Windows 10: Duplicate entries in registry

Discus and support Duplicate entries in registry in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have found hundreds of duplicate entries in Windows 10 registry, is there a way to remove them simply? Just a few: [img] 99409 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Dec 1, 2017.

1. rdwray Win User

Duplicate entries in registry

I have found hundreds of duplicate entries in Windows 10 registry, is there a way to remove them simply?
    Just a few:

Duplicate entries in registry [​IMG]

:)

rdwray, Dec 1, 2017

2. Taskbar Icons Display Settings List

I see you've been a member of these forums for quite a while. What's your level of expertise/comfort? Have you tried searching the Registry for duplicate entries?

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Dec 1, 2017
  3. DigvinderSingh, Dec 1, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Are they all in the same Key? The Registry is 5 text files known as Hives and many times the same entry will be in 2 or more of the Hives. There are abundant naysayers but I've use CCleaner [formerly named Crap Cleaner] for years to clean the Registry without problems. Can't say that about some other cleaners that have been known to have problems. Manually editing the Registry can allow a small problem to slip in that will prevent Windows working but carefully following suggested edits can work.

Berton, Dec 1, 2017
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    They are not duplicate entries.
    If you look closely you will see that the last 2 hex characters in the first group of 8 are all different. This is not unusual. Do not delete any of them.

LMiller7, Dec 1, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    Those are not duplicates. You would find out if you looked more closely in detail.

It illustrates why people should not be going in the Registry and mess around.

Helmut, Dec 1, 2017
  7. rdwray Win User
    You are right, the last 2 in the first set is different, thanks....

rdwray, Dec 2, 2017
  8. rdwray Win User

Notice that I posted before making changes - got broke in on 3.1.

rdwray, Dec 2, 2017
  9. rdwray Win User
    I use ccleaner, but LMiler7 pointed out something that I missed in that the last 2 characters in the first string are different.

rdwray, Dec 2, 2017
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    Always remember that modern operating systems are very complex and there is much going on that is far from obvious. First impressions are often wrong. Never delete anything in the registry unless you really understand what you are doing, and then think twice. The same for the Windows folder and all of it's subfolders.

There are some things about Regedit that are often missed. Unlike a text editor there is no separate "Save" command needed to actually make changes. All changes are immediate. And there is no undo facility so there is no easy way to reverse changes. Regedit is a powerful tool but like all such it takes time to learn how to use it effectively.

LMiller7, Dec 2, 2017
  11. rdwray Win User
    LMiller7, I never assume anything, when I make a change in the registry, I always export first so it can be restored. I always create a restore point just in case - I have Task Scheduler create a restore point every night.

rdwray, Dec 2, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    A nice feature of CCleaner is it does prompt to make a backup of the Registry before letting it make changes.

Berton, Dec 2, 2017
  13. rdwray Win User

Very much so. I use ccleaner often, especially when I do an uninstall.

rdwray, Dec 2, 2017
  14. I recommend being very careful using Ccleaner as it has been bought by Avast.
    In my opinion Avast has got into something they know little about.
    I personally don't use the registry cleaning part of the Avast/Ccleaner.
    I also don't use the Duplicate finder.
    I had to do a clean install after using the Avast/Ccleaner registry cleaner.
    In my opinion Avast should stick with anti virus programs. They do quite well there.
    Prior to the Avast buy out I used the registry portion of Ccleaner for years without problems.
    When checking Duplicate entries in registry I just leave them alone. Their seem to be small differences in them.
    Not know what the differences mean, I just leave them alone.

Just my findings on my systems and my opinion.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 2, 2017
  15. vram Win User
    Unless you’re having registry related problems, leave it be.

Thema:

1. Duplicate entries in registry - Similar Threads - Duplicate entries registry

2. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  3. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  4. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  5. Problem with a registry entries

Problem with a registry entries: Problem with the following registry: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} [Original Title: registry entries]...
  6. registry entries

registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  7. Duplication of entries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplication of entries: Last week, I was told my One Drive was almost full. I found that most of the entries had duplicated themselves. It took hours to go through and eliminate all of the duplicates. Whenever I add a photo to an album, if it begins a sync cycle, the photo duplicates itself, but...
  8. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  9. Invalid Registry for Entry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invalid Registry for Entry: HELP!!!!! I cannot open any photos as I keep getting Invalid Registry for Entry message. What is that? Up until a few days ago I had no problem. Can anyone help me?...
  10. Garbled Registry Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled Registry Entries: Hello, Was looking at registry to make a backup of some entries and saw the following garbled entries. Was wondering what this was all about. Recently, my machine, after latest windows updates, has been having issues waking up after Hibernate. This issue seemed to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 services duplicate registry

2. windows 10 registry duplicate entry

3. duplicate media player entries in registry

4. duplicate entries in reg edit