Windows 10: duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

Discus and support duplicate files when copying folder with GUI in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try copy user folders quite often I get the message that folder/file already exists, I copy c:\program data or c:\users user folders from one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by myname mysurname, Feb 8, 2019.

1. duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

When I try copy user folders quite often I get the message that folder/file already exists, I copy c:\program data or c:\users user folders from one hard drive to a brand new computer with brand new hard disk, so that folder/file absolutely sure doesn't exist on the new one, so, what is the explanation behind explorer telling me that file already exists?

I'm not looking for a way to solve this problem, I just boot linux and copy it with midnight commander, I just want to understand how can windows explorer detect a duplicate on this type of situation

:)

myname mysurname, Feb 8, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 8, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

Copy and Paste duplicate files, folders, diirectories

Hi Rick,

A few possible reasons can cause the file conflict dialog box to stop appearing. To help us identify the cause of this issue, we would like to know the following information:

• Do you only experience this issue when copying files to an external drive?
    • Do you experience this issue with a particular folder or file type?
    • Have you installed any third-party add-ins or programs that help you copy files?

In the meantime, let's try to disable the Hide folder merge conflicts option to resolve this issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View, and select Options in the ribbon.
    • Click the View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, uncheck Hide folder merge conflicts.
    • Try to copy a directory again to your external drive.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

1. duplicate files when copying folder with GUI - Similar Threads - duplicate files copying

2. Duplicating folders and files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicating folders and files: When reinstalling a program if there are any program files or folders left behind from the same program what happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicating-folders-and-files/5b9d8df3-9cd7-4a19-8890-3c43adc203bb
  3. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to keep both files when copying duplicates?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to copy emails from Outlook Microsoft Office Standard 2016 to a folder on my computer. It's 500+ emails, many emails in just a few threads. I am unable to copy all 500+ emails to the folder. When I try to copy a "duplicate" email the subject...
  4. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep both files when copying duplicates?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to copy emails from Outlook Microsoft Office Standard 2016 to a folder on my computer. It's 500+ emails, many emails in just a few threads. I am unable to copy all 500+ emails to the folder. When I try to copy a "duplicate" email the subject...
  5. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10: When copying files from one folder to another, the OS always warns if there is another folder or file with the same name. It is one of the prominent features of File Explorer, which makes sure the same files are not overwritten without consent. In case you are not receiving...
  7. Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive

Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive: When I installed OneDrive, I found that I have hundreds of duplicate files ending in "- Copy.*" These occur in the original folders and also the OneDrive folders. How do I delete all of the copies? Will this continue to occur?...
  8. Duplicate File folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Duplicate File folders: I have two identical file folders called BAS. Most of my business folders are in the BAS file. One BAS file is found in: This PC > Windows C: > Baile > Documents The other BAS file is found in: This PC Windows C: > Users > Baile > Documents Both reference...
  9. Duplicate copy music files

Duplicate copy music files: I've recently been transferring files to hard drives and I've notice the original file path now shows a duplicate file with a copy tag. I have tried to uncheck file merge path through settings. Is it possible to remove duplicates, rather than individual deleting? Best...
  10. Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?: I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use to backup large files. Usually, I just drag and drop the folders from my laptop to the external drive and Windows gives me an option to skip duplicate files AFTER it copies the new files. That has been working fine but now I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy folder gui

2. duplicate files when copying