Windows 10: Duplicate files

Discus and support Duplicate files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently noted that many files with different extensions have bee duplicated and given an extended file extension name including a "~" and 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jsmcwilliam, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Duplicate files

I have recently noted that many files with different extensions have bee duplicated and given an extended file extension name including a "~" and 8 letters and/or numbers e.g. *.txt~ABC4DE6F. Can anyone explain this and how I should act. If ther are temporary backups why are they visible and why are they not removed. I use ACRONIS 2019 for backup and am afraid that unnecessary diskspace is being used.
    John McWilliam

P.S. My specs are available in my profile.

:)

jsmcwilliam, Feb 26, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Feb 26, 2019
  3. How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Does the program you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Duplicate files

How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Do either of the programs you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Duplicate files

1. Duplicate files - Similar Threads - Duplicate files

2. Onedrive duplicate files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive duplicate files: Hello: Why do one drive duplicate or triple files. And my storage always full. Is their a setting to stop one drive from duplicating files.? Patricia https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-duplicate-files/d970026d-2ba2-4fc2-a2d0-bbcb753add7b"
  3. duplicate files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    duplicate files: how can I remove duplicate songs in the windows media player 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-files/ad53a697-06dd-424f-83d5-1742cd8915f6
  4. Duplicate File Explorer Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Duplicate File Explorer Icon: After no issues since installing Windows 10 when it was first released, my File Explorer icon now opens a duplicate icon to the right of my pinned icons on the taskbar. All new instances of File Explorer open in a group under the new icon. When I hover over the new icon, it...
  5. REMOVING DUPLICATE FILES/FOLDERS USING WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    REMOVING DUPLICATE FILES/FOLDERS USING WINDOWS 10: Hi, I'm back. My laptop is running slow at times. It takes a minute to boot up and it'll freeze up at times on a webpage. When I try to close the page it doesn't close immediately. I would have to click the "X" several times but it closes. I know I have duplicate...
  6. Onenote Duplicating Files

Onenote Duplicating Files: I work at Elder High School and for a while now we have had experienced a lot of issues with Onenote duplicating files. To further explain, the OneNote documents will go 'read-only' and OneDrive says, "Cannot sync changes" and then will start duplicating files. Any help would...
  7. File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  8. File history forgets locations, duplicates files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history forgets locations, duplicates files: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  9. duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

duplicate files when copying folder with GUI: When I try copy user folders quite often I get the message that folder/file already exists, I copy c:\program data or c:\users user folders from one hard drive to a brand new computer with brand new hard disk, so that folder/file absolutely sure doesn't exist on the new one,...
  10. OneDrive complaining about duplicate files (pictures)

OneDrive complaining about duplicate files (pictures): I see a lot of complaints about Duplicates on OneDrive, but my problem is the opposite - I can't upload (Sync) duplicated files (pictures). I have a Laptop with around a 24 GB Documents and a 100 GB Pictures folder stored on my OneDrive cloud. I have an OLD Laptop that...