Windows 10: Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

Discus and support Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Okay - sounds simple. I've followed the procedure to use Macrium Reflect to create a rescue partition as per Kari's post - see link: Macrium Reflect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ArthurDent, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

Okay - sounds simple.

I've followed the procedure to use Macrium Reflect to create a rescue partition as per Kari's post - see link: Macrium Reflect Rescue Partition by Kari.

In it, section 2.6 he says You can now select to boot to Macrium Rescue from Windows Boot Menu:

Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu? [​IMG]

... however, I can't seem to get to the Boot Menu to check that it has a Macrium Rescue option.

I've tried both holding the shift key down whilst restarting and navigating to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart Now.

How can I access the Boot Menu?

Cheers

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jul 21, 2020

2. Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

I will have a crack at that tomorrow.

Going to climb the wooden hills to Bedfordshire!

Art

- - - Updated - - -

Okay - so I checked both msconfig and bcdedit through Command Prompt.

No entry for Macrium Rescue:

So I run the batch file again and get a single error (I also got this last night). Looking at it now, it appears to be the line that specifies the ramdisk ...

... and the output:

... as there are 10 command lines and apart from the first, the rest successfully complete.

Now, when I look at bcdedit, I appear to have TWO entries in the Boot Menu - yay!

and msconfig agrees:

Now to restart the PC and see what I get.

[An aside: trying to find out the syntax of the Ramdisk commands and what the '/d' switch does but getting nothing from the web : ( ]

UPDATE: And now I get the choice (as per picture in post #1 this thread) - success!

Art

ArthurDent, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

I do indeed get what you included in your post:

However, booting the PC I don't get Kari's blue boot choice menu.

Is there anyting else I need to do to 'activate' this in any way?

Reading through the Macrium Reflect Help for Rescue Builder, it seems that(in my case) the check mark should be against the R: drive as the Macrium Reflect Rescue Media files are stored on a different volume from the System Disk.

Macrium Rescue is in R: drive (and contains the files copied from the .iso image):

Art

ArthurDent, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

Thank you TG!

I'm using v7 of Macrium Reflect - seems very 'user friendly'.

It seems to be sorted now. I spotted the 'Select Volume for Rescue Media File Storage' (see third picture in post #5 this thread ) and figured that had to be set to point to the Rescue Partition.

Only way I'll know for sure is if I need to use it I guess. I can't boot to the Rescue Partition to test it without it screwing up the ordinary (working properly) Windows Partition (or can I?)

As an aside, why is the suggestion made to hide the Rescue Partition - to stop some lunk-head deleting it?!

Art

ArthurDent, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu?

1. Dumb Question #2 - How do I access the Boot Menu? - Similar Threads - Dumb Question access

2. Dumb backup question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dumb backup question: I set up this backup see below a few years ago when I got my Windows 10 PC. I’m Backing these folders to an external drive weekly.Now, because of my aging memory, I’m wondering why I set it up that way.Isn’t the various C:\ folders redundant ?I mainly wanted to back up my...
  3. Dumb backup question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dumb backup question: I set up this backup see below a few years ago when I got my Windows 10 PC. I’m Backing these folders to an external drive weekly.Now, because of my aging memory, I’m wondering why I set it up that way.Isn’t the various C:\ folders redundant ?I mainly wanted to back up my...
  4. Dumb backup question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dumb BitLocker Questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dumb BitLocker Questions: Hi, Probably really dumb question, but does resetting/reinstalling Windows 10 give you a new BitLocker recovery key? Guessing the answer is "Yes" because that is what I have done and now I have a different key, but just want to make sure that is the reason. If so, can my...
  6. Dumb BitLocker Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Dumb BitLocker Questions: Hi, Probably really dumb question, but does resetting/reinstalling Windows 10 give you a new BitLocker recovery key? Guessing the answer is "Yes" because that is what I have done and now I have a different key, but just want to make sure that is the reason. If so, can my...
  7. Ok, Dumb Question.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ok, Dumb Question.: So, ive been wanting to know the awnser to this for a very long time, it keeps me up at night. What I need to know is if its possible to take a bunch of 4 port usb hubs and plug them into eachother about 50 times and then plug usb sticks into the 3 other ports on each one...
  8. Sort of a dumb question (????)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sort of a dumb question (????): So I recently got a M2 ssd, I want to boot windows using it. Should I restart the entire pc and then install windows there or I can simply transfer it form my normal ssd that it is where it's currently installed? I feel like it would go wrong so that's why i'm asking. (By...
  9. Dumb question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dumb question: i want to install UltraUXthemepatcher, i know what windows ver i have but i don't know how to set that into ultrauxthemepatcher submitted by /u/Cubicalspy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3i55v/dumb_question/
  10. Maybe a Dumb Question.

in Windows 10 Support
    Maybe a Dumb Question.: But I will ask it anyway. If I update my Win 7 Pro to Windows 10 now, will I still be able to Dual Boot the upgraded Windows 10 with The TP? 8504