Windows 10: Dual Wireless router priority setting

Discus and support Dual Wireless router priority setting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a network were there are two wireless routers being used to extend the range of the wireless network (both using the same SSID but on different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sean Smith IT, May 10, 2019.

1. Dual Wireless router priority setting

I have a network were there are two wireless routers being used to extend the range of the wireless network (both using the same SSID but on different wireless bands - 3 and 8).

Most of the computers on the network are laptops and need to change which router they are using depending on which room they are in (strongest signal wins of course).

We do have one desktop PC though which can't be wired in (it's nowhere near a network point) and has a wireless card strong enough to pick up both wireless routers and for some weird reason it does, occasionally, connect to the weaker wireless network (possibly if the stronger one has had a signal fluctuation when the computer was booting). The only way to get the computer back on the right connection is to disconnect it from the wireless and then reconnect (sometimes repeatedly).

I would like to tie this machine to the stronger network (band 8), preferably without removing the option to connect to the weaker network (in case the stronger one is down). Basically I would like to set a preferred wireless network band.

Can this be done and if not is there a simple way to tie the machine to a specific wireless router?

:)

Sean Smith IT, May 10, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Hello Denis, Dual Wireless router priority setting :)

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, May 10, 2019
  3. Darren Win User
    Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, May 10, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Dual Wireless router priority setting

wireless conection to router

Hi,

To better assist you, we would like to know the following information:

• Are you able to see the router's name in the wireless networks list?
    • Are you able to connect to the router but unable to connect to the Internet?
    • Do you receive any error message when connecting to the router? If yes, what is the exact error message that you receive?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems. Kindly follow the steps below:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If the issue persists, kindly try the troubleshooting steps on the following link:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

We recommend that you try the steps on the Update the network adapter driver,
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands,
    Temporarily turn off firewalls
    and Use network reset to reinstall network devices sections.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, May 10, 2019
Thema:

Dual Wireless router priority setting

1. Dual Wireless router priority setting - Similar Threads - Dual Wireless router

2. Setting Battery Priority

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting Battery Priority: Hello to all,I have a laptop that have an unsual set up: it have 2 batteries. One fixed and one removable. I would like Windows to use the removable battery first, then the fixed battery. This way, I can have the fixed battery powering the laptop while I swap the removable...
  3. Setting Battery Priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Battery Priority: Hello to all,I have a laptop that have an unsual set up: it have 2 batteries. One fixed and one removable. I would like Windows to use the removable battery first, then the fixed battery. This way, I can have the fixed battery powering the laptop while I swap the removable...
  4. Setting Battery Priority

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wireless Router Recommendations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless Router Recommendations: We have cable internet and will most likely switch to verizon fios. I'm not in this location though at the moment. Now the past month or so, the wifi sometimes doesn't work for a bit, then it works. Its a 2 story house and we leave the router and the modem in the 2nd floor...
  6. Wired & Wireless Simultaneous Connection - Priority?

Wired & Wireless Simultaneous Connection - Priority?: Apparently, I have to keep my WiFi on my PC on for some other use, but mainly I use a wired connection to my router for internet. How does Windows 10 prioritize which connection to use (wired vs wireless) and how can I ensure that Windows 10 is forcing internet through the...
  7. Windows not communication with wireless router

Windows not communication with wireless router: My HP computer on Windows 10 with Intel Wi-Fi AX201 160 Mhz chip stopped communication with router. Router is ok and works fine with other computers. I already downloaded new drivers and installed from Hp. Com and Intel.com. My computer did download office software day...
  8. Can't connect with wireless router

Can't connect with wireless router: From one of my Windows 10 PC's I'm not able to connect anymore with my wireless router which connect with the Internet. Until a few hours ago this connection worked just fine. I doesn't seem to be a problem with the wireless router since 2 of my other PC's(also running...
  9. recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router

recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router: Moderators: if this post is off-topic, please just delete it, and I will understand. Guys, Is is OK to ask for a router recommendation here. My network includes a wireless bridge which is failing, so I thought I would repurpose my current router as a bridge and get a...
  10. DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem)

DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem): OS: Windows 10, version 1709 Router/Modem: Arris (Comcast) TG1682g I have a question about which DNS IP address has priority. The router has a fixed DNS IP of 75.75.75.75 (Comcast). It appears from looking at the router software/firmware and comments on the Comcast...