the icon cache location and then press
      Enter.
      • cd %homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    6. Type the command below and then hit Enter.
      • taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
        • This command will terminate the File Explorer process. Your desktop background and taskbar will disappear. This is only temporarily. We need to close the
          File Explorer process in order to delete the icon cache files.
    7. Type del iconcache* and then press Enter.
    8. Type explorer.exe and then hit Enter.
      • This will relaunch the File Explorer process.
    9. Close Command Prompt and then restart your PC.

Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side bb6defbb-08e0-4cd2-81e2-6c4f04c23693?upload=true.jpg

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Devlin Sco, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side

1. Dual screen keep swapping icons from side to side - Similar Threads - Dual screen keep

2. Side by SIde error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Side by SIde error: Hi, I am getting side by side error while running any program on windows 10. error is "Application has failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect. Event log is showing below detailsActivation context generation failed for "System Default Context"....
  3. Side by SIde error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Side by SIde error: Hi, I am getting side by side error while running any program on windows 10. error is "Application has failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect. Event log is showing below detailsActivation context generation failed for "System Default Context"....
  4. Snapped side by side windows load away from side of screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Snapped side by side windows load away from side of screen: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GorrakSmashSkull [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tq8pyd/snapped_side_by_side_windows_load_away_from_side/
  5. side by side configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    side by side configuration: the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/side-by-side-configuration/375110d8-05d1-4c69-8ecc-087f88676162
  6. how to keep the screen on the right side

in Windows 10 Support
    how to keep the screen on the right side: i asked this yesterday but maybe not very good so here it is again. i have win10 using a hp probook 6465b laptop. ver 21h1 build 19043.1052 this never happened until about a week ago. but this is the issue. i have my browser screen set to about 2/3 and all the way to the...
  7. Enable dual side printing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable dual side printing: How to enable auto double sided printing to save time. I know how to do it manually but I'm curious if it's capable of automating printing as I have a new printer with all new specification. HP LaserJet Pro M1136. Please note that it's connected through the wifi....
  8. Side by Side screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Side by Side screen: I am trying to have two screens open at the same time and can't seem to do it. Do all apps allow this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/side-by-side-screen/9a4fc7a4-6fb2-4247-bba4-b55259499fdc
  9. Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides: Dual monitors are set up in the control panel - display - screen resolution as Monitor 1 on the Left and Monitor 2 on the Right. The mouse moves between the monitors normally, stopping at the far right on monitor 2 and far left on Monitor 1. It all looks good. Randomly...
  10. Show windows side by side from taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Show windows side by side from taskbar: Win 10 show windows side by side shows them stacked instead of side by side Any suggestions to fix this 22575