Windows 10: Duplex scanning on Windows 10 using Canon printer no longer works

Discus and support Duplex scanning on Windows 10 using Canon printer no longer works in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This all used to work just fine using all of the same hardware on the same network. I've been trying to debug this for hours now, and nothing has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rascalmom, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Rascalmom Win User

Duplex scanning on Windows 10 using Canon printer no longer works

This all used to work just fine using all of the same hardware on the same network. I've been trying to debug this for hours now, and nothing has worked. IT USED TO WORK. So. Let's dive in.

I am trying to scan a long double-sided letter-size document on my Canon TR8520 printer from my Windows 10 Dell Inspiron 15 laptop.

Windows is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, x64-based prox

Version 1809 OS Build 17763.973

The Canon printer is less than six months old. Since I got it, it's been scanning and printing duplex just fine using Canon's IJ Scan Utility.

Today I tried to scan a double-sided document and . . it will only scan one side. It just doesn't work in any scanning app. It scans one side of the doc and then stops instead of sending it back through the ADF to scan the other side.

I tried all of the settings changes I could find in the IJ Scan Utility but when nothing worked, I tried switching to the Windows Fax and Scan Application. It also fails to scan in duplex mode where it used to work before. When I launch the app and select 'New Scan, Profile: Documents" the only source options I am given are: Flatbed, or Feeder Scan one side. Typically there would also be an option for "Feeder Scan both sides".

I ran the troubleshooter tool nothing found.

I checked for driver updates it was already current.

I uninstalled the printer, shut the printer off, shut down my laptop, connected the printer to the computer using a printer cable, and then booted my laptop. The printer was detected and installed. No change.

I downloaded new drivers from here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/tr-series-inkjet/pixma-tr8520-wireless-office-all-in-one-printer?tab=drivers_downloads

And then rebooted. No change.

I checked the printer properties of the printer to confirm that "double-sided = YES" was set, and it is.

The printer *prints* double-sided just fine; it's just stopped *scanning* double-sided. The whole point of having an ADF is being able to load multiple pages without having to manually move them around.

WHAT HAS CHANGED?! Why has duplex scanning stopped working all of a sudden? Note: I see that there are some older/archived threads for this same issue, all of which instruct people to try all of the things I've tried above. So . . .not the first time this issue has happened. I note that none of the previous threads seemed to have an effective resolution either.

Please tell me what else to try. Thanks.

:)

Rascalmom, Jan 16, 2020
  2. robmar0se Win User

Canon scan from printer no longer works due to a Windows 10/64 update

I understand from Canon that a windows 10 update is causing issues in that the scan to PC button on the printer control panel no longer works. I would go so far as to say that Microsoft have introduced a bug - not for the first time either.

I mention it here as I spent not an inconsiderable amount of time trying to resolve, re-installing drivers, etc etc, before calling Canon - within seconds of explaining our problem they knew the cause. - since it was working till earlier this week, it is down to Microsoft to resolve as they have introduced the problem.

Canon Pixma 5450 on Windows 10/64 latest version - PC not recognising connection (via USB) of a scan being passed to it from the printer/scanner. Scan occurs but no error is reported on Windows 10 nor the scanner - further checked that the scan is not "silently" paced within our Documents/Pictures folders. No other issues, printer works fine - put simply PC to printer works - printer to PC fails.

robmar0se, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Canon MX870 will no longer scan after installing windows 10

Canon MX870 all in one printer will no longer scan with windows 10. I have upgraded the drivers and software, and still nothing. I am using USB. The printer window shows "Set the window to start scanning."

Does anyone have any suggestions. Canon was not able to help at all.

Thank you so very much.

Carole

caroleownsED12, Jan 16, 2020
  4. SE01122 Win User

Fix for Canon printer not scanning after upgrade to WIndows 10

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and then my older Canon MP160 printer would no longer scan. It would print, but not scan. I saw a question about this in the Microsoft community, but no fixes in the responses. You don't need to buy a new printer!
    After several attempts to fix the problem, I finally got the scanner to work! Here's what I had to do: First, I went to Control Panel, then under Hardware and Sound I clicked View Devices and Printers. Then I found my Canon MP160 in the list of devices,
    right clicked on it and selected "Remove Device". Next I went to Apps & Features, located the Canon MP160 software, clicked on it and selected "Uninstall" to remove the software. On the Canon website I searched for my printer at this link: Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Drivers & Downloads
    and since they displayed a note that there were no drivers for Windows 10 for my device, I downloaded the Windows 7 version of the Canon software. After downloading the driver installation file, I went to that file in my Downloads folder, right clicked on
    it, selected "Properties", clicked the "Compatibility" tab, and under "Compatibility Mode" checked the box "Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For" and in the drop-down underneath I selected Windows 7. Then I clicked "Apply" and "Okay", then ran the installation
    program. Once that is done, in order to start a scan you have to now start it from the computer, rather than from the printer "Scan" button. To start the scan from the computer, go to Control Panel, then View Devices and Printers, then right click the Canon
    printer and select "Start Scan". This is the only way the scan will start now, it can no longer be initiated directly from the printer. But it works now. I found that I had to uninstall everything first, not just try reinstalling the Canon software because
    that didn't work. It didn't work until I uninstalled everything first and followed the steps I just listed.

SE01122, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Duplex scanning on Windows 10 using Canon printer no longer works - Similar Threads - Duplex scanning using

2. Win10 no longer recognizes Canon printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 no longer recognizes Canon printer: After a recent Windows update, Win10 Home system no longer recognizes printer Canon Maxify MB2120. The latest Canon driver is installed. Have removed printer and reinstalled. Printer prints test sheet, but not from the computer. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks....
  3. Unable to scan on Canon mx432 printer

Unable to scan on Canon mx432 printer: My Canon mx432 printer is offline. When I try to uncheck the "printer offline" box, it won't let me uncheck it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-scan-on-canon-mx432-printer/c89ff4ba-b8c3-404c-a816-90f5c4287a24
  4. Windows 10 scanning with Canon MX860 printer

Windows 10 scanning with Canon MX860 printer: Hello All, I have just purchased a new computer a Windows 10, I want to scan a document on my old printer and create a PDF, with my old computer I would do it from my printer, but with my new computer the creation of a scanned document to PDF is not working via my printer how...
  5. Canon MG 5140 printer scanning

Canon MG 5140 printer scanning: My Canon MG 5140printer used to scan without ink. Now it won't (or something else is the problem). It prints fine. Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canon-mg-5140-printer-scanning/1cbe16b5-d2fb-42da-a209-7a71b2b98c49
  6. Scanning from Canon MG2240 printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scanning from Canon MG2240 printer: I have installed student version Microsoft 10 2018 Canon printer has scanning operation but the laptop does not pick up scan I can print from the printer Does anyone know what is wrong?...
  7. Scanning from Canon printer TS9020

Scanning from Canon printer TS9020: I Installed printer/scanner and printing works fine, but when I try to scan, I get an error message. Instructions show Grant access permission to the specified folder. How do I do this?...
  8. Fix for Canon printer not scanning after upgrade to WIndows 10

Fix for Canon printer not scanning after upgrade to WIndows 10: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and then my older Canon MP160 printer would no longer scan. It would print, but not scan. I saw a question about this in the Microsoft community, but no fixes in the responses. You don't need to buy a new printer! After several attempts...
  9. Canon MP250 Printer No Longer Works

Canon MP250 Printer No Longer Works: When the print spooler is turned on I get a message that says the printer queue is full. (The printer queue is empty.) If I try the printer without the printer spool on i.e. print directly to the printer, I get a message that says "Unable to create a print job." This...
  10. Canon scan from printer no longer works due to a Windows 10/64 update

Canon scan from printer no longer works due to a Windows 10/64 update: I understand from Canon that a windows 10 update is causing issues in that the scan to PC button on the printer control panel no longer works. I would go so far as to say that Microsoft have introduced a bug - not for the first time either. I mention it here as I spent not...