Windows 10: Duplicate Files and Folders

Discus and support Duplicate Files and Folders in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I remove duplicate files and folders?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LouTag, Jul 26, 2021.

1. LouTag Win User

Duplicate Files and Folders

How can I remove duplicate files and folders?

:)

LouTag, Jul 26, 2021

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hi,

To further identify the cause of this problem, can you provide us the following information?

• What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
    • Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?

Regards.

Engelsen Fad, Jul 26, 2021
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Duplicate Files and Folders - Similar Threads - Duplicate Files Folders

2. Files being duplicated in temp folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files being duplicated in temp folder: Hello, A few months ago a virus appeared on my Windows 10 device, and was apparently deleted by Kaspersky. Since then, I have had many issues like black screen on boot up, the computer not detecting my mouse, overheating and other various graphic issues. I looked into my...
  3. Duplicate folders in my File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate folders in my File Explorer: I know this had been covered long ago. It is impossible for me to find that particular thread. Would someone please tell me how I can remove those 2 duplicate folders? Thank you. [img] 168975
  4. Software for finding duplicate files and folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software for finding duplicate files and folders: My main pc has over the years managed to get a lot of duplicate files and folders is there any software that will find them for me that is easy to use so i can delete them. I have win10 version 2004 161402
  5. Duplicate File folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Duplicate File folders: I have two identical file folders called BAS. Most of my business folders are in the BAS file. One BAS file is found in: This PC > Windows C: > Baile > Documents The other BAS file is found in: This PC Windows C: > Users > Baile > Documents Both reference...
  6. Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder: When I create a new file in a child folder in my "This PC" parent folder, the file is automatically also created in a child folder in my "One Drive" parent folder. As a result, I essentially am doubling the storage usage on my PC. Similarly, if I delete a file from my "One...
  7. Duplicate folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Duplicate folders: Why is there a duplicate folder of my desktop folder (stored on my main C Drive) in my User account? If I try to delete anything from the User/Desktop folder it also deletes it from the desktop folder stored on my main C Drive! Is this User Folder necessary? Is it taking up...
  8. Duplicate Files/Folders In Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Files/Folders In Windows: Not sure how long it has been this way but I just noticed that I have duplicate windows folders in both the program folder and the program (86) folder. Several have the exact same info inside. [img] 109690
  9. Duplicate files/folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate files/folders: I am after some software that will help me remove duplicate files. In this case, some program seems to have recreated duplicate folders with just a file called "desktop.ini" in it. I would like to be able to search for that and remove all the corresponding duplicate...
  10. Duplicate folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate folders: Thanks for having me on these boards. This is a new laptop preinstalled with W10 x64. Under 'This PC' I have a bunch of folders: 3D objects, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos. Under 'Users/howar': I have the same set of folders plus some more,...