Windows 10: Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...

Discus and support Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have duplicate Desktop folders in Pictures folder and OneDrive folder which also contains duplicates of other major folders, even though I switched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SuperSean01, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...

I have duplicate Desktop folders in Pictures folder and OneDrive folder which also contains duplicates of other major folders, even though I switched off OneDrive sync. The type is shown as File folder, so it is definitely not a shortcut. I am sure the Desktop folder occupies thrice or more times its actual space due to this. But when I delete one of these, the whole Desktop is emptied.

Is there any way I can get rid of these extraneous folders without harming the contents of my Desktop ? ..because large sized folders cannot be recovered once deleted.

Please help me resolve this safely.

:)

SuperSean01, Sep 4, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out... :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 4, 2020
  3. OneDrive resulted in duplicate Documents folders, can't merge

I did try restore but it wouldn't let me. The result was the same, that being that it complained of there already being a system folder there (i.e., users\Chris\Documents, etc.)

I just looked in HKCU... as suggested and found the folders defined as "C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive\...". Interestingly, I found a couple of GUIDs other than the Download folder you referred to above. Both point to "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\...". They duplicate
    the explicitly named Personal and Pictures folders assigned to "C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive\...", i.e., they point to the same folder.

Only Personal, Pictures and Desktop are assigned using the C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive string. As above, Personal and Pictures are duplicated as GUIDs. Desktop is not duplicated.

Can I just delete the GUID duplicates of Personal and Pictures (not Downloads) and change the OneDrive entries to "%UserProfile%\...," as some others are assigned?

Is it atypical that Cache is defined as "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\...", unlike other AppData folders defined using "%UserProfile%\..."?

Edit: if editing HKCU directly results in the duplicate folders remaining, that's fine. I can just move the contents of the unwanted folders into the corresponding defined system folder, then delete the duplicate folders.

ChrisCowles, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...

onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...

1. Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out... - Similar Threads - Duplicate Desktop Folder

2. Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder: Hello, I am not a fan of automatic cloud backup and wanted to disable all onedrive connectivity. I noted that for windows 11, my desktop was automatically mapped to a onedrive folder. I had already turned off backup options and uninstalled the onedrive app. I followed the...
  3. which duplicate folder should I delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which duplicate folder should I delete: I all of a sudden am getting my folders duplicated, so now I two folders one with a 1 after and one without a 1 behind it. Which one should I delete, I have many folders...
  4. which duplicate folder should I delete

which duplicate folder should I delete: I all of a sudden am getting my folders duplicated, so now I two folders one with a 1 after and one without a 1 behind it. Which one should I delete, I have many folders...
  5. Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder: Basically what the title says... OneDrive was taking up over 5GB of storage and I didn't know why. I checked what was in the folder, the Pictures folder was definitely not in it, and decided to delete it from my laptop.Moments later, my laptop started doing funky things like...
  6. Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder

Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder: Basically what the title says... OneDrive was taking up over 5GB of storage and I didn't know why. I checked what was in the folder, the Pictures folder was definitely not in it, and decided to delete it from my laptop.Moments later, my laptop started doing funky things like...
  7. Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder: Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-duplicated-in-pictures-folder/00af09ce-e789-4e17-b6bc-1385950e6eed
  8. issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder: Howdy folks! I am new to tenforums, having my normal residence at sevenforums. But I'm attempting to help my wife with her fairly new (June) Asus Tuf laptop with Win10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.1256, AMD Ryzen7, 16GB RAM She somehow ended up with 2 Desktop folders...
  9. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  10. Duplicated Documents and Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated Documents and Pictures folders: I have discovered that I have two Documents and two Pictures folders: one of each is in "This PC" and one in "Windows (C)>Users>[my name]". They are not synced and I seem to have to copy files from one to the other to get them to show the same; if I don't I have problems...