Windows 10: Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks

Discus and support Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Okay, here's the thing. For years, I have been cloning the hard disks whenever I get a new PC or update the OS to a newer version (e.g. XP > Vista,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ArthurDent, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks

Okay, here's the thing.

For years, I have been cloning the hard disks whenever I get a new PC or update the OS to a newer version (e.g. XP > Vista, Vista > W7, W7 > W10). I used to use Acronis True Image which always did what I wanted without fuss until earlier this year - when it wouldn't (the actual details don't matter).

Folks on this forum seem to prefer Macrium Reflect (and I started using it too when I tried it and it did what I wanted when Acronis wouldn't).

Anyhoo ... to the question.

MR like ATI offers the choice of 'Clone this Disk' or 'Image this Disk'.

Which is better (if any) and why?

A supplemantary question might be, I guess you could do both. Does this offer any advantage?

That's it.

Cheers,

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jul 21, 2020
  2. R9
    r9 Win User

Disk/Partition Cloning Questions ?

Till now I was using Acronis True Image 8 that comes with Hirens boot disk. I was cloning installations from USB HDD. Now I want to clone image file that is on network computer. Above mentioned Acronis software can restore only local images not network ones. The machine that is holding img files is Ubuntu Linux and files are shared both on FTP and SAMBA. I tried Linux Ghost software that has option for both NTFS and RAW method of cloning and can store and pull img files from FTP server. The thing is that after cloning even though the first partition is Active/Primary the PC wont boot from it.
    So the long awaited question is *Big Grin Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks :D. Please recommend me software that can be booted from CD/DVD and can restore partition images from network location. -This is not even a qustion *Big Grin Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks :D.

3. Disk Image/Clone

Hello,

I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
    software package that would allow me to create a single image and burn it to new systems as I need to deploy?

Greg Auping, Jul 21, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks

Help with hard disk "corruption"

The information about clone versus image was to report the problem related to disk signatures. If you are not experiencing that problem then you can move on to other steps. It was not a suggestion to clone or not clone. It was to report an unforeseen problem that can occur.

If you are able to run chkdsk /x /f /r on the drive it can place files on parts of the drive where there are no bad blocks.

zbook, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks

1. Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks - Similar Threads - Dumb Question possibly

2. Dumb question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dumb question: i want to install UltraUXthemepatcher, i know what windows ver i have but i don't know how to set that into ultrauxthemepatcher submitted by /u/Cubicalspy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3i55v/dumb_question/
  3. Intelligent suggestions for possibly dumb questions (Network?)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intelligent suggestions for possibly dumb questions (Network?): Hello. Purchased an HP Envy Desktop W10 Home (V2004) to replace my aged AMD Ryzen homebuilt (Pro V20H2). The HP is very small and might have room for one additional hard drive. My Ryzen had 1 SSD and 2 500GB Mirrored as Data, I kinda like the setup. Was possibly considering...
  4. Intelligent suggestions for possibly dumb questions (Network?)

in Windows 10 Support
    Intelligent suggestions for possibly dumb questions (Network?): Hello. Purchased an HP Envy Desktop W10 Home (V2004) to replace my aged AMD Ryzen homebuilt (Pro V20H2). The HP is very small and might have room for one additional hard drive. My Ryzen had 1 SSD and 2 500GB Mirrored as Data, I kinda like the setup. Was possibly considering...
  5. Playback from Audio Inputs - a possibly dumb question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Playback from Audio Inputs - a possibly dumb question: Good day folks. I've got maybe a dumb question here. Preface: I know all about doing this the multi step way, going through the sound settings, setting the playback device, etc. Looking for a quick, easy, possibly hot-keyable method For ages I've had my staff at work (some...
  6. Questions about disk clone imagine Please Answer these Questions A-F

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Questions about disk clone imagine Please Answer these Questions A-F: A) Under What Conditions Will the software Clonezilla work to clone GTP windows 10 UEFI drives. ? ? B) Under What Conditions Can I boot Up a computer that has UEFI secure Boot turned on C) When I try to boot my Computer to a flash and windows says it wants IPV4 or IPV6 and...
  7. Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  8. Question about cloning a drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about cloning a drive: Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10...
  9. Question about imaging

Question about imaging: Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive (mechanical HD 2 TB). Lack of spare time stops me doing it. My question is would you guys bother imaging your secondary drive....
  10. System Disk Image/Clone

System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...