Windows 10: Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings

Discus and support Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I just got myself a Lenovo Legion gaming laptop , I am costumed to Lenovo adopting Hybrid HDDs where there is an on board SSD that automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings

So I just got myself a Lenovo Legion gaming laptop , I am costumed to Lenovo adopting Hybrid HDDs where there is an on board SSD that automatically stores a copy of fast accessed files so to deliver them fast enough . This was sort of Brainless , however in this new setups they gave out a pure 1 TB HDD and a 256 GB SSD replacing the good old optical drive .

Now researching the internet its posted all over that SSDrives have limited write cycles and are not advised to keep files that are constantly rewritten which would ruin the device fast enough (Windows come to mind...) . So my question is , what is more optimal , to use the SSD disk to hold the windows installation for faster performance or should i keep it for games and graphical intensive programs that usually load up huge amount of data in memory for faster loading / less lag or there are better setup yet ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 27, 2017

2. Storage

I have a laptop with an SSD and a HDD in one, and it has been primarily using the SSD. However the SSD had a small limited amount of space and now it has been used up. I am trying to update a game, but it won't let me due to insufficient storage. Is
    there a way to transfer all of the info from my SSD to my HDD and use the HDD as a primary, and only have the SSD run games? If not, do you recommend any other solutions?

John Collinge, Sep 27, 2017
  3. Windows 10 installation problems

• 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6600k @ 3.50GHz
    • Memory: 16GB DDR4 Dual-Channel
    • GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX980ti SC
    • Storage: Samsung SSD 840 - 120GB
    • Storage: Seagate HDD - 2TB storage
    • Motherboard - MSI Z170A Gaming M5

EoghanHass, Sep 27, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings

Use it as the primary and the HDD as a storage drive. Most of, if not all SSD have a shelf life of 1 to 1.5 million hours or longer. Known as MTFB (mean time between failure) and for an example the Samsung 850 Evo has a 2 million MTFB. So there is nothing to worry about.

Plankton, Sep 27, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    You need not worry about the write cycles on modern SSDs, the number is so vast that you're more likely to get new hardware before you ever get near their number. What length is the warrantee on the SSD?

You won't get many games on that 256Gb SSD, I would use the SSD for the OS and the HD for games.

swarfega, Sep 27, 2017
  6. Clintlgm Win User
    Not sure what brand SSD you have but most are warranty for 3 to 5 years, my 2.5 SATA Samsung 850 Pro is warranted for 10 years, the EVO's are warranted for 5 years, the newer M.2 PCIe NVME SSD are warranted for 3 years for EVO's and 5 years for PRO's.
    What you have read about SSD was true a few years back not so much any more the technology has improved enough that most new notebooks are coming with them from the factory. They are excellent for notebooks since they have no moving parts. I personally have only SSD's in my notebook, 1 960 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe for my OS, and a 1 TB 850 Pro SATA, I have been using this SSD for Storage in my old G75VW for several years and have carried it over to my new G752VW. Enjoy your new speed and reliability confindently

Clintlgm, Sep 27, 2017
  7. Cool knowing that SSDs became so reliable , someone needs to update the internet though *Biggrin . knowing this i might consider replacing the 1 TB HDD to another that is SSD , "Crucial" 1 TB SSD SATA sells so cheap in here and just checked its MTFB (thanks) and its 1,000,000 hours =) woohoo.

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 27, 2017
  8. Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings

Some additional thoughts for the OP. I am not a gamer (Sofware developer), but my understanding is games like to keep as much data in Real memory vs external storage for performance reasons. With that thought in mind, I would think that more on board memory (32gb +) would be much beneficial than even a large SSD.

storageman, Sep 27, 2017
  9. Clintlgm Win User
    I would check there support forum to see if they are having any issues you need to know about. I only know about Samsung and Intel, Both brand are top of the line with no issues that I know about.

Clintlgm, Sep 27, 2017
  10. dencal Win User
    Crucial are noted for their reliability....I personally bought one, my first SSD, it must be 10 years ago and its still in use.
    Also have Samsung 850 Pros....difficult to tell the difference performance wise without doing a CrystalDiskMark.

dencal, Sep 27, 2017
  11. Flashorn Win User
    One more thought on trying to upgrade the HDDs on your New notebook.

Verify that the manufacturer will indeed let you tinker with it Before the warranty expires.

My new MSI GT73VR Pro has a two year warranty But, MSI has strictly mentioned that if the back is opened Before the
    their warranty time is over, the warranty is void.

So, with that in mind, make absolutely sure you can change the HDDs without voiding the warranty.
    Would be a shame to find out after you have tinkered with it.

Also, I have had two Crucial SSDs {flagship} fail on me in the last 4 years.
    Went with a Intel SSD in my workstation {My Computer} and it's still going strong with at least
    10.000 Hrs on it and this is a conservative estimate.

Flashorn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings

1. Dual Storage Gaming Laptops HDD+SSD Optimal Settings - Similar Threads - Dual Storage Gaming

2. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  3. optimize ssd or not

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    optimize ssd or not: Hi, I'm reading all kind of things about obtimizing my ssd or not using Windows "Defragment and Optimize Drives". Apparently there is or was a bug with Windows wrongly degramenting the ssd. What should I do now ? Keep "Scheduled optimization" turned off for my ssds ? Or...
  4. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I know this has been beaten to death. The answer seems to depend upon the person answering. I cannot figure out whether I should turn windows on or off and if on, for what frequency a month or a week. Thee is a lot of Google gossip that all SSDs should not be optimized then...
  5. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  6. Storage pool with hdd and ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage pool with hdd and ssd: Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there...
  7. Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage: I bought a new laptop that has an HDD and an SSD, the laptop has no Windows pre installed (it's free DOS) and I want to install Windows 10 on it. My question is, how to install the windows on the SSD and not the HDD? I mean, on the screen that shows "where do you want to...
  8. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  9. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  10. Optimize SSD

Optimize SSD: Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions? [img] 66691

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to know if an hdd i optimal for a laptop