Windows 10: Duplicate account entries in UAC and other Windows oddities!

Discus and support Duplicate account entries in UAC and other Windows oddities! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I normally log on to Windows 10 Home (a clean install) with my User Account. Let's call my User Account "Jerry". When I need to run something as... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Jeeves, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jeeves Win User

Duplicate account entries in UAC and other Windows oddities!

I normally log on to Windows 10 Home (a clean install) with my User Account. Let's call my User Account "Jerry".
    When I need to run something as admin, I enter my administrative account password in the UAC screen. Let's call my admin account "Tom".
    "Tom" and "Jerry" are linked to two Microsoft accounts of mine.
    So far, so good.

What's weird, though, UAC lists "Tom" twice. Both entries share exactly the same name (my Microsoft account name, not the local name) and same email address.
    Only difference is, one entry shows my icon pic, the other is blank.
    Both of them accept the same password (Microsoft account password) and both of them do unblock UAC successfully.
    Question #1: Should I do something about it and remove the duplicate entry (how?), or just ignore this "Windows oddity"?

In case it helps, my admin account is with the following groups: Administrators, Users and Home Users.

Besides, I have to tell you I changed the computer name after install, then I also did something in User Accounts like adding a description to "Jerry" into the description field.
    I am not 100% sure whether there's cause and effect, but after a while I noticed something weird had happened: "Tom" the admin was not an admin any longer, just a limited user (I had to add it to Administrators again, now it works fine), and "Jerry" the user was not in any groups any longer, it wasn't even showing on the Windows logon screen. I had to add it to the Users and Home Users group again and now it works fine too.
    On the same Windows, I have a third account too, a local administrative account. It was not affected by any oddities. I use it as emergency logon only, though. I used that to add "Tom" to admins again.

So...
    Question #2: Would you recommend that I go back to a pre-computer-name-change Windows state, using a Restore Point?
    Question #3: Would you recommend that I unlink Tom the admin from the Microsoft account?
    Or I shouldn't worry about all that? After all, apart from the duplicate entry in UAC and apart from those other "oddities" I already fixed, everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

:)

Jeeves, Nov 2, 2015
  2. bjboudre Win User

Problem with Duplicate Contacts

My wife's phone is setup to synch with her Windows Live account and her Facebook account. I have configured it to only synch the Facebook accounts that are in her Windows Live account. The problem we are seeing is that on the phone she has duplicate
    entries for some contacts that are in her Windows Live account. 1 Windows Live contact has duplicated almost 20 times on her phone. There is only 1 entry in Windows Live but almost 20 duplicates on the phone. How can I clean this up without deleting the
    contact from her Live account?

bjboudre, Nov 2, 2015
  3. To-Do List duplicate entries and a few other things....

The Microsoft account syncs more than just email. It is used to sync contacts, appointments & tasks, but it's also used to provide routine updates to the phone (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn - if you have these things connected to the phone; app updates
    - for any marketplace apps you've installed to the phone, etc; and may even update DRM licenses for xBox music subscriptions - if you've set that up; there could also be more things a sync of this account might also do that I haven't listed here.). The WHOLE
    Microsoft account and all the things that are linked or associated with it are updated when the Microsoft account is synced.

At the very minimum most users would want the phone to sync for any changes in all all these things at least once a day, so the daily option works pretty well for most users who may not be interested in syncing email. That's what I've got that account set to
    on my windows phones. I do receive email through that account too, and since it's not important email, daily syncing of that email account works fine for me too.

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 2, 2015
Thema:

Duplicate account entries in UAC and other Windows oddities!

1. Duplicate account entries in UAC and other Windows oddities! - Similar Threads - Duplicate account entries

2. Duplicate account in "Accounts used by other apps..."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate account in "Accounts used by other apps...": I have a duplicate work account in "accounts used by other apps".. any idea how to remove one of them? If I disconnect it, it disconnects them both and I can't disconnect the other.It then also disappears....
  3. Duplicate account in "Accounts used by other apps..."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate account in "Accounts used by other apps...": I have a duplicate work account in "accounts used by other apps".. any idea how to remove one of them? If I disconnect it, it disconnects them both and I can't disconnect the other.It then also disappears....
  4. Duplicate account in "Accounts used by other apps..."

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Duplicate entries in Defender ATP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Duplicate entries in Defender ATP: Hello,Thanks in advance for any information on this issue.As you can see we have duplicate entries in the Security Center showing up. In the below example, there are 4 total entries for this VM. These VMs are deployed through a pipeline. For some reason some are showing up in...
  6. Duplication of entries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplication of entries: Last week, I was told my One Drive was almost full. I found that most of the entries had duplicated themselves. It took hours to go through and eliminate all of the duplicates. Whenever I add a photo to an album, if it begins a sync cycle, the photo duplicates itself, but...
  7. Duplicate Monitor Entry under "Other Devices" - "Generic Monitor"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Duplicate Monitor Entry under "Other Devices" - "Generic Monitor": Apparently when I installed the original Creators Update last Spring on my HP desktop, it generated a fictitious entry under "Other Devices". This device is named "Generic Monitor" and it appears from the information in Device Manager to be a duplicate of my actual monitor...
  8. Duplicate entries in registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate entries in registry: I have found hundreds of duplicate entries in Windows 10 registry, is there a way to remove them simply? Just a few: [img] 99409
  9. Duplicate Start Menu Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Start Menu Entries: After performing a "reset PC" last night and installing (some) of my programs, I noticed the start menu has duplicate entries for some of them. [img] In addition to Evernote, the other programs with double entries are Malwarebytes and ShareX. Both entries (for each...
  10. No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities)

in Windows 10 Support
    No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities): Hi, a botched Win7 update on windowsupdate forced me to reinstall Windows, so I went Win10 10130. Got most of the stuff working the way I want by googling and the help of way cleverer People than I. Here's what I cant - for the life of me - figure out: I cannot drag...