Windows 10: Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop

Discus and support Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello folks, This "may" have been asked before, but I am at a loss to find an answer, so please bear with an old timer. In case this is needed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim Bat, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Jim Bat Win User

Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop

Hello folks,

This "may" have been asked before, but I am at a loss to find an answer, so please bear with an old timer.

In case this is needed the following details may also help

Edition Windows 10
    Version 1909
    OS build 18363.535
    System type 32-bit operating system x64 based processor

The Problem:

When I turn on my laptop and press the folder to activate the explorer I see a display like that shown in "PIC 1"

If I add a usb flash drive or any other storage device I see a display like that shown in "PIC 2"

I am puzzled as to why there is a duplication of the items in "PIC 2".

If I have been working on the attached drive I also find that the work is spread between the duplicated items which makes it

very difficult to keep track of the work in progress.

Is there any way to stop the duplication from happening ?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Kind regards

Jim

Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop 9489b981-7047-4055-b079-a99da92b62b1?upload=true.jpg

PIC 1 - No external attachment present

Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop 582f4918-0d2b-48e7-9e40-e8a75330e4e1?upload=true.jpg

PIC 2 - Flash drive attached

:)

Jim Bat, Jan 13, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

StarTech Announces USB Drive Duplicator

StarTech.com, a leading manufacturer of hard-to-find connectivity parts, has announced the release of a new USB Flash Drive Duplicator and Eraser (SKU: USBDUP15), a portable solution for simultaneously copying one USB flash drive to up to five USB flash drives at speeds of up to 1.5GB per minute or securely erasing up to six flash drives. The duplicator is the most compact of its kind on the market, ideal for users who need a portable way to distribute data from a single flash drive onto many, or completely remove content from multiple flash drives simultaneously.

"StarTech.com's USB Flash Drive Duplicator can boost productivity and save time for IT and Marketing professionals who need to constantly generate multiple software and marketing collateral distributions while they're away from the office" said Juliet Wei, Senior Product Manager for StarTech.com. "Compared to traditional CDs or DVDs, USB flash drives provide a more cost-effective and convenient way to distribute files and information. The USB Flash Drive Duplicator can drastically reduce the time needed to create multiple copies, which is extremely useful for many industries, including IT professionals who need to deploy operating system files or software, or make quick data backups, or for marketing professionals who distribute content using flash drives."

Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop 25a_thm.jpg

Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop 25b_thm.jpg

Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop 25c_thm.jpg

Features of the USB Flash Drive Duplicator and Eraser (USBDUP15), include:
    • Supports USB 3.0/2.0/1.1 Flash Drives
    • 1:5 standalone duplication with 2 duplication modes
    • Erase up to 6 USB flash drives with single-pass and multi-pass overwriting/DoD erasing
    • High-speed duplication at 1.5GB per minute
    • TAA compliant
    • Built-in LCD display
    • Check drive capacity, quality and speed with intuitive task management
    • Supports Asynchronous, Synchronous copy modes, for quick batch swapping with 64 MB of internal memory
    MSRP for StarTech.com's USB Flash Drive Duplicator and Eraser (SKU: USBDUP15) is £580.00 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK. The drive dock will be available from Insight, Misco, Amazon.co.uk and Dabs and is also distributed by Enta, Ingram Micro and Exertis Micro-P.

For more information, visit this page.

btarunr, Jan 13, 2020
  3. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Duplicate drives show when a flash drive is attached to usb port on laptop - Similar Threads - Duplicate drives show

2. USB flash drive not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive not showing: All my USB flash drives cannot be accessed. The computer does not show anything when I plug one of them in. It's as if they don't exist. They work fine on other computers though. What could be the problem and how do I rectify this? Thanks....
  3. USB flash drive not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB flash drive not showing: All my USB flash drives cannot be accessed. The computer does not show anything when I plug one of them in. It's as if they don't exist. They work fine on other computers though. What could be the problem and how do I rectify this? Thanks....
  4. USB flash drive not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My USB port not recognizing my flash drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My USB port not recognizing my flash drives.: I have error code 38 and have tried all the solutions but none work.Could this be a recent Windows 11 update?Any suggestions appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-usb-port-not-recognizing-my-flash-drives/07908383-905f-4e79-8bdb-66daf5040a0a
  6. My USB port not recognizing my flash drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My USB port not recognizing my flash drives.: I have error code 38 and have tried all the solutions but none work.Could this be a recent Windows 11 update?Any suggestions appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-usb-port-not-recognizing-my-flash-drives/07908383-905f-4e79-8bdb-66daf5040a0a
  7. Attaching and detaching a USB flash drive (pen drive)

Attaching and detaching a USB flash drive (pen drive): Really disheartening. A very simple thing: attaching and detaching a USB flash drive (pen drive) is becoming a painful operation: sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn't work with the "Safe Removal". Usual: "Device currently in use. Close any programs or windows...
  8. USB ports, flash drives, and missing camera drives

USB ports, flash drives, and missing camera drives: Okay. So my problems started when I could no longer access my webcam. The webcam itself is in fine condition. I later checked and somehow, the driver had just disappeared from my computer. I attempted to download the driver needed from the webcam company's website, however it...
  9. USB 3.0 Flash Drive not detected in USB 3.0 port

USB 3.0 Flash Drive not detected in USB 3.0 port: my USB 3.0 flash drive is detected when plugged into the 2.0 USB port, but not when its plugged into the 3.0 USB port. But my 2.0 USB devices are detected when plugged into the 3.0 USB port. Is there any way to make it so 3.0 USB detects 3.0 USB? 130330
  10. Duplicate Drive show

Duplicate Drive show: Why does drive F & G show up twice in navigation pane? They are external HDs. [img] 38720