Windows 10: Duel Type Storage - Decrease Boot Times Dell BIOS

Discus and support Duel Type Storage - Decrease Boot Times Dell BIOS in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspirion Gaming laptop that has both SSD and HDD installed. When I bought it, it only had the SSD in it, but it was 256GB, so I added an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SpanishMoss00, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Duel Type Storage - Decrease Boot Times Dell BIOS

I have a Dell Inspirion Gaming laptop that has both SSD and HDD installed. When I bought it, it only had the SSD in it, but it was 256GB, so I added an internal HDD in the open SATA port. When I booted it up for the first time with the new configuration, the boot time had gone from 5sec to 30sec+. All of the windows system files are located on the SSD and none on the HDD. I was researching and found that the longer boot time is because the Laptop checks all attached storage devices for booting, and of course, it takes much longer to do this on an HDD. I was wondering if there was a way to either remove the HDD from the menu that searches for bootable devices, or prevent the system from attempting to boot to the HDD. As mentioned above, the BIOS is by Dell assuming BIOS changes will be needed. A note: if the changes required could cause issues such as the system not recognizing the disk at all, I would rather not take that risk. If it pertains, the HDD and the SDD are formatted as NTFS, and the SSD is in an NVMe port; they are both internal.

If you require further information, please ask.

Thanks!

-SpanishMoss00

:)

SpanishMoss00, Apr 19, 2021
  2. JPPetrin Win User

Duel boot

I work with french an English clients, so I was wondering if I could duel boot my laptop with Windows 10 with one boot in English with Office 365 English and the second boot with Windows 10 French with Office 365 french? If yes, do I have to purchase two
    licences of Windows 10 and Office 365? I would only be using either the English or french boot at one time, never both at the same time.

JPPetrin, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Windows 10 boot up time

Let us run Defragmentation on your hard drive. This process will organize the contents of the mass storage device used to store files. Please follow these steps on how to defrag:

• Type defrag on the search box and select Defragment and Optimize Drives.
    • Select the disk drive you want to optimize.
    • Click the Optimize button.

After defragging the disk drive and the issue still persist, we suggest that you reach your computer manufacturer for more troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. There might be a need to update your Bios.

Regards,

Ryan Fra, Apr 19, 2021
  4. lacrumb Win User

Duel Type Storage - Decrease Boot Times Dell BIOS

Help with duel boot

have you checked the boot list in your BIOS?

When you start the computer and it shows the computer name screen does it show F12 or Enter or something else to get the boot list or the BIOS?

lacrumb, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Duel Type Storage - Decrease Boot Times Dell BIOS

1. Duel Type Storage - Decrease Boot Times Dell BIOS - Similar Threads - Duel Type Storage

2. OneDrive Storage Decreasing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Storage Decreasing?: HiI've noticed that my total OneDrive storage appears to be decreasing. When I started university, my total storage size was 2TB. Yesterday, OneDrive was complaining to me that there was no space left and to my horror, the total had gone down to 1.7TB. Today, I've noticed the...
  3. OneDrive Storage Decreasing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Storage Decreasing?: HiI've noticed that my total OneDrive storage appears to be decreasing. When I started university, my total storage size was 2TB. Yesterday, OneDrive was complaining to me that there was no space left and to my horror, the total had gone down to 1.7TB. Today, I've noticed the...
  4. duel boot windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    duel boot windows: I have insalled ubuntu and by mistake removed windows. Can someone tell me how to duel boot windows and ubuntu after installing ubuntu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duel-boot-windows/044dd64b-9bf8-4edc-96e4-36061079d44a
  5. duel boot windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    duel boot windows: I have insalled ubuntu and by mistake removed windows. Can someone tell me how to duel boot windows and ubuntu after installing ubuntu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duel-boot-windows/044dd64b-9bf8-4edc-96e4-36061079d44a
  6. duel boot windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. My Storage is Decreasing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Storage is Decreasing: I have a Windows 10 pro Originally Windows 8.1 pro and I have updated my Windows from "Download Windows 10 ISO".The problem is, there was around 386 GB or something like that in my Windows including 3 disks.Local Disk C,D,E. But After a few yearspresently, I have 77.4 GB free...
  8. My Storage is Decreasing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Storage is Decreasing: I have a Windows 10 pro Originally Windows 8.1 pro and I have updated my Windows from "Download Windows 10 ISO".The problem is, there was around 386 GB or something like that in my Windows including 3 disks.Local Disk C,D,E. But After a few yearspresently, I have 77.4 GB free...
  9. Help with duel boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with duel boot: I have a duel boot configured on my laptop. Windows 10 and Ubuntu. right now the Ubuntu Boot loader has taken charge and if I catch it in time It defaults to Ubuntu. so I have to actually log int Ubuntu then Log Out and restart and watch as it boots and catch it to select...
  10. Storage decrease

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage decrease: I'm having a bit of trouble with the fluctuations with the amount of free space on my OS. I already had a live agent and a level 2 technician look at the issue yesterday but the issue still persists. Ever since, I updated Windows on Friday, the amount of free space on my OS...