Windows 10: DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

Discus and support DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; hello everyone, I need to try cortana reminders on the 2004 version. I have vmware but I would like to try to install on my hardware if possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by einstein1969, Jul 26, 2020.

1. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

hello everyone,

I need to try cortana reminders on the 2004 version.

I have vmware but I would like to try to install on my hardware if possible with a dual boot.

I would like to use native boot on vhdx file.

I have seen tutorials and I have partially prepared a dos batch script to automate everything but I am missing the entry phase in the BCD.

But I would like to check again if everything is okay also the initial part.

Where do you recommend starting from?

:)

einstein1969, Jul 26, 2020
  2. F.Wu Win User

Native boot virtual machine failed to boot

Hello,

I have 2 SSDs in my laptop and each one has Windows 10 installed. I use dualboot menu to select which one to boot.

Now I am trying to use native boot of vhdx. What I did are:

1. use disk2vhd to create vhdx file, select the 2nd SSD(D: drive) and created Windows2.vhdx under folder \VM in the root of 1st SSD.

After VHDX file created, I run disk management and attach the virtual disk, I noticed there are three partition EFI/SYSTEM/Recovery in the VHD.

then I detached the drive.

2. use bcdicex64 to add an boot entry "Windows 10 VM" to boot from vhd.

3. Reboot the computer, select Windows 10 VM, Windows starts to load, after a few seconds, I got STOP error "critical_process_died".

I tried the following after boot failure:

Boot to 1st SSD, attach vhdx in disk management, delete EFI partition and recovery partition. detach vhdx, reboot the computer and choose Windows 10 VM. This time the computer keeps rebooting when the windows starts to load without giving STOP error.

Booting to safemode results same problem.

How to fix the problem? Thanks

3. .shrine Win User
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive.

For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual drive as option 2. Can I also have the 3rd option of linux as a VHDX?

***Moved From: Windows 10/Windows settings***

.shrine, Jul 26, 2020
  4. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

An App (VMRC 9) Installation error on windows 10 machines with a VHDX native boot

Hi, everyone.

I have some problem when installing VMRC 9. I looked up other threads from VMware Community and did everything with no luck. Mine might have different issue which seems to be related to Windows 10 itself rather
    than the app.

Whenever I tried to install VMRC 9 on my Windows 10 machines with native VHD boot setting, I faced the same error msg as follows;

DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file. Capture.png

It is quite weird. I have never encountered this kind of problem when installing any applications. I have been a big fan of Windows VHD native boot feature for several years..

As I experienced a success with one with Windows 10 1 Year Update Home VHDX installed by chance, I decided to pay the price of a clean installation, but ended up with a failure again.

Here is what I have tried on 4 different devices.

Windows 10 Pro
    VHDX
    Failed

Windows 10 1 Year Update Pro
    VHDX
    Failed

Windows 10 1 Year Update Home
    VHDX
    Succeeded

Windows 10 1 Year Update Home
    Native
    Succeeded

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

SeunghanCho, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

1. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file. - Similar Threads - DualBoot native boot

2. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  3. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  4. Native booting vhdx file not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  5. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  6. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  7. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  8. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  9. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  10. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...