Windows 10: Duplicate Files with very odd file extensions

Discus and support Duplicate Files with very odd file extensions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; That's a relief, is the ransomware PROTECTION, on Acronis very good? If I may continue with my original reason for posting, for some reason my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fromjim, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Fromjim Win User

Duplicate Files with very odd file extensions

That's a relief, is the ransomware PROTECTION, on Acronis very good?

If I may continue with my original reason for posting, for some reason my computer became near unusable and I installed clones of each drive, then the problem with duplicate files, I could not find a solution so I decided to remove the extension with the odd values, ex. img_201104.pdf~htrcrc26 , only the part including ~ and the file would become a regular file, I did this manually to all the files I could find and in Thunderbird I did basically the same thing, moving files from the folders with the odd extension in to folders with proper formatting, it took quite a while but all seems to work ok. The part i still need help with is for the email that does not exist in any form, that is the folders from 1999 to 2013 are no where to be found on my PC But I still have a working PC from 2013 that has the older email files. It won't connect over my network but I could transfer via USB, do I need to start a new thread to get help with this? I could mark this as solved and start a new thread, would I start in the section I am in now or could you suggest where to start it.

God bless
    James

Fromjim, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Fromjim Win User

I just don't know what to do or start, I am having problems after replacing problem drives with cloned drives, one SSD C:\ and HDD D:\ , both seem to be working good and computer works, but slowly, email takes longer to open and download, BUT the big problem is the thousands of duplicate files and folders, they seem to be growing, and I don't know if I should remove and how I could even find all that are safe to remove. I am going to try to attach screen shot files. tried a while ago and even lost my message, not sure how this works yet.

Duplicate Files with very odd file extensions [​IMG]

Sure hope this helps
    God bless
    James

:)

Fromjim, Apr 10, 2018
  3. copying of files with same name

Hi, Sharooque.

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you check file extensions of the folder or files. At times when files are stored in different location on the computer they will tend to create duplicates.

On the folder or drive that you suspect contains duplicates follow the steps below to check file extensions:

1. Go to the folder or drive.

2. Click on the "View" tab that is located on the top of the Window.

3. Then locate and check the box "File Name Extensions".

4. Right click on the duplicate files if they share the same date delete the files or folders.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Vanessa Sohtun, Apr 10, 2018
  4. TomCrotty Win User

Downloading Files of Unrecognized Extensions in Edge

This website (Index of /) has many files with odd extensions that can be used for testing purposes. It is not feasible to install different programs for all the extensions. In fact, many do not have any audio/video players that
    can play them.

Chrome downloads the files without a hitch and retains the correct extension. Edge changes the extension to *.html and downloads code. I have reproduced this on two different PCs.

I would VERY much prefer to use Edge over the resource intensive Chrome but this is a deal breaker, unfortunately. Can something be done?

TomCrotty, Apr 10, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Apr 10, 2018
  6. Fromjim Win User
    Thanks
    I am using Acronis True Image, it has ransomware built in and monitoring continuously

Fromjim, Apr 10, 2018
  7. bro67 Win User
    Incorrect. There is no ransomware built into Acronis.

bro67, Apr 10, 2018
  8. Fromjim Win User

The following has me confused,
    he says,
    bro67 said:

Incorrect. There is no ransomware built into Acronis.

Does anyone know why he would say this, I need to know, I have been using Acronsis and they advertise "Ransome ware Protection" Please help me make sure I have it.

God bless
    James

This is from my
    Acronis Software

Fromjim, Apr 10, 2018
  9. clam1952 Win User
    You have Ransomware Protection, not Ransomeware which is what you wrote. ;o)

clam1952, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Duplicate Files with very odd file extensions - Similar Threads - Duplicate Files very

2. file extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file extensions: Hello İ have win 11 installed and first thing I see is i can't open files like .iso .py etc.when I look at these files types it says like Windows.IsoFile for iso files and Python.File on .py files and it's really annoyingcan anyone help me how to fix it i put some examples on...
  3. duplicate files

duplicate files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-files/05631872-2ccc-4b6e-9b6f-c1a9e3cde954
  4. Files with no extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no extension: Hello, I have several files with no extension. Under file type, it just says "file". I'm not sure what happened tom change that. I recently downloaded Windows 11, if that means anything. My question is, is there any way I can add an extension to a file that would make it...
  5. Files with no extension

Files with no extension: Hello, I have several files with no extension. Under file type, it just says "file". I'm not sure what happened tom change that. I recently downloaded Windows 11, if that means anything. My question is, is there any way I can add an extension to a file that would make it...
  6. File extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File extensions: My antivirus software kaspersky has changed some file extensions in outlook - pptx has become ppt_ and xlsx has become xls_ I have resolved this but it has changed file extensions on many email attachments that I still need. I want to open these attachments but cannot...
  7. File extensions

File extensions: I downloaded some files from the internet and it won't allow me to change their file extensions note: i already tick the unhide file extension under folder options. The files are just greyed out and changing the file extensions just reverts them back to their original file...
  8. File extensions.

File extensions.: Can someone please tell me what extension I need to add to a screenshot of an "Administrator: Command Prompt" file in order to get it to upload? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extensions/9f112de0-bf26-4c53-b0c0-7847c4503296"
  9. file extension

file extension: hi, i don't know why but when i'm trying to set .pas extension by PASCAL app it is not sett, i'm trying again and again but nothing is received https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extension/9a8a6899-ad06-4c39-a55d-06371f2ec60d
  10. File extension

in Windows 10 Support
    File extension: How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899