Windows 10: Duplicate files

Discus and support Duplicate files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently noted that many files with different extensions have bee duplicated and given an extended file extension name including a "~" and 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jsmcwilliam, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Duplicate files

I have recently noted that many files with different extensions have bee duplicated and given an extended file extension name including a "~" and 8 letters and/or numbers e.g. *.txt~ABC4DE6F. Can anyone explain this and how I should act. If ther are temporary backups why are they visible and why are they not removed. I use ACRONIS 2019 for backup and am afraid that unnecessary diskspace is being used.
    John McWilliam

P.S. My specs are available in my profile.

:)

jsmcwilliam, Feb 26, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Feb 26, 2019
  3. How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Does the program you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Duplicate files

How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Do either of the programs you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Duplicate files

1. Duplicate files - Similar Threads - Duplicate files

2. duplicate One Drive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    duplicate One Drive files: I have two drives in my HP desktop. One is an SSD with the OS. The other is a disk drive with my data. I have One Drive on the data drive with my documents and pictures. However, for some reason, there is another One Drive folder with the same files on the SSD under...
  3. Can I delete duplicate system files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete duplicate system files?: I had moved my files from my OS drive to my DATA drive, because it had more space, and forgot to deselect the system files, and I cannot undo what I did. Is it safe to delete them? 132512
  4. How can I identify duplicate folders and file using Windows 10

How can I identify duplicate folders and file using Windows 10: How can I identify and delete duplicate folders and files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-identify-duplicate-folders-and-file/e2b4eef0-c3d6-4c4f-928b-636b351f81dc"
  5. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803. ***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, &...
  6. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....
  7. Duplicate files after syncing in Onedrive

Duplicate files after syncing in Onedrive: Is there any way to get rid of the duplicate file after syncing, other than wasting tons of time making sure your not deleting what you just saved and synced?...
  8. Desktop.ini files duplicating everywhere are breaking my computer

Desktop.ini files duplicating everywhere are breaking my computer: Hello I have been experiencing this issue for a while now with the desktop.ini files duplicating themselves all over and they cause my windows 10 build to break. What should I do? RogueNeon...
  9. File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates?

File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates?: Hello, I'm currently completing a project that involves managing thousands of files. I have a couple questions, curiosities that would help me out heaps if someone knows that these are possible actions. :) 1. I'm wondering if there is a way using Windows (or...
  10. When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made

When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made: I am trying to select photos from my PICTURES folder on my PC with Windows 10 and I want to make a copy eventually paste them on to an SD card. I started to select some and after about 10 pictures, I realized the computer started to make duplicates of the selected ones and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive creates duplicate files with computer name extensions